Visa Extension Question

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVisa Extension Question

• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoAKK.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone, especially Americans, have experience extending a 90 day, multiple entry, L visa? I’ve never applied for an extension and not sure if it’s available for my particular visa.

My current set of 90 days are up in mid June, and I’d like to avoid a trip to the border because I know I’ll be traveling in early July.

I think it may differ from city to city, but in Shanghai you can extend L visas twice, at 30 days each time (I’m an American and I did this twice last year).

Technically it’s not an extension – they will cancel your original 90 day L visa and issue a new 30 day L visa, which you can then do one more time. After the following 60 day period, you will have to go to HK (or wherever) to get a new visa. This may put a snag in your plans if your current visa is still good for awhile and you don’t want to have to get a new one. As far as I know, there is no way to extend an L visa without cancelling the current one.

Participant

“extending” a visa is indeed cancelling the old one and start again with a new one (30 days). So you might want to do this as late as possible (without overstaying it). Though once you’ve handed it in, you are save.

Participant

Thanks for the info y’all. Will wait a few weeks and then go this route.

Participant

Hi guys,

Like to seek advice on the extension of VISA. In event that you are only here for visiting as tourist, would it be possible to extend the visa?

Participant

BTW: PSB visa extension office has moved, apparently now behind (next to?) the main man Mao’s statue. Wasted an afternoon last week going to the old place…

Participant

Thanks for the info Ray.So now it is not in Shuncheng Lu anymore? Did you manage to find an address for the new PSB office?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hi guys,

Like to seek advice on the extension of VISA. In event that you are only here for visiting as tourist, would it be possible to extend the visa?

For years you could extend a tourist visa twice, each for one additional month. As far as I know, this is still the way it works. Depending on your nationality, it might not be cheap though, up to 500 yuan or so if you’re American from what I’ve heard.

It was RMB 900 for Americans in Shanghai last spring (April 2011) when I did it.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    It was RMB 900 for Americans in Shanghai last spring (April 2011) when I did it.

Damn, that has gone up considerably. Thanks for the info James.

Participant

@Gavvie: the office is to the left of the museum, a big modern glass building. Foreigners go straight to the 3rd floor (thank God. The ground floor is pandemonium). I’m hoping to extend a working visa for two or three months. Anyone done this recently?

BTW: a friend with alot of visa experience reckons the main crackdown is on the business visa. She’s having alot of trouble, and is being asked to provide genuine proof of business activity. Apparently she’s never had to provide this in the past 7 years….

As always with Chinese visas, the main headache is the lack of clear, verifiable info…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    BTW: a friend with alot of visa experience reckons the main crackdown is on the business visa. She’s having alot of trouble, and is being asked to provide genuine proof of business activity. Apparently she’s never had to provide this in the past 7 years….

As always with Chinese visas, the main headache is the lack of clear, verifiable info…

This makes a lot of sense. I’ve had to interview with the PSB twice when renewing an F visa within the last year. Both interviews were about 10-15 minutes of one person asking me questions about what I’m doing in Chengdu and a second person writing everything down.

Participant

@Charlie: damn, that sounds kinda scarey. All i got asked last time for my working visa was “what awards did you recieve as a model worker back home?” WTF!? I put something stupid like:” No7 radio transistor company most outstanding young employee of the month in the field of all- round excellence”…seriously…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    damn, that sounds kinda scarey.

It’s not as bad as it sounds, I guess. The interviewer was young (30’s) and friendly and kind of apologized for the entire thing. “Sorry, you know, we have to do this”

Participant

@ Ray. Thank you so much. Will save me and many more a lot of running around.

Participant

@Ray. I just went through the business renewal process on Monday at the new building. Was told there would be a lot of questions to answer because of the Visa crack-down so I was prepared for it. I was at the Visa office for about 15min total & no questions asked? Didn’t seem to be any different.

That being said, Im still waiting for my passport & new F-Visa to return from Beijing.

Participant

“It was RMB 900 for Americans in Shanghai last spring (April 2011) when I did it.

Damn, that has gone up considerably. Thanks for the info James. “

I guess this is still cheaper than having to pay airfare in/out of China…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.