Tron?!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Where am I likely to find Tron showing in the centre of Chengdu? Is there an IMAX screen in the city? I’m living 5 minutes North of Tinanfu Sq. right on the Wenshu Monastery station site.

I’m wondering how far behind general release Chengdu is too…?

Just checked the Wanda Film website and it looks like it comes on next month on the 11th: http://www.wandafilm.com/filminfo.php?areaid=37&filmid=GYTQBE4i9eY_86

I usually head to the theater at Wanda Square (万达广场) on Er Huan Lu, but I think there is also one at Chunxi Lu. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Participant

chengdu have many IMAX screen, IMAX screen is usually located in the population concentration of the lot. Wenshu Monastery is one of Chengdu’s tourist attractions, the locals do not often come here, especially the major consumer groups rarely come here.

Media development and firms advertising, will choose a greater place have a lot of people,

Such as the Tianfu Square, Chun Xi Road, Salt City port, Digital Square, Wanda, Shuangnan areas.

a lot of places, you will see some IMAX screen, in Chengdu.

Participant

If you want to see movies, go to Chunxi street , the WangFuJing and TaiPingYang cinema , or south of the city have Wanda Cinema, and ShangYing IMAX.

much better than the cinema near the Wenshu Monastery .

Keymaster

Thanks for posting that info, Zach. I was wondering if Tron would see a timely release here. Middle of January actually isn’t bad – sometimes we have to wait for months, if we’re even lucky enough to have big films get a theatrical release (I was crushed when Dark Knight didn’t get a release in China two years ago).

Most people say Wanda Square is the best theater in the city. The one that I usually go to is called SFG at Bailian Tianfu. It’s on the top floor and they have a D-Max screen which completely kicks ass. I saw Inception there twice. It’s like an IMAX screen but… it’s D-Max. I’ve been under the assumption that it’s just a suspiciously named but similarly-gigantic screen. Anyway, good times.

The theater at Zijing (on second ring road, down the street from Carrefour) is a reasonable backup-backup. It’s a little more expensive but is comparable, although without the D-Max.

Not seeing Dark Knight on a big screen = Fail! A great cinema flick.

I’ve been seeing a good deal of vendors selling knock off DVD’s, and even a store on Tongzilin Road selling great looking (cased) DVD’s of very current movies at 17RMB each, and I’m curious to know if any of you are aware of reliable sources of these discs? It’s be great to find good copies that are subtitle (option) free and in English (obviously!). I’m a little bewildered by the high price of Blu Ray here though, China obviously hasn’t been embracing that quite as much. US prices of Blu Ray have been cut hard, along with the price of players, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here at all.

Keymaster

Really? I thought Blu-Ray movies were like 20-25 yuan here. I haven’t bought any though, no Blu-Ray player. If you’re in the market for that too though I’d get a PS3.

For DVD’s, Computer City. The number of shops that sell thousands of DVD’s is huge and they’re almost all clustered in one area (on the fifth floor in back rooms, where there are virtually no other shops).

I’ll have to go back and check Computer City out again. It looked bizarrely half dead in there!

I’d though about the PS3 option, that’s half an idea. As for disc prices, I think the discs I’ve seen so far are legit, which would (almost) explain the high price.

I laughingly bought a complete ‘Seinfeld’ box set today for 280RMB, only to get home and open it to find a good number of episodes just plain missing!! It’ll be interesting to see how the ‘give me back my money’ outing goes! Lesson learned.

Participant

Man, the dvd guy at Yiguan miao, on yihuan lu (you know the trustmart and cinema place just before all the camping stores) has a good selection. he’s in a shop on the second floor, kinda deserted. he’s a cool guy and if you have any hassles he’ll refund with no questions asked… i bought sopranos box set for 60, and it was complete and good quality…

Keymaster

@hzwerks – that area will look deserted because all of the dvd “dens” are hidden behind closed doors pretty much. The guys on the floors below (“DVD! DVD!”) will lead you up there.

@tigerkuma – that place is quality, it’s very similar to Computer City. Any of these places will have a few of these spots with thousands of DVD’s. The price should be 5-8 yuan per disc for DVD!

Participant

ashamed ah, too many places selling pirated CDs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.