Seeking Info on Farms, Markets, and Food

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSeeking Info on Farms, Markets, and Food

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m new here and looking for any and all recs about local food and agriculture in the Chengdu area. Any cool local farms or pick-your-own places? Anyone doing urban farming or organic or aquaponics? Know of any niche local food producers? Know a good Chengdu-based ecommerce grocery? Anyone have a particularly great produce market? Huge wholesale food markets? Local restaurants sourcing sustainably? Know where I can get an avocado? Any forum users working in the food/ag sector out here or similarly interested & want to grab a drink or venture out to a farm? Would love to connect.

Participant

hi, there are many local agriculture food ,fruits and vegetables , such as pears , juice peaches , walnuts ,oranges , sweet potatoes , potatoes , peanuts , carrots , cabbages, spicy pepper , Asparagusplettuce and so on . if u need help , contact me via skype or wechat : alicelisc
    email : [email protected]
    QQ:2933046181

Participant

Many farmers in my hometown plant these agriculture food . if interest ,pls. contact with me .

Participant

fresh walnuts, interesting ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Keymaster

Hi all,

I’m new here and looking for any and all recs about local food and agriculture in the Chengdu area. Any cool local farms or pick-your-own places? Anyone doing urban farming or organic or aquaponics? Know of any niche local food producers? Know a good Chengdu-based ecommerce grocery? Anyone have a particularly great produce market? Huge wholesale food markets? Local restaurants sourcing sustainably? Know where I can get an avocado? Any forum users working in the food/ag sector out here or similarly interested & want to grab a drink or venture out to a farm? Would love to connect.

Hi,

There are a lot of small-ish farms outside of Chengdu, but virtually none within the city (that I have seen at least). One area to check out is Flower Town, even though it specializes in flowers, it is a significant agricultural base very close to Chengdu. As far as markets to check out in the city, I like the Yulin Produce Market. It’s a pretty good size and conveniently located in the center of the Yulin neighborhood. Avocado is difficult to find and very expensive in Chengdu (try Ito Yokado in Chunxi Lu).

Good luck and welcome to Chengdu!

Participant

A common thing i’ve heard from students and locals: “There is no organic food in China”. Chinese are extremely cynical (with good reason) about food quality, and very skeptical about anything labelled “green” or “natural”. It just doesn’t make economic sense and the regulatory or certification process is totally inadequate.

Participant

There are a few “organic” farms in and around chengdu Sunyuki and sunshine farm there is another in the south maybe 20 minute drive south of century city i’m sure there is more if i put more effort into it :-). I’ve talked to a few of them, they are willing to grow what you want if its a fair amount, they have sister farms in taiwan and shanghai as well, i think sunyuki delivers a mix bunch of veg once a week if you join there shopping list…avocados are around….some are willing to rent you space to grow what you want as well, i guess depending how into you are.

Participant

Here’s a couple of links to nearby organic farms. I haven’t personally checked them out yet but my gf’s colleague is buddies with the Anlong people and he says it’s legit.

I think I’ve also been to the Sunyuki or Sunshine one mentioned above. Well, it was some Taiwan-affiliated organic farm in Xinjin, which is a satellite city about an hour southwest of Chengdu. Forget the name though.

I buy avocados at my local Carrefour (Tongzilin) or at the Treat supermarket at Raffles mall (Sichuan Gymnasium metro stop). They are pretty seasonal here though. At this time of year they’re a bit harder to find or sometimes so hard it’s not even worth it.

If you end up finding anything amazing, would be great if you could share!

http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/chinaurbandevelopmentblog/42599/organic-farming-china-chengdu-s-anlong-village

http://cywc.org/ohm/?p=284

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.