Sichuan Cultural Gift Suggestions

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSichuan Cultural Gift Suggestions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

What kind of gifts from this area would you give to your friends and family from home? Something that represents the culture you’ve experienced in Chengdu. This can also include influences from nearby regions like XinJiang, Tibet, GuiZhou, Yunnan etc.

Keymaster

I like Tibetan stuff. I’ve given Tibetan jewelry and Chupas as gifts before and people love them. Calligraphy or art makes a great gift as well, which you can find at the Songxian Art Market.

Participant

Meat candy for everyone!

meat-candy.jpg

I just made a huge purchase on taobao consisting of: Jiangxi style porcelain jewelry, Tibetan style jewelry, portable speakers, tea cups, Sichuan opera mask collection, bear claw slippers, vintage styled Chinese propaganda and pinup posters, 八卦 mirrors.

A good mix of cultural stuff and silly things from China. Basically did my Christmas shopping for less than 1000 RMB.

I still want to buy some tea though. Anyone have suggestions on where I can get good quality tea? for around 50-100 RMB?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I still want to buy some tea though. Anyone have suggestions on where I can get good quality tea? for around 50-100 RMB?

You can get tea all over the place at pretty low prices, but if you want really good stuff at a price lower than anywhere else, go to the tea market in the North of Chengdu. I can’t recall the name of it right now but it’s been mentioned on the forum a few times before.

Participant

lol @ Vincent. I’m hitting up Wowo for some ‘foot of chicken.’ I’ve always wondered if KFC was ever going to come out with a bucket of chicken feet. Watching natives go at those things with those clear plastic gloves is gratuitously on par with my old neighbor in Chicago who used to regularly sit on the porch of our apartment and dive into a big, greasy bucket of wings from Harold’s Chicken Shack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.