USA Tourist Visa for a Chinese Spouse

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionUSA Tourist Visa for a Chinese Spouse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey all, I’m from the US and my wife (Chinese) got turned down for her tourist visa to the US because they suspect she will stay there. We don’t want to live there right now so we don’t want to get an immigrant visa.

Anybody here have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Participant

I had a similar problem with the UK – she needs to provide evidence that she will return to China. Owning an apartment with here name on the property deeds in China and having children here may well help.

Participant

… with her name …

Keymaster

Having a house, a car, or a registered business is a big deal, as mentioned by Merior. As you said, their major concern is that she won’t come back.

I haven’t gone through the interview process before but my understanding is that the interview process is more difficult in Chengdu than in other cities. I’ve had a handful of Chinese people tell me that it’s better to travel to Guangzhou to interview for this kind of thing than in Chengdu. It might be worth your time to investigate that.

Not trying to plug AmCham, but working for a US company that is also a member of AmCham Southwest, also helps, since they provide an expedited visa service.  I know because I (used to) work there.

Having property here is probably the biggest factor though.

Participant

Property is a big one. Also, her company can write a letter explaining her full time employment and give the official chop.

Anyone know to what extent a rejection works against you when trying for the second time?

Participant

My friend last year was having trouble with getting a visa for his wife. They found out if they applied at the American consulate in Hong Kong, they only had to provide the marriage certificate. Have you looked into this as an option?

Participant

Thanks for all the ideas! Yeah we just bought a house so that may help the next application. Also, haven’t heard of trying a different city like Hong Kong, might do that too.

I think for the second attempt you have to show what has changed from the first attempt to prove that she will come back. So, property, kids, or business might be enough proof.

How did her interview go?  I was at the consulate today getting pages added to my passport and while I was waiting I heard a girl totally flunking her interview – not being able to understand nor clearly answer simple questions like “what school did you go to?”

Her application was rejected, but I’m not sure if it was directly related to her inability to communicate in English.

Participant

The interview was fine. They just asked her a lot of questions about me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.