What's New in Chengdu, March 2015

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhat's New in Chengdu, March 2015

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We just published a new episode of the podcast, discussing new issues relevant to Chengdu. Topics discussed in this episode:

• Under the Dome pollution documentary
    • Under the Dome discussed on the Sinica Podcast
    • Xi Jinping’s Push to Popularize and Improve Soccer in China
    • Government seizure of golf courses
    • Playing soccer in Chengdu and the Chengdu International Football League
    • Chinese-Hollywood co-productions
    • The Confucius Institute and the pitfalls of Chinese soft power initiatives
    • Johnny 5’s Ask Me Anything
    • Free For One Year Contest
    • The Bookworm Literary Festival

Download or stream the podcast here: What’s New in Chengdu, March 2015

If you have any comments or feedback on this podcast or on topics you’d like us to discuss in the future, leave a comment on the post page. If you enjoy the podcast, please share it! We look forward to recording more of these and continuing to chronicle and share the story of life in Chengdu.

Participant

Interesting the part about The Confucius Institute.  I usually have students each semester who get shipped out to teach English.  Last year was the first year were none of them went to Europe and the US.  They all got sent to Africa and Pakistan.

Keymaster

Interesting the part about The Confucius Institute. I usually have students each semester who get shipped out to teach English. Last year was the first year were none of them went to Europe and the US. They all got sent to Africa and Pakistan.

You mean teach Chinese, right? A few years ago everyone was all about the Confucius Institute because, hey, free Chinese lessons through scholarships which are easy to get. Now it’s becoming increasingly obvious that the deal isn’t as sweet as it seems, though. Whenever China promotes its culture overseas it results in a mishap at best and a catastrophe at worst.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.