Video Game Consoles Advice

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVideo Game Consoles Advice

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey! I finally made the switch to PS4 (too many exclusive games I wanna try) but PSN is NOT connecting for me. Are there often connection issues? I can access my PSN account via the web, just not connect to it through the console directly..just times out. On that note, would it be related to my account being “Location: Canada”, or are some of your locations also not China?

Wait…now I get a new message, “can’t use this account with this playstation 4” WTF. Bought it from JD.com just today. That’s some bullshit.

Keymaster

Hey! I finally made the switch to PS4 (too many exclusive games I wanna try) but PSN is NOT connecting for me. Are there often connection issues? I can access my PSN account via the web, just not connect to it through the console directly..just times out. On that note, would it be related to my account being “Location: Canada”, or are some of your locations also not China?

Wait…now I get a new message, “can’t use this account with this playstation 4″ WTF. Bought it from JD.com just today. That’s some bullshit.

Weird, mine connects fine. I have a few friends with PS4’s in Chengdu, theirs works fine with PSN as well. I believe my console is from Hong Kong and I use a US PSN account.

If you can’t get it to work, it might be worth taking it to computer city and have them check it out. They are experts on this type of stuff.

Participant

Yeah, I may just try to flip it back to JD and get one from computer city from Japan or HK or something. The JD version comes with 2 shite worthless games, and creating a new PSN account (which DOES seem to work.) allows only China & Chinese as options…so I’m thinking this console is specifically locked to China somehow. The China PS+ network fee is only 29rmb/mo, tho, cheaper than other places….. still, if I am locked into some sorta “Chinified” PSN, no thanks!

Keymaster

Yeah, I may just try to flip it back to JD and get one from computer city from Japan or HK or something. The JD version comes with 2 shite worthless games, and creating a new PSN account (which DOES seem to work.) allows only China & Chinese as options…so I’m thinking this console is specifically locked to China somehow. The China PS+ network fee is only 29rmb/mo, tho, cheaper than other places….. still, if I am locked into some sorta “Chinified” PSN, no thanks!

Do you have a link to the exact one that you got? I think that China has just recently “allowed” the PS4 to be sold domestically, which has probably created a mainland China PSN service just for users here. That would explain why you are locked out. I’m sure the games are cheaper on the Mainland China PSN and you can probably purchase games on there and switch them to English, but yeah, I think it’s not worth it. I would confirm that the one you got is the Mainland China one and then return it.

edit: if this is the one you got, this is definitely the one for Mainland China that might lock you to Chinese PSN (国行).

Participant

Yep… that’s it. Just submitted my return form. The 2 ‘free vouchers’ it comes with are for 2 horrible games anyways, not 2 games of your choice, and the advert demonstrates the camera etc which it also doesn’t include, so I guess it’s not worth the bother to keep this one locked to a China specific account that forces China/Chinese as the only country/language options (if it allowed China/English, I wouldn’t be afraid of games being locked into Chinese or something, like being censored or having different availability options as we all know how China likes to control what kinda games are available here.) The model is also newer, CUH-1109A, so I guess that’s how it knows to connect to a China-specific PSN.

I’m goin’ to scour TaoBao and find a good package available in Chengdu, just prefer dealing with JD over random TB’rs 😀

Keymaster

I’m goin’ to scour TaoBao and find a good package available in Chengdu, just prefer dealing with JD over random TB’rs

There’s a shop I can recommend at Computer City, it’s called 海豚电玩 (Dolphin). Here’s a link to their Taobao store: link

Participant

@Charlie looks good, thanks! My old shop not on QQ any more, must have closed up. That one looks pretty good, heading there tomorrow!

Participant

That’s really lame. I guess that explains why I’m always getting Japanese servers when I play Battlefield (US PSN account). I’ll check out game prices on that taobao store though, thanks for that!

Keymaster

If you aren’t opposed to digital downloads, I would give that a shot. On PS4 I only have a few physical games and everything else is digital. Buying games through PSN is my preferred method now to getting games on Blu-ray from Taobao or local shops.

Participant

On PS4 I only have a few physical games and everything else is digital.

I think I’ll buy a few specific games I know I’ll play longer-term (I hope) that are expecting lots of DLC/expansions via digital download, but I think the biggest benefit of disc games would be being able to trade them.. so I’ll buy a few disc games too..

Speaking of which if anyone has any games they’d like to unload I’m in the market. 😀

@Woodword are you playing Battlefield Hardline? Or another?

