Traveling to Hanoi, Vietnam: Suggestions?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTraveling to Hanoi, Vietnam: Suggestions?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey,

Going to Hanoi for a week. Started making research on potential places to visit. Seems like all rural scenes, even being only 50-70 km away requite private guide with transportation. Seems like transportation system isn’t very developed there.

Has anyone been in Hanoi before? What would be the best way for rural tourism?

Regards.

Keymaster

You should have no problem getting to rural tourist destinations from Hanoi, although the tourist destinations will likely not be that rural in a traditional sense. Halong Bay is amazing and the coastal area in that region is worth checking out, although there are a lot of tourists and tourism infrastructure which slightly spoiled it for me. Great place to take photos, though.

One of my favorite places in Vietnam is Sapa, in the far Northwest. If you cross the border from China you will probably pass through this area, but it is far from Hanoi. It’s all picturesque rice fields and mountains at pretty high altitude if I remember correctly. Fantastic place to rent a motorbike and explore (and that is the best way to get around Vietnam in general aside from long trips).

Have fun, Vietnam is beautiful. Look out for people trying to rip you off – they are everywhere.

Participant

It’s really cheap to rent a motorbike in Vietnam, and convenient to travel by motorbike. Around $5 USD a day. No license required.

Participant

Charlie, thank you. Last December I was in Cambodia.. So I’m quite familiar with rippers 🙂

niklas, thank you too. Least likely my phone will be working in Vietnam. Is it easy to travel on your own with just having a map? Road-signs with directions are in English as well?

Are bikes allowed on highways?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.