Where to find good 11/11 TV deals?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhere to find good 11/11 TV deals?

• This topic has 17 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoBen.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking for something in the 40-inch range that does 1080P and HDMI. Primary use would be movies and maybe some gaming if I ever get around to buying a console. Can be online or in-store, but I imagine the 11/11 crowds are similar to the Black Friday madness in the US. Any suggestions for sites/places with good deals?

Keymaster

Taobao! I wouldn’t even bother going to a store for something like a TV, it will be much cheaper online. I assume that finding TVs on sale on 11/11 on Taobao will be a cinch.

Participant

I prefer jd.com over Taobao most of the time. I’ve always got great deals, get stuff delivered next day, cash on delivery – only going to taobao when what I want can’t be found on jd.com and need to get from a 3rd party somewhere.

Either way, yeah, do it online, the whole concept of 11.11 came from online (Alibaba) and I’m sure that it is far more embraced online and brick’n’mortor just kinda try to ride some of the heat.

Participant

Thanks. I figured online was the way to go, just wondered if there was anything better outside JD/Taobao a la Walmart, Best Buy, etc. Here’s what I managed to narrow down on JD, the specs are fairly limited (can’t find contrast ratios, panel types, etc.) but I’m guessing there isn’t much of a difference at this price range. Any preferred brands or ones to avoid?

http://search.jd.com/search?keyword=%E5%B9%B3%E6%9D%BF%E7%94%B5%E8%A7%86&enc=utf-8&qr=&qrst=UNEXPAND&qk=title_key%2C%2C%E5%B9%B3%E6%9D%BF%E7%94%B5%E8%A7%86&rt=1&stop=1&bs=no&icon=122&cid2=794&ev=413_3228%40exprice_0-1999%40834_3785%40#filter

Keymaster

I cannot believe how cheap those TV’s are, even before the sale has started. 42″ LED TVs starting at 1,800 rmb.

Participant

@Wood

I’d go with the Changhong at the bottom. Changhong manufactures many of the TVs that are branded otherwise by foreign companies, anyways, so often you buy a western brand TV – but inside it’s a Changhong. At one point recently almost all of the TVs China had exported to the US were Changhong, not sure what the ratios are like now.

A majority of TV brands don’t actually manufacture tubes (or in this case panels) themselves, and just strap their name on..at least when you get a Changhong, you know what you’re getting, and I’ve seen good crisp pictures and good colour depth on Changhongs like anything else.

Participant

Thanks Rick. And yeah Charlie, hard to resist an upgrade for those prices.

Participant

You always need to exercise some degree of caution when buying electrical on taobao, but especially on 11/11. Sellers on this website already have negligible profit margins, and they face tremendous pressure to participate in this promotion (despite what you may hear, many of them regard 11/11 as a curse, not a blessing). Some unscrupulous practices (misleading spec info/re-labeled older models) take place, especially on 11/11. Personally, if you can find a good deal on JD I’d go with them (and to a lesser extent Tmall)….

Participant

@Ray

I agree fully. However, regarding JD – you have to be aware that JD has two methods of sales, one is direct from them and one is through 3rd parties, I’m sure the 3rd parties are identified somewhere in the Chinese but I typically identify it by the fact it wont deliver the next day COD – JD stuff seems to always be next day COD available..

Keymaster

Sellers on this website already have negligible profit margins, and they face tremendous pressure to participate in this promotion (despite what you may hear, many of them regard 11/11 as a curse, not a blessing).

This wouldn’t surprise me at all. I heard that employees of Alibaba (which owns and manages Taobao) forces employees to work for 14 hours today, which is the busiest day of the year for them. Alibaba actually sets up employees in hotels near their office, so they can rapidly get to the office. Sounds like a curse.

Participant

I’m laughing over here.

