What's in your beef burger?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhat's in your beef burger?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just read an interesting article at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21059425 – titled “What is actually in a value burger?”. I’d be curious of any sort of information on how ground beef (or other meat) is produced in China..we all know the “pink sludge” shit in US ‘meat’ products, and I do buy ground beef rather than grind my own..and I’m sure I’m not alone here 😀

Participant

Very dodgy, I would imagine. My mum was just telling me that lots of yangyouchuan and stuff is fake and made from unidentified meat sources including cat and dog, to which they add lamb flavouring/aromas. If I find out more I’ll report back.

Participant

Cat/dog? I’d be *shocked* if that were true, just because economically I’d imagine both cat/dog would be more expensive per lb than lamb… plus lots of yangrouchuan has those little nobbles of fat, and cat/dog is very lean 😀 (I’ve not eaten cat, but dog..definitely, lean). One post in another thread asked why the meat at bbq stands was so soft, so I’d also be shocked if there *wasn’t* something shady going on with those slimy looking meat sticks 😀

Participant

Umm… McDonald’s admitted to using “mealworm” their burgers in emerging markets years (decades?) ago. I doubt they’ve stopped.

Participant

Brian: I hope you’re joking… That’s absolutely a myth 😀 1.27 minutes of investigation required.

Participant

That’s what I get for trying to remember things that happened before the internet.

Participant

I think the cat meat would be mixed in occasionally with the lamb so as to reduce the amount of lamb in the skewers. On a small scale, it probably makes economic sense for individual stall holders. But yeah, you’re right about the texture and stuff. Hopefully it’s just another vicious rumour!

As for McDonalds, a meat processor in a dog food factory informed me that a meat supplier used to supply the same bits of beef (lowest grade of meat fit for human consumption) to McDonalds also. The dog food manufacturer stopped using that quality of beef for their dog food *9 years* before McDonalds stopped doing the same for their consumers. This was a source in the UK, so I’d guess it holds true at least for the UK.

Keymaster

Rick, you are very brave for wanting to investigate this in China. Maybe you could ask vendors at Qingshi Qiao what the source of the beef is. I’ve chatted with them a few times about different cuts of steak.

Participant

I’m not so concerned with Qing Shi Qiao steaks or cuts – when you can see the whole leg and chop off a steak, that’s a whole different story.. I’m more so talking about processed meats or especially already-ground meats, I literally was eating 2 pork burritos I made with pre-ground pork meat when I came across this UK horsemeat story, and it made me think: do they use pink sludge shit made of various organs and other throwaway bits processed through ammonia or other chemicals or is it just chunks of pork ground up like I *presumed*, likely very naive and ignorantly 😀

Does anyone here grind their own meat? I think I’m going to taobao myself my own meat grinder right now actually.

EDIT:

Quote:
    I’m going to taobao myself my own meat grinder

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.65.z0Fyts&id=7072895149k

Wow, 58rmb. But the wow isn’t for 58 rmb, it’s for the image 1/2 way down…which to me looks like he’s not grinding out a sausage, but about to whip out his own sausage as the input….that’s a f’d up advertising image.

jeans.jpg

Are those tie-dyed jeans?

Participant

You can do like the locals and get it hand chopped to order at your local market. Make the vendor use the double cleaver method not the machine, add as much fat and as you want and get it chopped coarse or fine. The only hassle is getting up early enough. The guy I like to buy beef from, if I go at nine I am lucky if he has anything besides soup bones left.

Participant

I suppose a person needs a meat grinder to feed a big family,otherwise just use a meat cleaver to chop the beef (or chicen)into fine chunks. Pre-fry some onions.

Mix with some oats,egg,chopped sweet pepper and spices.Fry in pan. Now you should have enough hamburger patties for a few servings. Now on the buttered bread with tomato and lettuce and put in sandwich press. Now I KNOW what is in my beef burger!

No way in hell I’m ever buying burger meat from any vendor or supermarket here, it’s bad enough in the U.K. and U.S. etc. Fast food chains have been revealed on numerous occasions over the years to be using ‘pet food’ grade (or lower) meats that have essentially expired and been ammonia treated (or worse) to remove blemishes and odour before processing. This has also been common practice amongst chicken producers and distributors looking to improve the appearance of ‘fresh’ chicken breast sold in supermarkets.

As SS mentions, most of the small food markets that sell meat will chop up exactly what you want, either in a grinder or by hand. I would personally have it done by hand just because the grinder always has previously ground meat in it, and there’s no identifying how long it’s been there, or how well kept the machine is.

If I’ve made burgers in the past I’ve used decent cuts of beef, mixed up in much the same way as GAVVIE describes. I take the chopped beef and mix it in a bowl with some ‘fast’ oats (or lightly pre-soaked steel cut, etc.), an egg or two, some crushed garlic, a few choice spices, then flash the patties in some oil and a little salt before dropping them in the oven at 220C for 8 minutes +/-. Yummers.

Quote:
    Are those tie-dyed jeans?

LOL! I had the exact same thought, followed by ‘WTF!!’

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.