Share Your Restaurant Experiences

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionShare Your Restaurant Experiences

• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoAlan.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Let`s share some of the experience related to the F&B outlets in Chengdu.

Recently I have tried 2 spots:

1) The Spot. As many state – the best burger house in Chengdu. What can I say? I do agree. Prices are relatively average, though getting quite high for local foreigners, I guess. Average price for burgers is 60 RMB. Nice, but at the same time limited, selection of imported beers. Club-dance music would not match any of the F&B environment. In the given case it is not exception. Interesting combination. Considering, that Jellyfish and Cafe Paname are just next door, The Spot may be a good place to start evening. Service is quite nice.

2) Sultan. Turkish restaurant.

1 Yulin Nan Jie, No.14 Dushi Jin’an Bldg, Chengdu

成都玉林南街1号都市金岸附14号,玉林会所楼下

Very simple interior. Couple of small private rooms separated from the main hall by thin curtains. English-Chinese menu. Have tried Airan (milk-cheese-yoghurt traditional drink) for 20 RMB per glass. DOes not really taste the same with the ones I was drinking in Turkey, but still quite ok.

Overall, there are not so many attratcive options in the menu. Salads are nice, especially the ones with traditional cheese, which is melting in mouth. Kebabs are not worth trying – too much cabbage which falls down of bread all the time, tasteless meat. Soups are definitely worth trying. I went for mushroom soup, which was quite thick, kind of puree with completely grinded mushrooms, so the liquid is smooth. For starters, main courses and drinks price was 170 per 2 pax. Free wifi.

Service is nice. Have noticed some other foreigners dining there.

Least likely will go there for the second time, though overall I was quite satisfied.

Participant

The Spot is busy/popular towards the end of the night, when people leave jelly/paname often go there for a bite – and seemed to me the few times I’ve been there late at night the bread was really fresh and great, suggest the steak sandwich.

Valentines dinner there was _shite_ though, not sure if it was a different chef/rented out for a dinner event or what, but the dinner that night was pretty much a huge disappointment.

Keymaster

Recently I’ve been going to a small Korean fried chicken place in Yulin, within the Yulin Shenghuo Guangchang complex. It’s a tiny place with 4 tables run by a Korean couple from Seoul, but the food is fantastic. Very reasonably priced and they deliver, also. I got some photos which I will post here along with the address and phone number.

Quote:
    The Spot. As many state – the best burger house in Chengdu. What can I say?

Oh but have you sampled The Brendan Burger!? Rather tasty if I do say so myself. Run along to The Lazy Pug and grab at it.

Keymaster

I just added the Korean restaurant to Chengdu Places: Myeongdong Korean Restaurant. Check this place out, the fried chicken is the best I’ve had in Asia!

Participant

I have always been a big fan of A Boluza’s lunch special. A full-size pizza (try the pancetta), a soup or salad and a coffee. At RMB70 it’s a decent price and will fill you up. The service here isn’t great, but with only 6 tables it’s not too hard to get what you need. A Boluza is located deep in the maze of restaurants behind the Carrefour in Tongzilin.

A more budget friendly option is Rice Plus. My favorite is the Japanese Pork Curry for RMB 23 or so for a large serving. I usually do delivery for this and it’s always at my door in less than 20 minutes. I believe they are still closed at the moment but should open again soon.

Participant

I agree The Spot is excellent, Rice Plus too. Not so keen on the sultan anymore. That place has really went downhill in my opinion. The service there is a joke.

I’ll need to try the Korean place, its not too far from me. Another restaurant close by that is really nice is the little Taiwanese BBQ place on 玉洁巷

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Another restaurant close by that is really nice is the little Taiwanese BBQ place on 玉洁巷

I went there last year on someone’s recommendation, good food and really friendly proprietors but I found the price to be pretty high for a casual night out.

Quote:
    Not so keen on the sultan anymore. That place has really went downhill in my opinion. The service there is a joke.

Went to try it once. The service was so bad that we just left after 20 minutes of them refusing to take our order. Staff standing around idly, no one else in the restaurant. Fuck that place.

Rice Plus is an amazing value for tasty food.

Lazy Pug still has the best burgers in the city. Homemade tortilla chips and salsa are amazeballs.

The Spot has a good burger, terrible music.

Cacaja has OK Indian food. Some dishes are missing authenticity. Good dessert yogurts. Nice atmosphere, a little on the expensive side.

Elephant Thai at Top City. Nothing is actually Thai. Don’t do it.

Sabrina’s has a lot of nice baked goods, and good soups, but the burger, grilled cheese, pasta are not great. Only place in town you’ll get to dine to Christian rock though, if that’s your thing.

Japanese Ramen place in Jiuyanqiao. Forgot what it was called, but this place is awesome.

All you can eat sushi place next to the Cacaja in Chicony mall. Decent sushi that isn’t very fresh. Good duck. All you can eat, made to order and a huge selection. Might not be worth 180/person though, but it’s close.

Dave’s Oasis Nice dive bar. Video games. Cheap drinks, good pizza, amazing poutine, and poker nights.

All these spots are pretty well documented though. It would be more useful to share those hole-in-the-wall gems.

Participant

Rice Plus is outstanding value. Great music and mags, service is now very good too…

Participant

Rice Plus is outstanding value. Great music and mags, service is now very good too…

Participant

Charlie, just tried Myeongdong Korean Restaurant and left pretty happy. Fried chicken for 2 people ran RMB59 and we had some Ramen noodles and 炒年糕 as well. The chicken was really good and the owner is a nice guy.

Participant

Can anyone suggest nice steak house?

Participant

Anyone has some experience at Golden Hans ? For 40 kuai they advertise all you can eat sudden american style grilled meat, and all you can drink beer ? or is the last part just a dream…

Participant

Tried the one at Shuangnan, behind the Ren Ren Le a few years ago. The free beer was only at lunch in those days. It ain’t gourmet dining, but it was good value. As a result, it is often INSANELY crowded at the feeding trough…The brazilian BBQ that they bring around from table to table was actually pretty decent…

Participant
    Quote:
    Japanese Ramen place in Jiuyanqiao. Forgot what it was called, but this place is awesome.

The one opposite Underground? That place is great. They have a second restaurant in the Silver mall on Chunxi lu. I tend to go for the 48rmb set meals in stead of the rice.

Another great place to get ramen is the noodle bar in the Isetan basement supermarket. It can be a bit of a guessing game when ordering unless you speak or read Chinese. There’s normally a queue unless you go at the right time.

Tandoor opposite the Bookworm tastes good but the prices are excessive and the portions too small.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.