Symphony Orchestra Concert, Sunday (free tix)

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSymphony Orchestra Concert, Sunday (free tix)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As part of the International Kite Festival, there will be a symphony orchestra concert at the Jiaozi Musical Hall (first ring road) on Sunday evening (17th May) at 7.30pm.

I have some free tickets so anyone interested please let me know and you can collect them from me at the Underground Bar.

Best wishes,

Gary

Participant

Which symphony orchestra? Could I get 4 tickets, if you have that many?

Participant

Hi Jane,

I am not entirely sure but I think it is the Sichuan Symphony Orchestra but strangely there is also some mention on an Italian Opera.

Anyway, yes, you can collect 4 tickets and I’m going to do it on a first-come, first served basis so your tickets are ‘in the bag’.

One thing I forgot to mention (and I have no idea why they are stipulating this), is that the tickets are for foreigners only. This is not the type of policy I endorse (I think it is discriminatory) but the people giving me these tickets have explicitly expressed this stipulation.

Best wishes,

Gary

Participant

Hey Gary,
    I’d like 4 as well if you can spare them!

Participant

Hi Lino,

Yes, that’s fine. The tickets will be available for collection tomorrow and Saturday night in the Underground Bar. I’m picking them up tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,

Gary

Participant

Does anybody know how to surf the Net in Chinese to find out what the program is? And how much tickets normally are for this Sunday?

And it’s this Sunday the 19th, right? (not the 17th, as posted)

Will you be at Underground with the tickets tonight around 9:00?

Participant

Hi Gary,

Could you please put me down for 3.

Much appreciated!

Participant

Hi Boris, no problem. I’ll put you down for 3. Cheers, Gary

@Jane – I can’t find anything on the net about it except a listing on GoChengdoo. Apologies about the date; you’re right, it is the 19th. I will be in the Underground tonight but I won’t have the tickets. I’m picking up the tickets tomorrow afternoon and I’ve been promised 15. So, it looks like I have 4 remaining. 🙂

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Gary

Participant

One thing I forgot to mention (and I have no idea why they are stipulating this), is that the tickets are for foreigners only. This is not the type of policy I endorse (I think it is discriminatory) but the people giving me these tickets have explicitly expressed this stipulation.

So… I always wonder about these ‘foreigner only’ deals. I always get the impression when they say ‘foreigner only’, they generally only want people who ‘look foreign’. I mean, I’m not from China but I look Chinese, so do I still count? I kind of assume it defeats their purpose of their foreigner only stipulation.

If that’s OK though, it’d be nice if I could get 2 tickets.

Participant

No problem Adrian. I totally agree. Consider 2 ticket yours.

I now have 2 left.

Cheers,

Gary

Participant

Hey Gary, if you still have them, can I have the last two tickets, please?

Participant

Hi Iona,

Sorry for the delay; had to go off to ‘work’ 🙂

I’ve saved the last two tickets for you!

That’s it; no more tickets left. I am collecting them this afternoon and people will be able to pick them up from me at the Underground Bar tonight or tomorrow evening from 7pm.

Best wishes,

Gary

Participant

Gary – It was a trip going to that concert tonight, and I want to thank you for the free tix!

First, there were many little children in the audience. Two of my kids came with me, so it was a comfortable atmosphere for them. Then, about 70 3rd graders all dressed in white fancy outfits marched up on stage with, get this, fake, paper or tape-made or something orchestral instruments. The ensemble sang instead of playing the instruments.

Then, the real Symphony came onstage, and performed well-known Italian and French songs, with about 5 different soloist opera singers in the first half. The second half of the concert was Chinese songs, from minority to very popular classical operatic-style music.

The house kept the lights on during the whole evening. The whole atmosphere was very casual and very accessible. Towards the end of the show, one of the soloists invited us all to clap along with the solo – it seemed spontaneous on his part. At any given moment, at least 30 people in the crowd of about 800 were videotaping the performance. I did some videotaping too! Our seats in the 5th row were great. Nobody was talking on their cell phones, that I could tell, which I also appreciated.

So, all in all, a unique experience. The Chengdu Symphony has only been around since 2002, they said. They could definitely use some improvement, but who cares, it was great that we could access this kind of culture right here in Chengdu.

Also, I met – sorry, was it Victor and Ivona? from this forum. Nice to meet you.

Thanks again!
    Jane

Participant

Oh, it was Iona whom I met – Hi, Iona! 🙂

Participant

Yes, Gary, it was a great evening listening to some beautiful music, a real treat, so thank you for the tickets!

The Sichuan Junior Paper Orchestra were super cute & I loved the designs on their ‘instruments’.

The pieces the Symphony Orchestra played were well known & great to hear & the soloists were impressive.

Jane, it was nice to meet you, hope your children enjoyed it as well!

Thanks again Gary!

(I tried to add some photos but it didn’t work…)

Participant

I have to add my thanks here too!
    I have been to a few orchestras in Europe and really enjoyed seeing an orchestra here in Chengdu, even more with internationally recognized solo singers.

Thanks Gary!

Participant

Massive thanks Gary – great evening!

Participant

It seems all the tickets went to good and appreciating homes. I am really pleased everyone enjoyed it. I wish I could have been there too but sadly I had work commitments.

Anyway, I’m really pleased it was a successful and enjoyable occasion.

Best wishes, Gary

Participant

Wanted to chime in and thank Gary for the tickets also.

It was an good night out, music was good and the seats were fantastic.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.