Travel Warnings for US Citizens in China

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTravel Warnings for US Citizens in China

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there, I have been reading the forum for a while… I was born in China and currently live in US (with an American passport). My husband (an Caucasian American) and I are thinking about traveling to Chengdu in April. But I got little concerned when I saw this travel warning from US Embassy, especially for people like me. Since most of you are living in China, what is your experience as an US citizen? Anything unusual? Thank you so much for your help!

https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/

Keymaster

I think this warning is mostly in response to dual (US/China) citizens who have had their US citizenship not recognized by China, which then handles them according to Chinese law. I don’t know much more about the warning than what is written at the link you shared, but if you search on Google for more information on this, I’m sure you’ll be able to find some useful info. In general the atmosphere for Americans in China has gotten more tense in recent years. If you are mindful to adhere to all of the laws of China, I wouldn’t expect to have any problems.

Participant

For myself I had expected things to be more tense but really havent experienced it although PSB does do more verification checks within the past year. In the past I use to be able to ride out from reporting back to the nearest police & updating the residence form. Just two days ago PSB showed up to verify  my place of residence & employment status, no issue since I have all documents on hand. Like Charlie depicted, adhere to the rules and should be no issues. I travel at least monthly and have been re-entering with no issues.

Participant

Thank you so much to you, Charlie and profot! We will visit less than 3 weeks so I think we’d see less noticeable changes. I will book my fights now 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.