Traveling with Open-Minded but Sorta Old People

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTraveling with Open-Minded but Sorta Old People

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

so my parents are coming to visit me in the fall in Chengdu and want me to show them around the area as well as explore areas in other parts of China, they are open-minded and dont wanan do typical silly tourist stuff, but are also both in their 60s so cant do really rugged stuff either or sit one series of long buses (ie. explore most of west sichuan). We will obviously spend a few days in Chengdu, and probably go to Jiu Zhai Gou (anyone know good tips about doing this not the chinese tourist gourp way? maybe homestays in the are this type of thing) and also at some point go to Beijing, great wall all that… any other suggestions for cool but accessible places to check out in southwest or any part of China (Dali area, lugu lake, gansu, Yunnan, 3 gorges?) any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

jp

Where you choose to go I think may larged decided by what is your parent’s interest, on wild views, or on ancient buildings or….

My personnel suggestion is Jiu Zhai Gou and Dali, Lugu are all famous visiting site, so if you dont wanan do typical silly tourist stuff, unless you make a very good explore and choose a way to avoid the flooding people.

But yes, they are famous sites of China, so if it is the first time worth to visit it.

If you go to great wall, my suggestion is not go to 八达岭,so many people, amlost like shoping in supermarket. I went to a wild great wall but not easy for old people to climb. So 慕田峪长城 is a middle choice.

Yunnan province is wonderful.

I am in yunnan province right now. the weather here is wonderful,

i was in dali for a few days, it rains in the day,but won’t bother you, cuz usually it only rains half an hour or so.

the temperature is around 20 degree during the day, 10 degree during the night. You can spend a day or two exploring the old town, which is pretty big. and there are many western couples there, i am sure your parents will meet many people there. and the hostel is quite cheap, for a room with two beds would be 60-150 kuai.

Kunming is a spring city, not too far from dali, 4-5 hours by bus , the temperature doesnt change that much all year around. Now it’s about 20 degree. During the fall, it won’t change too much. There are also many western couples here like your parents’ age.

If need more info about dali or kunming, you can PM me.

Keymaster

Your list looks pretty good already, Jiuzhai Gou is fantastic. Just go there yourself, no need for a tour group or anything.

Temples, parks, and tea houses are great to visit also. Just walk around, get some snacks, drink some tea, and enjoy the outside. The best day to visit parks is on Sundays.

Massages are always great also, either full body or foot massage. Massage places are all over the place in Chengdu, Kunming, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.