Keymaster

Speaking of which if anyone has any games they’d like to unload I’m in the market.

I have disc copies of GTA V and The Last of Us. Willing to trade/sell.

Participant

RE: GTAV & TLOU

Two awesome games. I have ’em/beat ’em for PS3, not sure if it’s worth re-playing them again on the PS4.. anyone who hasn’t played through these needs to play them though, both so very well done!

Participant

If you aren’t opposed to digital downloads, I would give that a shot. On PS4 I only have a few physical games and everything else is digital. Buying games through PSN is my preferred method now to getting games on Blu-ray from Taobao or local shops.

Yeah, I thought I may be able to snag some used games on the cheap but doesn’t that seem to be the case with Dolphin. The majority of the PS4 games I have now are digital….curious to see what’s free on PS+ this month.

And Rick I’m on BF4, getting my ass handed to me. I heard Hardline was cool but my connection doesn’t fare too well with ping/latency dependent games 😐

Participant

OK. I’m dying here when it comes to the PSN services, here’s where I’m at:

I have originally a Canadian based account, which can’t be changed. The connection to PSN with that account via PS4 is terrible from China, like, when I try to sign up for PS Now it evaluates the connection and basically says “connection is shit, can’t stream, suggest not trying the trial”. I also can’t pay for my Canadian account’s PS+ unless I connect via a Canadian IP if I go that route, *hassle*.

So I created a HK account and planned on buying vouchers or whatever to fill the wallet, maybe the connection would be better. The problem is the connection is fine, I can browse the store, etc…but HK PSN accounts do not have the PS Now streaming service, so I can’t pay the whatever fees per month and play the many PS3/other streaming games offered. I’m a little surprised they offer the PS Now streaming from some places and not others based on region.

Has anyone managed to find a method of getting streaming-speed-quality PS4 accounts functional? Apparently Sony has lots of regional calculations in everything from the systems, to the accounts, to the payment processing, all of which has caused me headaches in finding a simple solution to pay them to access PS Now.

It wasn’t an issue until I had just finished Dragon Age Inquisition after massive over indulgence in the awesome game. 😀 Now, I need more…more!

Keymaster

OK. I’m dying here when it comes to the PSN services, here’s where I’m at: I have originally a Canadian based account, which can’t be changed. The connection to PSN with that account via PS4 is terrible from China, like, when I try to sign up for PS Now it evaluates the connection and basically says “connection is shit, can’t stream, suggest not trying the trial”.

PS Now probably won’t work well in China, no matter what. It also seems expensive and pretty unnecessary to me.

I also can’t pay for my Canadian account’s PS+ unless I connect via a Canadian IP if I go that route, *hassle*.

Don’t pay on the console, pay via the Playstation website. Or you can try to get a subscription card on Taobao (which you will redeem on the PS4 with a code) but I’m not sure if Canadian cards will be available there (American PSN cards definitely are).

So I created a HK account and planned on buying vouchers or whatever to fill the wallet, maybe the connection would be better. The problem is the connection is fine, I can browse the store, etc…but HK PSN accounts do not have the PS Now streaming service, so I can’t pay the whatever fees per month and play the many PS3/other streaming games offered. I’m a little surprised they offer the PS Now streaming from some places and not others based on region. Has anyone managed to find a method of getting streaming-speed-quality PS4 accounts functional? Apparently Sony has lots of regional calculations in everything from the systems, to the accounts, to the payment processing, all of which has caused me headaches in finding a simple solution to pay them to access PS Now. It wasn’t an issue until I had just finished Dragon Age Inquisition after massive over indulgence in the awesome game. :D Now, I need more…more!

I would just mess with the Canadian account if I were you. That will mean not using PS Now but I think you won’t be using Now anyway. I might be wrong, but I tried the Now demo and it didn’t work for me in China.

Participant

That will mean not using PS Now

Thanks for the info – I suppose if there’s no way to get Now working, then I will do just that and stick with the Canadian account…even tho the connection quality seems poor for me unfortunately. The game offerings on + are the same in all regions anyways. This is one reason I’ll be buying disc games almost exclusively now though – if I need to swap regions later at least I can put the game on different region and get + on that account for online features.

Keymaster

The game offerings on + are the same in all regions anyways. This is one reason I’ll be buying disc games almost exclusively now though – if I need to swap regions later at least I can put the game on different region and get + on that account for online features.

I think they sell the same games in different regions, but the free games each month for PS+ subscribers do vary by region. I think that countries are bundled up by region, so: North America, Japan, and Europe.

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.