Studying in Chengdu – Some Questions

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionStudying in Chengdu – Some Questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi my name is Daniel. I have been following the forums for a while but this is my first post. I was just accepted into my study abroad program in Chengdu. The University I am studying at is Southwest University for Nationalities. I have a few questions I was hoping you veterans could give me a good answer on.

The first is where to live, should I live. I have to either choose the dorms, or an off campus apartment. I was leaning towards the apartment since I think it might expose me to more culture. My goal is to be immersed as possible. Would I get the same level if I choose the dorms though? It would be nice to have the safety net of living on campus.

The second question is what to bring. I will be arriving in August and studying for a year. I have read on other posts to bring deodorant, and clothes if you are taller. What is considered taller by Chinese standards though? I wear size large shirt, and a US 11 in shoes, this wouldn’t be considered large here but is it there? Also should I bring clothes for the whole year or should I plan on buying some clothes in once I arrive?

The last thing I was wondering is should I plan to buy a bike, or are the buses a better option? I have read on the forums that many people use bikes.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Daniel

Size 11 shoes (45-46) can be found here. You’ll probably be sizing up to XL. Finding clothes here shouldn’t be that hard. Deodorants here aren’t as strong and kind of pricey, so bringing your own would be a good idea.

Big bike culture here so many people will encourage you to get one. It’s definitely the most convenient way around the city in terms of speed and convenience. Just be sure to get a good lock and don’t leave it outside at night. Also be careful or else you could end up with stitches or a head wound like me.

I would try living in the dorms for a short period and go apartment shopping for a place you like. Apartment searching can be a long process that should not be rushed. Living in the dorms is an interesting experience in itself.

Participant

Hi,@Daniel

Southwest University for Nationalities owns individual building as overseas students’ apartments which is located on Xi man qiao heng jie,and with elevators.I saw there’ve been many overseas students.The area in which the you may live embraces Tibetan culture and sometime there’ll be quite a few cops along the street since some sensitive ethnic conflicts.

Many peole choose to live in the southern part of chengdu,Tongzilin area usually.But i considered that it might not be as that convenient as you live inside campus,thus u can totally concentrate on your study.U could aks the admission office if they can supply a room for a single person.Though almost every dorm includes 4-6beds in campus,sometimes there might be some extra spare ones.Just tell them the truth-maybe u suffer from insomnia,neurasthenia..Maybe just for religious reasons,or you are such a inner-shine guy who better lives his own.

Don’t worry about clothes and other shopping stuff.U could have almost everything done on the Internet.Taobao,360buy and some online-group-buyings…cheaper and more convenient.

u can get a bike from a campus exchanging market or fleamarkets,cheap and common in campus.These items of thrift market information usually are post on a campus-bbs.For example,SCU(www.lsxk.org) U don’t need to buy a professional and expensive one if u just use it as a tool ride.Too many bike thieves.U can get a bus card named Tianfutong for both bus and subway when you arrive in chengdu.

Participant

Yeah, I second everything that Onosaka just said. I’ve talked to a few of the guys in your program, they said that getting an apartment is definitely the way to go. The dorms let you get to know some Chinese students a little better, but they’re pretty small, expensive when compared to what you could get in an apartment, privacy is an issue, communal bathroom/kitchen, 等等. The apartments that Onosaka mentioned seem pretty good, I’m not sure what they cost. I get ~80 sqm for 1600 元/mth., 6th floor, which I split with my roommate, and I live literally right next to campus.

Riding a bike is actually the fastest way to travel here, because of the traffic. I rode in a car for ~30km yesterday coming back from outside of Chengdu, we had a friend on a bike who left at the same time we did and actually managed to beat us back. Get a respirator if you do decide to bike, though; they’re pretty easy to find once you get here.

Participant

Thanks for all the advice guys. =D

Quote:
    Also be careful or else you could end up with stitches or a head wound like me.

Single best piece of advice in this thread. Could also apply to apartment hunting. Wait and see.

😀

Participant

I actually live in the SWUN dorms although I dont study here. The dorms are very good, compared to many other university dorms in Chengdu and also abroad. Depending on the program you are in you pay 500 to 900, the USAC students pay 900 and I believe SWUNs own students pay 500. You get for that a room with Tv, airco, bathroom (western style) and internet. My elektricity and water fee was 250 for 6 months but this varies per person. You basicly live in a hotel because the upper floors are international student dorms but everything under is hotel, with 24/7 security and entrance. As far as the rooms, they are similiar. Classes are on the second floor so quite easy to go to class after a tough weekend of partying. You are probably right about missing out on immersing with local life. Although this depends on you as a person. Or you hangout with the foreigners or you go out and make friends on or off campus. So far my 2 cents. Good luck with your choice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.