Trying to Locate a Specific Disco in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTrying to Locate a Specific Disco in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author

hey there,

I was in chengdu 5 years ago and there was one specific disco I visited a lot, it was close to chunxi road and you had to take an elevator to come into the disco-part.

I’m almost sure it’s a little north of chunxi road, we used to walk from there every day. now I can not find anything on google maps or google.

If this is not enough information, I will post a map picture with the location I think it should be.

thx for your help chengdu boys and girls 🙂

Keymaster

Is it MGM?

mgm-club.jpg

I do know that 5 years ago the most popular club districts were in the south on 2nd ring road (where Babi & Mix Club were) and then Jiuyan Qiao which is still very well trafficked. Now there’s Shaolin Road which for the last year or two has been the most popular club street in the city.

Keymaster

Is it MGM?

mgm-club.jpg

I do know that 5 years ago the most popular club districts were in the south on 2nd ring road (where Babi & Mix Club were) and then Jiuyan Qiao which is still very well trafficked. Now there’s Shaolin Road which for the last year or two has been the most popular club street in the city.

thx for your response,

I dont think it’s MGM, although i’m not completely sure, I cant remember anything of a windmill.

The disco I am looking for was not in a club district at all. It was in a quite neighbourhood somewhere on a corner. still it was a pretty large disco, with 2 stages, one real disco and one lounge part where there they performed acts all the time.

I add a google maps picture of where I think it should be.

nzm3f.jpg

A: the famous Chunxi road

1: From here we always started walking about 15 minutes north.

thx for your response,

I dont think it’s MGM, although i’m not completely sure, I cant remember anything of a windmill.

The disco I am looking for was not in a club district at all. It was in a quite neighbourhood somewhere on a corner. still it was a pretty large disco, with 2 stages, one real disco and one lounge part where there they performed acts all the time.

I add a google maps picture of where I think it should be.

nzm3f.jpg

A: the famous Chunxi road

1: From here we always started walking about 15 minutes north.

Participant

When you mentioned the performance stage it also makes me think of MGM. I saw a pretty wild vegas-style show there years ago. Before Babi and it’s soulless clones took over, MGM was THE place for a crazy night…

Participant

When you mentioned the performance stage it also makes me think of MGM. I saw a pretty wild vegas-style show there years ago. Before Babi and it’s soulless clones took over, MGM was THE place for a crazy night…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    When you mentioned the performance stage it also makes me think of MGM

Me too. The two rooms, one a club and the other a lounge with performances – that sounds like MGM. Honestly I don’t remember the windmill outside of it either.

Quote:
    Before Babi and it’s soulless clones took over, MGM was THE place for a crazy night…

When I first came to Chengdu, Babi was the club that was poppin’ in Chengdu. That was really the beginning of “club culture” in Chengdu where they played house music and hip hop. Before that were discos, which were different. At that point hearing hip hop in a Chinese club was pretty novel.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    When you mentioned the performance stage it also makes me think of MGM

Me too. The two rooms, one a club and the other a lounge with performances – that sounds like MGM. Honestly I don’t remember the windmill outside of it either.

Quote:
    Before Babi and it’s soulless clones took over, MGM was THE place for a crazy night…

When I first came to Chengdu, Babi was the club that was poppin’ in Chengdu. That was really the beginning of “club culture” in Chengdu where they played house music and hip hop. Before that were discos, which were different. At that point hearing hip hop in a Chinese club was pretty novel.

ohh men I’m realy not sure if it was MGM disco, I think it’s not but I’m thinking so hard and i still dont know for sure lol. So long time ago.

I saw a movie about it and from that it looked too big and too blingbling.

The performances on stage were all traditional chinese ” humor” acts and some singing and dancing. Def. not vegas style.

Also the location on the map makes me think it’s not MGM.

Does MGM has an elevator when you enter, taking one floor up, and both the performance room and the disco are on the same floor?

thx for your support guys 🙂

ohh men I’m realy not sure if it was MGM disco, I think it’s not but I’m thinking so hard and i still dont know for sure lol. So long time ago.

