Thanks, Cemeteries & other things

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionThanks, Cemeteries & other things

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Study Chinese

Firstly I want to thank you all for a wonderful site with a wealth of information. Now I think I can go ahead and study Chinese. Please correct/advise me when I am wrong. Have decided on the I pad. I can download what I need to my laptop and then via I Cloud transfer to the I Pad. The I Pad does not have to be connected to the internet.

Transport

The 1st time I encountered driving on the wrong side was in Russia. Somebody grabbed me by the collar and pulled me back as I was stepping in front of a bus. I bought an electric scooter (48V 20AH) Need some guts for a Whitey and wife. This was a good buy. Now more than ever I realize that I have to extra careful in traffic (don’t want to find a lawyer). Most people don’t look and will step in front of oncoming traffic, especially here in Huayang. I love the Metro system, cheap comfortable, and fast…and also English. “Incubation Park” is a bit of a misnomer?

Maps

Google Earth is fine, but I have found Nokia Maps to be the best. Places can be saved. A person can find all the bus stops with their names, but it is no help if you can’t see the routes. Maybe local government is busy with this? This is where the I Phone will help methinks.

Computer speed

We have ADSL and the speed as tested by various sites seems to be 0.4—3.3 Mb/s. Am still a babe in arms re computers. Got my 1st desktop when I was 60, and that was almost 10 yrs. ago. Unlimited for 108 RMB/m.

Health & Restaurants

Have some tennis elbow now. Asked for a quote for a cortisone injection from a laowai group. 1300 plus..plus. Are the xpats ripping each other off? Got that idea eating at 2 “Western” restaurants. At the 1st ring road in Renmin Lu, walk north for about 800m and on the left is a buffet restaurant. 100 for 2 people with nice salads and a reasonable steak. Went to Dave’s but he was closed. This was at 1400 hrs.’ Still want to visit Leana’s bakery to get ingredients for making rusks.

Haggle!

A few weeks ago we decided to buy a printer. I went to Computer Street and liked the HP 2050. The 1st shop quoted 460.The next shop 430.The next one 400. The following weekend my wife went with me and after some gesticulating and harsh words on both sides we left with the printer, having paid 350. Celebrated by going to above mentioned restaurant!

Humidity

Clothes do not dry easily! Pestered my wife till she got a dryer from Taobao. This is a plastic shroud with warm air blowing through the clothes. Takes about 2 minutes to set up. Works like a charm. Price about 270.

Still can’t visualise having tomorrow’s chicken tied to the wheel of my scooter innocently crowing away.

Cemeteries…..later

Participant

invest in cemeteries will be very promising in China 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.