Teaching Contract Questions

HomeForumsClassifiedsJobs & Apartment RentalsTeaching Contract Questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi folks!

I am moving to Chengdu this August and now got several offers to teach English. While the employment contracts seem to be quit a little different from that in the US, I’m concerned with term like:

1) The breach penalty to the employee. It seems like 2 month salary is common. But one contract indicated a number more than the total salary of the contract year.

2) Work time is defined as “at least” 20 hours a week. There’s an overtime rate. I wonder if this will become a problem later if they assign too much teaching hours.

3) If you take more than 3 days personal leave, 2 days salary will be deducted for each day’s absent.

Should I talk to the companies/schools or simply walk away form such contract? Thank you very much!

Participant

Contracts are to be negotiated. If you’re unhappy with some provisions simply say they’re not acceptable, and find out what’s workable. They’ll try to push for own interests most obviously, so push back for yours – and if they aren’t agreeable, there are tons of English teaching jobs out there so just move on..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Jobs & Apartment Rentals’ is closed to new topics and replies.