Bike Lock Suggestions?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBike Lock Suggestions?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the best type of lock to buy in chengdu/china?

I’m pretty sure every lock here would not be totally thief proof, but maybe some have better track records than others. Another option would be to import one, but then again I’m not sure if that would be any more safe.

Cheers

Keymaster

I have an Abus lock and like it. It was not cheap but it is extremely solid. What I would suggest is checking out the Natooke bike shop since they not only have locks in stock there, but can explain the differences and show you the products in person.

Participant

ok, thanks charlie

Participant

I can recommend you the titanium TiGr lock. I got the mini one in the US, don’t know if you can get it here in China though. Be aware that it’s not cheap.
    https://tigrlock.com/

Or you can add at what you find here a cheap GPS tracker 😉

Keymaster

I can recommend you the titanium TiGr lock. I got the mini one in the US, don’t know if you can get it here in China though. Be aware that it’s not cheap. https://tigrlock.com/ Or you can add at what you find here a cheap GPS tracker 😉

Damn, I didn’t know that lock existed until earlier this week when I bought a used bike here that came with that lock… only to find out after getting the bike that the lock actually wasn’t available 🙁 Looks like an amazing lock, though.

Participant

Did you check if amazon ships it to China? Or maybe some US expat friend can get it on his next trip home. Just a thought.

The lock only matters to a certain degree as it is only a deterrent. In China, any U-Lock that can withstand large bolt cutters or a hammer is good enough. Cables and weak chains can be broken in seconds.

More importantly it’s how you lock your bike. Ie. frame locked to something sturdy and immovable. In other cities, thieves will go after just wheels or saddles, so those would have to be locked down too, but in China, it’s less likely, though not unheard of.

I’ve made mistakes which have resulted in getting 2 bikes stolen in the last 4 years. Once, locking my bike to a pipe, but with a shitty lock that was easily broken. The other time, it was with a decent lock, but I only locked the wheel and frame – not to anything else, so it was just picked up and taken away.

As long as you follow these rules, you’ll be ok.
    1. Use a strong U-lock (Thick shackle – which usually means heavy) or chain with reinforced steel
    2. Lock the frame to something immovable
    3. Bring the whole bike inside
    4. Never leave it unattended outside at night
    5. Pay for bike parking when possible

Abus locks are among the strongest. I have a Kryptonite Series 4 which I brought from the US, which is almost as good.

Participant

Use 2 locks.  I’ve been here for almost 7 years and I have never had a bike stolen.  Make it a hassle to steal your bike and the thief will most likely go after an easier target.  I agree with Chris’s advice above as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.