So I went to Xiong Mao yesterday

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSo I went to Xiong Mao yesterday

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

and it was dead, completely dead. Yet they were still charging a cover of 50元 (the only reason I know that it was dead was because the guy at the door let us check it out before we decided to pay). The music was really good, but that’s not enough pay that much money. A few others have told me that no one goes there any more. Why? Is it too far away or what? Or does Disco Death still even happen there? Where do the Hipsters go now?

In fact, the whole area was dead and smelled like a very familiar bubble (I’m from California, which got hit really hard in 2008/2009). The only populated place was the 7-11.

I was at the Jelly fish and Paname last night and it was fully packed.

Participant

CSers were at Buzzbar last night. They had a good mix of reggae and soca. Paname was packed.

Jellyfish was popping. They played remixed to top 40s and popular music with a good mix. The Ladies night free drinks was also a big plus to that.

I think that Discodeath still plays at Xiong Mao, but you should really check on Douban when it’s happening.

From what I hear these day from both foreigners and locals is Jah Bar. That’s the place to be. (apparently)

Keymaster

I could write 2,000 words on this topic.

Here’s what’s up though: people generally only go to Xiong Mao for one or maybe two events per month. The venue is open all the time, and they usually have events on Friday and Saturday, but the location is so remote and the club doesn’t really promote the nights that much. Xiong Mao is also a gigantic venue, which is great for the rare event where it’s full, but it’s a detriment most of the rest of the time.

Jovian and I have been doing Disco Death at Xiong Mao every month for years at Xiong Mao but it’s gotten difficult to bring guests on a regular basis because of the costs involved. We still do it most months (we did this in August which was fun) but we’re skipping this month because of National Day which starts next week.

I used to do events at a lot of different venues (Paname pre-2009, Hemp House 2006-2008, etc) and that was fun. It was a different era though, I don’t enjoy going to Jellyfish or Paname now and haven’t for years. Disco Death really needs to be in a club also, it’s usually not bar music.

Right now there really aren’t a lot of venue options for a DJ event. You’re either in a bar where the music is an afterthought or a commercial Chinese club. Xiong Mao is a truly great venue, but it hasn’t found success in terms of drawing a regular crowd. Hopefully they turn it around but it’s looking less likely as we’re now over a year past the opening and I think its popularity has declined. I think it would take a dramatic shake up to experience a rebirth because the current idea of Xiong Mao is not something that has demonstrated it has a huge following in Chengdu.

Which is sad, because the potential is there, but Chengdu isn’t quite ready for it.

I’ve pretty much given up on this place, which is sad to say when it has massive potential, but it’s depressing showing up to a gig that NO ONE has bothered to promote properly. Promotion needs to be consistent, even more so in Chengdu where you’re trying to introduce new music to new people.

I can see the music park facing redevelopment before too long if they don’t come up with something solid to draw many more people in, which is a real shame because you won’t see anything else like it here for a long long time if it fails.

Participant
    Quote:
    Yet they were still charging a cover of 50元

50元 for an open bar till 1.30am.

Quote:
    In fact, the whole area was dead and smelled like a very familiar bubble (I’m from California, which got hit really hard in 2008/2009). The only populated place was the 7-11.

That’s the only place that makes money in the whole park…you could maybe add the new venue 拾得雨林

Quote:
    I used to do events at a lot of different venues (Paname pre-2009, Hemp House 2006-2008, etc) and that was fun. It was a different era though, I don’t enjoy going to Jellyfish or Paname now and haven’t for years.

Agreed. When I first came here Paname and Hemp house were the best places to go. I’d rather just avoid that whole Blue Caribbean area now.

Quote:
    I can see the music park facing redevelopment before too long if they don’t come up with something solid to draw many more people in, which is a real shame because you won’t see anything else like it here for a long long time if it fails.

Agreed.

Keymaster

Yesterday I heard that Xiong Mao will close. This is the first time I’ve heard that. Is there any truth to this?

Participant

Those rumours have been floating about for a while.

The Panda Attack events on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday look good.

Pet Conspiracy are booked for October 20th. I expect that to be big too.

Participant

The Panda Attack events on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday look good.

Pet Conspiracy are booked for October 20th. I expect that to be big too.

How about Oct4th. Who’s in?

Keymaster
    Quote:

Oct 4th for what?

Keymaster
    Quote:

Oct 4th for what?

Keymaster
    Quote:

Is there any truth to them? Confirm/deny? I assume you would know better than anyone else here.

I hope that Xiong Mao doesn’t close but I would understand if it did.

Keymaster
    Quote:

Is there any truth to them? Confirm/deny? I assume you would know better than anyone else here.

I hope that Xiong Mao doesn’t close but I would understand if it did.

Participant
    Quote:
    I assume you would know better than anyone else here.

Nobody from the club has said anything about it to me but many people have asked me about it.

Participant
    Quote:
    I assume you would know better than anyone else here.

Nobody from the club has said anything about it to me but many people have asked me about it.

Keymaster
    Quote:

Fingers crossed!

Keymaster
    Quote:

Fingers crossed!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.