Stay Away from Freedur

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionStay Away from Freedur

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Usually I just swallow my negative thoughts about a particular service or product, but I feel like I should let others know about this one. I tried Freedur based on the positive comments I saw on Chengdu living. My experience is quite different from what others have had. The service was mediocre at best. The software caused some problems with my computer which isn’t necessarily the Freedur’s fault. What I do fault them for is an inconsistent service. I have heard the explanation for why connection speed might be slow but there were times when I couldn’t logon to a serer at all. When I could log on the access to certain servers was always changing. One day all their servers were UK servers the next day they were all US servers.

As if it wasn’t enough to offer a lackluster service they gave me a hard time after I canceled the service. I will admit that on their site they say that you have to cancel payments through PayPal on your own, but really is the $13.95 so crucial for their success that they can’t refund it when someone forgets to do it? There response made feel like they had this kind of attitude: “we aren’t concerned about your satisfaction, we don’t care if our competitors are better, and even though we didn’t live up to your expectations we are still going to take your money and offer no apologies so get lost.”

Maybe other people like Freedur but from my own person experience I can honestly say STAY AWAY FROM FREEDUR! Thanks to Charlie I have MUCH better VPN service with http://www.vpntraffic.com that so far has blown Freedur out of the water. It’s not only a better quality service but the price is so much better. I like it so much that I recommended it to my wife and she got one full year up front.

So Freedur can keep the $13.95 and in return I’ll try my best to convince as many people as I can that their service isn’t worth the waste of time or money.

Use freegate……. Send me u email and I drop u a mail with freegate attached. Its “fast”,free and uncomplicated !

Keymaster

I hear what you’re saying about Freedur having problems recently. Thing is, the IP addresses that their servers use are getting blocked all the time so it’s a constant cat and mouse game of moving to new IP addresses (which results in the UK-US server switches that you describe). Also, the folks behind Freedur have been working on a new project so the VPN service doesn’t have their full attention. Their service has been satisfactory for me though, I submitted a ticket yesterday about an error message and they got back to me within a few hours. But yeah, I feel your frustration, it can be a hassle sometimes.

I’m glad that VPNTraffic has been working better for you though. Although we’ve done a few Freedur giveaways on Chengdu Living and that’s the VPN that I use personally, I think it’s great that there are so many VPN options. I hear that Witopia is great, too.

You know, since publishing the original Freedur giveaway a year ago, we get a lot of emails from VPN providers. They find the VPN giveaways through Google searches and petition us to help promote their VPN services on the site. My usual reply is: give me free accounts to give away to readers and I’ll provide some exposure. This was exactly the arrangement with VPNTraffic. As I get more VPN’s approaching me, I’ll be giving away all the accounts for free on here so look out for those.

I had been using Astrill open VPN when I landed here 3 months ago, but decided to let my 3 month subscription expire after several dropped connections.

I’ve since been using goldenfrog’s VyprVPN, which although expensive at $20 monthly, it has given me rock solid connection since day one. Set up is via google’s ‘tunnelblick’ protocol, and configuration requires a workaround for anyone running Mac OS X 10.5 or lower, but it’s still 100%. Support promises live response within 15 minutes too, and for the most part this is a promise that’s been kept.

Any students here might want to investigate University VPN’s in the US/UK/Europe. I know for certain that a number of US Universities have their own VPN servers, which potentially offer superior connection speeds due to the small number of active users.

well, what to do? my freedur is choking up my mac~

I paid for bi annually package~ geez…

great firewall is hard to leap, anyway we are here by choice..so haha gotta face it..

Feel like trying out other reliable VPN..for Mac, any recommendation?

Keymaster

The first two I’d try are http://www.witopia.net and http://www.strongvpn.com both of them support Mac.

Hi Charlie, did u notice anything for the past week when freedur’s cpu usage hits very high percentage and cause the fans to churn at high RPMs?

I emailed them, they refused to give me an official reply..

Thanks for the recommendation, if i could only get my refund~

Chris~

Keymaster

No, I haven’t noticed anything like that. Usually when Freedur stops working for me, I close the app and reopen it and it works. Sometimes the service will be out for a few hours but that’s the most I’ve experienced.

They refused to give you an official reply? That’s odd. I haven’t submitted many tickets but when I have, they always responded within a day. Good luck-

Ya they kept quiet about it, anyway i can’t be too bothered with it anymore. Haha~

Usually i corresponded with Livia, the last email from them was from Matthews.

I sent a ticket about the high CPU activity of the app and they did not respond since 2 weeks back?

Its pretty obvious they have to respond to you since your site promotes them~

As for others, we won’t know about their after sales services.

No choice since we are behind the great firewall~

Chris~

Keymaster

That’s true. Anyway, good luck, if you find another VPN service that works without issue and is as to use as Freedur, definitely share the info here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.