I saw a movie about it and from that it looked too big and too blingbling.

The performances on stage were all traditional chinese ” humor” acts and some singing and dancing. Def. not vegas style.

Also the location on the map makes me think it’s not MGM.

Does MGM has an elevator when you enter, taking one floor up, and both the performance room and the disco are on the same floor?

thx for your support guys 🙂

Keymaster
    Quote:

You took an elevator to the third or fourth floor, the performance and lounge area was on the left and the club was on the right. This is how I remember it at least, it’s been 4+ years since I was there.

Keymaster
    Quote:

You took an elevator to the third or fourth floor, the performance and lounge area was on the left and the club was on the right. This is how I remember it at least, it’s been 4+ years since I was there.

Participant

MGM also has “Face Bar” and KTV in the back. The Face Bar is the “higher class” bar right off the elevator – then the first room you pass through on the left is the “performance room” which has some table/chair outside of it by the coat check area, then you go into the club part which is quite big and kinda circular in its design. I’ve also not been in ages but it IS about 10 min walk from ChunXiLu, just not north – it’s southwest.

North of ChunXiLu, well, there could be a few places you mention Joe, one north of CXL that you take an elevator up to and is not in a club district is “re wu”, it’s on the corner of a little road surrounded by small shops and crappy apartments. It’s not directly north though, it’s a little north-west. It’s about 10min walk from CXL.

Participant

MGM also has “Face Bar” and KTV in the back. The Face Bar is the “higher class” bar right off the elevator – then the first room you pass through on the left is the “performance room” which has some table/chair outside of it by the coat check area, then you go into the club part which is quite big and kinda circular in its design. I’ve also not been in ages but it IS about 10 min walk from ChunXiLu, just not north – it’s southwest.

North of ChunXiLu, well, there could be a few places you mention Joe, one north of CXL that you take an elevator up to and is not in a club district is “re wu”, it’s on the corner of a little road surrounded by small shops and crappy apartments. It’s not directly north though, it’s a little north-west. It’s about 10min walk from CXL.

you sir, are my hero of today! 🙂

Re Wu is exactly on the corner where i thought it should be from the walking memories.

the only thing is that there is nothing to see on google maps. if I search for Re Wu Chengdu it gives me this place but there is nothing on the map that points out that this place is there.

Do they have any website or stuff?

realy cool that i finally found it 🙂

you sir, are my hero of today! 🙂

Re Wu is exactly on the corner where i thought it should be from the walking memories.

the only thing is that there is nothing to see on google maps. if I search for Re Wu Chengdu it gives me this place but there is nothing on the map that points out that this place is there.

Do they have any website or stuff?

realy cool that i finally found it 🙂

Participant

Website? Re Wu? Doubt it. It’s pretty “local”ish – altho most of the people who go are from outside edge ish of town – the drinks are super cheap, or were I should say, maybe it has changed…and if you get whiskey/vodka, it’s likely (read: definitely) not authentic.

I have some fond memories of Re Wu, though.

May I ask, why do you want to find info about Re Wu of all places? Nostalgia, or plan on going back?

Participant

Website? Re Wu? Doubt it. It’s pretty “local”ish – altho most of the people who go are from outside edge ish of town – the drinks are super cheap, or were I should say, maybe it has changed…and if you get whiskey/vodka, it’s likely (read: definitely) not authentic.

I have some fond memories of Re Wu, though.

May I ask, why do you want to find info about Re Wu of all places? Nostalgia, or plan on going back?

Well it was the only disco we visited, about 10 nights in a row, and we had such an amzazing time there 🙂

the first night we got those little cards with the name of the disco on it, but offcourse with our drunk heads, lost them 🙁

next day we walked through chengdu for about 3-4 hours and finally found it again, just by Intuition, that feeling was just amazing.

they dont even have an chinese name or something?

I definetely planning on coming back one time 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.