Board Gamers?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBoard Gamers?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Probably a long shot, but does anyone here play Euro-style board games? Settlers of Cataan being the prototypical example. I’d like to find a group, or start one if one doesn’t exist. I have some Chinese friends at work that I’m getting interested in it, but it’s not quite the same as playing with a western group.

Participant

I’m here! Axis & Allies? Settlers of Catan? Monopoly?

I need some different night!

Board Game Bars

Byez

Keymaster

This sounds like fun, but I only know how to play Settlers of Cataan.

A few years ago there was a really cool board game bar in Chengdu called 后花园 that was open for a few summers in Roman Vacation Plaza. Not many foreigners hung out there so the games were all in Chinese, but that was where I learned to play Settlers of Cataan which is definitely one of the best board games I’ve played. Chinese chess is fun also, not sure if you play that but it’s worth learning if you haven’t.

I have Western and Chinese chess sets.

Participant

im down for settlers, gloom, monopoly, blockus, guess who, telephone, risk, kings court, rummy, and whatever else you wanna throw at me!

though thanks to mr whil wheaton… i would super be down to play gloom

Participant

btw… do you happen to the guy who posted the classified in go chengdoo? lol

@Federico

Yeah I saw that article, I’m actually going to check out the board game bar they mention there on Sunday. I’ll let you know how it goes.

@Charlie

Yeah I just learned how to place Chinese chess not too long ago. I liked it, but less so than I like Japanese chess(Shogi).

@iameric

Do you own any of those? I’ve played Gloom before, it was ok. The gimmick with the transparent cards is better than the game.

I replied to someone on go chengdu, but I didn’t initiate. I also tried to contact the magazine after they did their board game issue.

@all

I’m going to try out the board game bar mentioned in gochengdu, see if it’s nice there. Otherwise, any ideas on venues? Do any of you have games to bring? I have carcasonne with me. I could play after work next week some time, then I’m out of chengdu for a few weeks.

Participant

i couldnt find the board game bar mentioned in that article.. yulin lu isnt exactly a small street….

Participant

There’s a post on the Couch Surfing website.

They’re going to meet up on Tuesday for the first time and if there’s enough people/ interest they’ll keep it going.

I enjoy a good game of Settlers, but not Risk. Takes too long.

@Vincent. Great link. I guess i’ll try going to that.

@Chris Yeah, Risk is a crappy game anyway, there are way better out there.

Taboo is probably my favorite of all time though, if that can be considered a board game.

Anyone going to join me at the group from couch surf? I don’t want to abandon interested parties, but I think joining up with them will be best, the more than merrier right? I’ll at least post how it went after.

Participant

Chess? Anyone? No?…

Participant
    Quote:
    Anyone going to join me at the group from couch surf?

Yes, I’ll try to join.

Quote:
    Chess? Anyone? No?…

Not a big fan of Chinese chess, but would be nice to play with some other beginners instead of the well trained Chinese, so I never stand a chance.

Keymaster

How about we do this one day this week? How’s Thursday? A good place to do this would be Machu Picchu in Yulin.

The couch surfing group is meeting tonight.

On Sunday, the board game bar we went to was actually this one –

http://www.dianping.com/shop/5540693

The map is a little off, it’s across the bridge and in a residential-looking appartment building. I wouldn’t have found it without the help of coworkers.

20RMB per person, dunno if it matters how long you stay. Space was ok, though felt disorganized and messy. Board game selection was maybe 30-40 games, a few duplicates, many still in shrink wrap, all in Chinese (knock offs). The drinks are awful nasty koolaid– sorts of affairs.

I’m sure better options exist.

Participant

i watched all the tabletop videos. say anything, wits and wagers, and elder signs also look really fun!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    The couch surfing group is meeting tonight.

I’d rather just meet with 3-4 people from here in a local spot if there’s interest. Machu Pichu has a few games but if someone has Settlers of Cataan or Carcasonne that would work well.

Participant

mr charlie. i would be down for a game of settlers. :3

Participant

There are a few board game bars outside near the Lazy Pug/movie theater. If you are going northeast on first ring road, turn right at the movie theater near the Lazy Pug and go down the street until the first street, which is a T intersection on the left. The board game places are on the second story of the building with the Wowo in it. I’ve never played Settlers, but they do have it at the places I said. I a much bigger fan of Risk and Axis and Allies. I’ve always wanted to play Diplomacy though.

Anyone good at Go/围棋? I’m just started playing and would like to get better.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.