Things to do in Taipei?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionThings to do in Taipei?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I’m going to Taipei for 5 days – any suggestions on things to do or see there? So far everyone has mentioned the food and the night markets, so I will definitely see about those two.

Any other suggestions from people who’ve lived there or visited? Thanks in advance!

Participant

The Elephant Mountain hiking trails aren’t bad (though I wouldn’t call them a hike rather a short climb). If the weather is clear then there are nice views from the top; if interested you can find many trails nearby the Taipei 101 building. Do visit the 101; the observation deck is cool (been in my share of tall buildings and these elevators are sick) and I thought that giant ball (stabilizing building) was cool – overall, they give a lot of info about the architecture/construction, etc. which I liked. Also had coffee and hung out at a bucks on level 35(?) that offered a view.

The Palace Museum could work if you have an interest in Chinese antiquities with two caveats: there could be massive queues here (mainland tour groups) so be mentally prepared for that (though I am told that you could visit late afternoon or evening when less people are around); and definitely hook up a guide so that you can understand the significance and meaning of this stuff.

cheers.

Participant

Taiwan,the best view is the people,this is the name of a new book,I like it very much,but it is in chinese.What the most impressed me is  that a mountaintop now so many local young people like to go to have tea and view night piece of whole tianwan,interesting!!! I will check the name of this mountain from book off work and advise you soon.

Participant

I could put you in touch with the fixie and polo crews there.  Some of the most welcoming and wonderful folks I’ve met.  Funny too!  Even if you’re not keen on doing anything cycling related they could show you some cool shit to do.  For instance I think their fond of a toilet-themed hot pot restaurant…

Participant

Soojin says that the hot springs are amazing.

Unfortunately it’s been a long time since she visited so you have to find them by yourself 🙂

Daniel

Keymaster

The Elephant Mountain hiking trails aren’t bad (though I wouldn’t call them a hike rather a short climb). If the weather is clear then there are nice views from the top; if interested you can find many trails nearby the Taipei 101 building. Do visit the 101; the observation deck is cool (been in my share of tall buildings and these elevators are sick) and I thought that giant ball (stabilizing building) was cool – overall, they give a lot of info about the architecture/construction, etc. which I liked.

I just got back from here, truly a remarkable view. From that height Taiwan reminds me of Hong Kong with its urban mountain landscape. Beautiful. I saw that gigantic ball also and my friend who lives here explained to me how it works with the hydraulic arms in the case of earthquakes – really cool.

The Palace Museum could work if you have an interest in Chinese antiquities with two caveats: there could be massive queues here (mainland tour groups) so be mentally prepared for that (though I am told that you could visit late afternoon or evening when less people are around); and definitely hook up a guide so that you can understand the significance and meaning of this stuff. cheers.

Is this different from the Gugong? I will check that out tomorrow, hopefully there won’t be too many people since it’ll be a weekday. Thanks for the tips!

I could put you in touch with the fixie and polo crews there. Some of the most welcoming and wonderful folks I’ve met. Funny too! Even if you’re not keen on doing anything cycling related they could show you some cool shit to do. For instance I think their fond of a toilet-themed hot pot restaurant…

Get me in touch! I would love to cycle around here. I had hotpot last night, it was completely different from Sichuan hotpot. Good thing I went with a friend, I had no idea what I was doing (the sauces, etc).

Soojin says that the hot springs are amazing. Unfortunately it’s been a long time since she visited so you have to find them by yourself :) Daniel

I will Google those and should have time to visit this weekend, thanks Daniel! Hope to catch up with you soon at Kafe Stugan.

Participant

Yes, the Palace museum in Taipei is very different from the Forbidden City in Beijing. When 蒋介石 retreated from the mainland, he took the very best things of the imperial treasures.

Participant

Tai bei Maokong locates in wenshan district,you can take metro get off at zoo stage,then walk to catch cable car.

Participant

Charlie,

The Maokong tea fields are magical!  Taiwanese oolong is my favorite…especially the teas with a slight sweet aftertaste.  You can take a cable car all the way to the top.  Just sit, take in the views and have tea served to you by locals that live up there.  The locals speak perfect Mandarin and love to teach foreigners about the tea culture.  I am sure you know all about the tea culture, but the surroundings are unreal.   Have a cup for me!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.