Transferring large files between China & the world

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTransferring large files between China & the world

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I have an IT dilemna. Been trying to send/receive large files (50M to 3G) between Chengdu and the US. Sending/receiving files in China on QQ has been relatively quick (for a 340M file, approximately 1 hr to upload, and half hour to download), but sending/receiving overseas has been a different story.

I’ve used dropbox and cyberduck services, but the same 340M file, it will take 8-20 hrs to upload, with very non-stable upload rates. QQ does have an international version (english support included, but it’s not 100% english – also QQ international version doesn’t have the option of sending >50M files…

Wondering if anyone has encountered a similar experience and what they use to address this issue…

Participant

You upload to your network drive, other guy downloads it from network drive, that will be faster.

You can use QQ.

Like this: QQ Mail

Or upload it to something like this.

Participant

Torrents, mediafile, rapidshare, megaupload, you name it and you can do it!

There are plenty of file sharing websites that will allow you to do this with ease. Some hosts have been blocking Chinese IP’s, but I’ve gotten around this easily with use of a solid VPN.

Participant

I have found that even over our corporate/S2S direct transfers between Chengdu & San Fran are much slower than transferring via AWS. AWS has an enormous latency and bandwidth advantage, but it costs money.

If you’re looking for a free option, while I’ve not tried it, I know gmail seems fast for me and has massive e-mail storage (well, for the file size you’re talking about, anyways :D) but there are often timeout/instability issues with any sort of web upload/download for large files, still may be worth giving it a shot. Any small-time or unpaid service will always be slow, just how it is with bandwidth allocation and efficiency in routing.

Keymaster

There are tons of options, but what I would do is use a webhost. Upload the file via FTP and then send a (optionally password protected) link to someone to grab the file, or have them just use FTP.

The downside of this is that it won’t be free and will require a few minutes to set up.

The upside is that it won’t require a VPN, you can transfer and store huge files, and you can get the cost down to around $1-2 a month (using something like HostGator).

Most other options will require either a VPN (Gmail, Dropbox) or will be ad-ridden and annoying (Rapidshare etc).

If you need help setting this up or have questions, feel free to ask. You could even purchase a small PHP file sharing script on Code Canyon for a few bucks that would make it really slick and easy to use (and eliminate the need to use FTP).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.