Advice Needed on Aquarium

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAdvice Needed on Aquarium

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What are you talking about Ray? One of the reasons I’ve always kind of wanted a snake is exactly to see them eat live mice.

UNLEASH THE FURY!!

Participant

What are you talking about Ray? One of the reasons I’ve always kind of wanted a snake is exactly to see them eat live mice.

UNLEASH THE FURY!!

Participant
    Quote:
    UNLEASH THE FURY!!

[MITCH!]

Participant
    Quote:
    UNLEASH THE FURY!!

[MITCH!]

Participant

@Lino: I know there’s gonna be a big pet expo in Chengdu during the Qingming holiday. Could be worth a look. Im gonna check it out. I’m hoping they’ll have some cool Japanese cat food for my tiger…..

Participant

@Lino: I know there’s gonna be a big pet expo in Chengdu during the Qingming holiday. Could be worth a look. Im gonna check it out. I’m hoping they’ll have some cool Japanese cat food for my tiger…..

Participant

When/where is this pet expo? I want to check it out!

Participant

When/where is this pet expo? I want to check it out!

Participant

Century City International Exhibition Centre, April 4-7, 8AM-6PM.

Is that the one in the south, near Hi-tech zone?

Link

Participant

Century City International Exhibition Centre, April 4-7, 8AM-6PM.

Is that the one in the south, near Hi-tech zone?

Link

Participant

Keeping an aquarium is a little more complicated than many people anticipate at first. When you start out, you’re going to need to cycle your tank water with no fish in it. It could take a while; see if you can get a gravel sample and a water sample to jump start your beneficial bacteria, etc. Buy a PH testing kit, and when you get your water right, you can start adding fish. Although the more exotic fish can be more appealing, starting with some more basic ‘tropical community’ fish that will get along together. Make sure that you get ALL the same community of fish; don’t mix semiagressive with community or they will eat each other. The internet has a lot of great resources for aquarium hobby that can help you out as well.

Although, I will say, if you’re not interested in investing the time and energy into maintaining your tank, it might be best to use it as a terrarium or art installation instead. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

Participant

Keeping an aquarium is a little more complicated than many people anticipate at first. When you start out, you’re going to need to cycle your tank water with no fish in it. It could take a while; see if you can get a gravel sample and a water sample to jump start your beneficial bacteria, etc. Buy a PH testing kit, and when you get your water right, you can start adding fish. Although the more exotic fish can be more appealing, starting with some more basic ‘tropical community’ fish that will get along together. Make sure that you get ALL the same community of fish; don’t mix semiagressive with community or they will eat each other. The internet has a lot of great resources for aquarium hobby that can help you out as well.

Although, I will say, if you’re not interested in investing the time and energy into maintaining your tank, it might be best to use it as a terrarium or art installation instead. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

Participant

Another note; aquatic plants further complicate keeping a healthy tank; I’d reccommend getting your water and fish well established and some experience under your belt before you attempt this.

Participant

Another note; aquatic plants further complicate keeping a healthy tank; I’d reccommend getting your water and fish well established and some experience under your belt before you attempt this.

Participant

Nice fish suck Jessica.. my bro had a silver Arowana that lasted for I forget exactly, a couple years, and grew huge in a big tank of his – it played nice with some things, but that was boring..the best time was feeding time. It snatched up little feeder fish so quickly it was great to watch.

A very beautiful fish by itself, and watching it stalk the tank back and forth, back and forth, back and forth….. was awesome.

So, should you decide to go with fish, keep in mind you can go for a hunter rather than prey if you want 😉

Participant

Nice fish suck Jessica.. my bro had a silver Arowana that lasted for I forget exactly, a couple years, and grew huge in a big tank of his – it played nice with some things, but that was boring..the best time was feeding time. It snatched up little feeder fish so quickly it was great to watch.

A very beautiful fish by itself, and watching it stalk the tank back and forth, back and forth, back and forth….. was awesome.

So, should you decide to go with fish, keep in mind you can go for a hunter rather than prey if you want 😉

Participant

Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately the only reptiles I love are ninja turtles so unless someone can tell me where to buy one of those I’m not going to get a reptile 🙂

I might go to the pet expo and see if it can change my mind, thanks for the advice Ray.

Otherwise I will do some research on aquaria and start with a beginners set up.

Participant

Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately the only reptiles I love are ninja turtles so unless someone can tell me where to buy one of those I’m not going to get a reptile 🙂

I might go to the pet expo and see if it can change my mind, thanks for the advice Ray.

Otherwise I will do some research on aquaria and start with a beginners set up.

Participant

Ray: Yes, Century City is due south, a short way outside the number 3 Ring Road. You can get there on the Metro heading due south from Tianfu Sq. Buses heading there can be like sardine tins when there is a popular exhibition. Buses may also get diverted leaving you with a 400 meter or so walk – follow the crowds. Car access is getting progressively worse as they building on the wasteland that was previously used for parking.

Participant

Ray: Yes, Century City is due south, a short way outside the number 3 Ring Road. You can get there on the Metro heading due south from Tianfu Sq. Buses heading there can be like sardine tins when there is a popular exhibition. Buses may also get diverted leaving you with a 400 meter or so walk – follow the crowds. Car access is getting progressively worse as they building on the wasteland that was previously used for parking.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.