Volunteering Opportunities in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVolunteering Opportunities in Chengdu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone have any connections to volunteering possibilities in Chengdu for a native English/non-Chinese speaking person? I was thinking of advertising for an English-speaking practice group, as in organizing one. I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who’s had experience volunteering in Chengdu.

Participant

I can volunteer. Need to practice my English speaking/hearing/reading(sound) and writing lol.

Participant

I had experience translating papers and documents. Is that ok? I can organ a party or discussings meetings. PM me.

Try looking up English Corner at Sichuan University. I believe they usually have it on Friday nights.

Also Mandarin Corner at Creative Spaces at 35 Hong Xing Lu sometimes will have language exchange as well as free Chinese classes.

Participant

Sadly, volunteering isn’t a very “Chinese” thing. I used to be a very active Rotary Club member, but felt a little culture-shock that there is no volunteering here. Here are some of the activities you can join if you are interested still.

1) Satellite Rotary Club for Beijing (Please PM)

2) Toastmasters (If you look on the Toastmasters, site you will see there are several clubs here, however quite a number of them are company-exclusive)

3) Church: I know there are several church in Chengdu. There is Christian service near Tongzilin every Sunday. There are also Morman services here. (Please PM)

4) As Chris mentioned, there are also a number of English Corners. There’s a group that meets on Friday, and another Sat/Sun (I forget), but I’ve never been to them.

5) Couchsurfing

Participant

Thanks for the replies! I’ll definitely check out the English corners and also the Chinese classes at Creative Spaces.

link

i singed up some days ago. It will be my first experience with this organization, but i hope it goes well.

My chinese is also limited. Have a look 🙂

Participant

Hands on Chengdu looks like a very cool program. Thanks! I’ll check that out, too.

Participant

Do you know ” Global Fortune Forum” which will be heild in CD this June

Why dunt u find the website and have a try?

Participant

Sadly, volunteering isn’t a very “Chinese” thing. I used to be a very active Rotary Club member, but felt a little culture-shock that there is no volunteering here.

I am Chinese and I disagree that.

I often be the volunteer in when I was in Sichuan Unv

Maybe you find the wrong time and project

handsonchengdu is pretty good!

i’ve participated its project for several times

i will go to join one on 23rd of Feb.

check its website:

http://www.handsonchengdu.org/

good luck!

Participant

Thanks, again for the replies. I’ll definitely check out Handson Chengdu.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.