11.11 is a fuckin’ scaaaaam for the most part. I just checked out some of my old cart items to compare to see how big deals were on ‘real stuff’ that I normally buy, not just promotional stuff or expiring/old product they want to fire sale to dump inventory, and here is what I found:

* Not a single item, except for motoroil, was any cheaper than when I had bought it over the course of the last whole year.
    * One item is actually 70 rmb MORE EXPENSIVE! – a 2TB HDD which I bought for 519, and today, “11.11” is 589. What a deal!
    * Some of the stuff that appears cheaper is not. For example: the “Merries” diapers I usually buy, which I need today, were sold out (the specific box I prefer) – so I looked up and, oh, good, there’s a special 11.11 sale on some various other quantities of the exact same imported product. Almost all of the bags of L size which I need were all sold out. There was 1 type left: so I carted up, 4 bags. (also some milk powder which is exactly the same price as usual, it’s not a big deal, I need it, not looking for a deal). Upon check out I notice something weird: Delivery cost: 40rmb — WTF, so they sell these bags 8rmb cheaper per bag, but charge 10rmb or whatever per bag shipping, when shipping is usually free? So I went back to a previous type I bought, lesser quantity than preferred, and the price is exactly the same as always, bought 2 bags – no shipping, wtf. Same product, merries diapers, from JD, one on sale, one not: the one on sale is actually more expensive in the end because there is a shipping fee, and almost every quantity is already sold out!

What this tells me: 11.11 is mostly bullshit, lots of people get drained buying shit they don’t normally buy, people who buy shit they normally buy don’t get discounts but have problems buying things they may regularly need because others buy it out thinking it’s some awesome deal when it’s not, and companies like JD actually jack prices and cheat on shipping to end up turning it into an even more disgusting money grab from the turned on raging consumer crowd.

I just got a 500RMB discount on a speaker from jd.com for 11.11. It was originally over priced , but I still got it for a couple of hundred less than I could on taobao.

Look for the line which says, 服务:由 京东….  located under the delivery district / stock level for items sold directly by JD. You can also use the 京东配送 tick box when searching.

Items bought directly from JD are usually delivered in the afternoon if purchased before 11am, and in the evening if purchased before 3pm. I specified evening delivery to home. I’m not holding my breath though given how busy they will be.

Participant

Seems my posts are disappearing. FOUR times.. maybe because of links? Or something?

I’ll write this up one last time:

http://www.xitie.com – you can check history of pricing for various items on various online shops in China. My HDD price history for example: http://www.xitie.com/360buy.php?no=1040024

I’d be curious to see what the pricing history for things other people purchased are..

Keymaster

Seems my posts are disappearing. FOUR times.. maybe because of links? Or something? I’ll write this up one last time: http://www.xitie.com – you can check history of pricing for various items on various online shops in China. My HDD price history for example: http://www.xitie.com/360buy.php?no=1040024 I’d be curious to see what the pricing history for things other people purchased are..

Caught in spam filter, cleared now. I think it’s because of links to Chinese products. Anywhere but inside China these would probably be considered spam.

Keymaster

Oh, regarding the 11/11 deals, I heard the same thing as you from some other people, Rick. About prices actually going up on 11/11 but still saying “discounted” on the actual item. I heard that 9.6 billion rmb of items were sold on 11/11, up from 5.4 billion last year.

Participant

Yeah my post with that link didn’t show up…looks like I got a decent deal on my TV, paid just under 2k and it had been going for 2500.

Participant

“paid just under 2k and it had been going for 2500”

Good deal then. I’ll be making sure to use this site every time I buy some stuff, make sure it’s not on one of their seemingly-weekly peak jumps. Crazy how they rattle prices so frequently..

It took 2 days for my speaker to be delivered! Got it set up last night and now finally have tunes in my bedroom. I paid 3.5k and now it is back up to 4k, so I’m happy. Not many data points on xietie.com for it though, http://tinyurl.com/m9m2lvf

EDIT: used tinyurl to bypass spam filters

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.