Captain America & Foreign Films in China

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCaptain America & Foreign Films in China

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Has anyone seen Captain America: First Avenger yet? I’m curious to know if it’s worth dropping my time and Yuan on it.

Chengdu’s film roster (along with China) is pretty poor overall, so it would also be great to find theaters that are perhaps showing a broader range, including independents.

It might be an idea to find a space where we could show movies ourselves, and invite members (& friends) of the forum along for movie nights. I know of a space with a projector and decent seating where this would be possible.

Keymaster

I haven’t seen Captain America… I would watch it but probably not in the theater. It’ll probably be cool as long as you keep your expectations in check. It is Captain America and it was directed by the guy who directed Jurassic Park 3 and Honey I Shrunk the Kids (Joe Johnston).

The thing about foreign films in China is that the ministry of entertainment (or whatever it’s actually called) only lets so many films into Chinese theaters per year. This is to prevent the box office from becoming all foreign movies, which it would certainly be if there weren’t this arbitrary rule.

The domestic film industry is overall pretty lackluster with a few exceptions. Ang Lee & Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero with Jet Li, etc. It’s a different story across the way in Hong Kong though, where they have a thriving and creatively flourishing film industry. Kung fu films (Bruce Li, Jackie Chan etc), John Woo (all the Chow Yun Fat movies), Wang Kar Wai (2046, Chungking Express), Stephen Chow (Kung Fu, Shaolin Soccer), etc the list goes on.

When Avatar came out they cut it’s run short to make room for the Confucious movie (which sucked) starring Chow Yun Fat: NY Times article on that. It’s not really a surprise though, as this is the protectionist behavior that everyone knows China for, giving domestic outfits a head up over international competition which is generally better in basically every way possible.

I’m totally down for the projector place that you describe. Where is it?

Nice title change! 😉

I’m aware of the control over foreign film here, it’s one of the reasons I see movies appearing in the cinema a year after I’ve watched a rip! Go China.

I’m still hopeful that there’s some clandestine operation somewhere that shows film that otherwise wouldn’t see the light of day. Another reason I like the idea of getting a movie night going.

I won’t mention the place until speaking to the owners, but I’ll show you where it is tomorrow evening. It’s right downtown.

Participant

Yeah, i think China only allows 20 foreign films a year, so of course its gonna be mostly action-blockbuster stuff (unlikely to see something like Blue Valentine here). I remember a few years ago heading down to the local multi-plex and seeing a poster for an awful-looking Dolph Lundgren straight-to-dvd (STD)action fest. I guess it was the end of the year and they had to fill their quota…..

BTW: i’d take Dolph over Segal any day!

Participant

Get together movie night sounds fun. Should do it on the weekend of National Holiday, everyone might be free then.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    BTW: i’d take Dolph over Segal any day!

Yeah I don’t think you’ll find many people that will be anxious to defend Steven Seagal. Under Seige is the best movie of his that I’ve seen. Tommy Lee Jones plays the villain and Steven Seagal is a “cook” / one man army.

*typo* ‘cock’.

Lol!

Participant

He runs like a girl

but I wouldn’t want him front kicking me to the face

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/xdG6yeakpvQ/

Participant

He runs like a girl

but I wouldn’t want him front kicking me to the face

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/xdG6yeakpvQ/

Participant

I saw Captain America hear in the US & enjoyed it. Not sure I wouldn’t wait & watch it at home if I had it to do over again though. I’m not sure how much it costs to go to the movies there though.

Re: Avatar… I just read a few days ago that when Avatar was coming out China passed a law saying it could only be shown in 3-D effectively greatly limiting the number of theaters it could be shown in.

Participant

I saw Captain America hear in the US & enjoyed it. Not sure I wouldn’t wait & watch it at home if I had it to do over again though. I’m not sure how much it costs to go to the movies there though.

Re: Avatar… I just read a few days ago that when Avatar was coming out China passed a law saying it could only be shown in 3-D effectively greatly limiting the number of theaters it could be shown in.

Participant

I’m hoping this new film “Driven” gets a cinema release here. It’s getting good reviews back home, and it’s kinda action-y so it could hit the screens here. However, it doesn’t star my man Leo Di C. so it might not happen….

Re: Seagal: gotta admire a man who can snap arms like twigs, all without even the slightest hint of a smile….try it some time

Participant

I’m hoping this new film “Driven” gets a cinema release here. It’s getting good reviews back home, and it’s kinda action-y so it could hit the screens here. However, it doesn’t star my man Leo Di C. so it might not happen….

Re: Seagal: gotta admire a man who can snap arms like twigs, all without even the slightest hint of a smile….try it some time

I think I’ll definitely be checking out Captain America. I like Chris Evans, & even though he’s a studio pigeon he still manages to pull off making the audience interested.

I’m dying to see Driven. Ryan Gosling is one of my favourite actors, with some awesome performances to his credit. Driven was a project he essentially put together himself outside of the studio system, and by all accounts I’ve heard so far the movie is set to make pay dirt. It’s even been rated above Bullit! There’s a fair chance of it getting released here, though I’d expect to have a decent rip of it before that happens, and that’s why having a movie night would be all kinds of awesome!

Funny, I used to loathe Leonardo Man Child Di Caprio, but then changed my mind after seeing Woody Allen’s ‘Celebrity’.

As for Seagal, I’d snap HIM like a twig, all without even the slightest hint of giving a damn! He’ll forever be stuck in Vancouver making horrible low budget movies, using his straight jacket fighting technique. LOL.

I think I’ll definitely be checking out Captain America. I like Chris Evans, & even though he’s a studio pigeon he still manages to pull off making the audience interested.

I’m dying to see Driven. Ryan Gosling is one of my favourite actors, with some awesome performances to his credit. Driven was a project he essentially put together himself outside of the studio system, and by all accounts I’ve heard so far the movie is set to make pay dirt. It’s even been rated above Bullit! There’s a fair chance of it getting released here, though I’d expect to have a decent rip of it before that happens, and that’s why having a movie night would be all kinds of awesome!

Funny, I used to loathe Leonardo Man Child Di Caprio, but then changed my mind after seeing Woody Allen’s ‘Celebrity’.

As for Seagal, I’d snap HIM like a twig, all without even the slightest hint of giving a damn! He’ll forever be stuck in Vancouver making horrible low budget movies, using his straight jacket fighting technique. LOL.

Participant

Yeah i like Gosling, he was great in Blue Valentine. The director of “Driven” is a pretty crazy Dane who also did “Valhalla Rising” which is awesome; slow, brooding, and brutal.

I just saw the poster for “Drive” (not “Driven”) at the cinema next to my gym, but alas, it’s a Nic Cage flick. That guy’s got serious tax trouble in the states, so he’s pumping out some pretty lame stuff these days, but he used to be the man.

Seagal (Seagull?) flicks seem to be popular on long-distance buses all over the world. Painful to watch…..

Participant

Yeah i like Gosling, he was great in Blue Valentine. The director of “Driven” is a pretty crazy Dane who also did “Valhalla Rising” which is awesome; slow, brooding, and brutal.

I just saw the poster for “Drive” (not “Driven”) at the cinema next to my gym, but alas, it’s a Nic Cage flick. That guy’s got serious tax trouble in the states, so he’s pumping out some pretty lame stuff these days, but he used to be the man.

Seagal (Seagull?) flicks seem to be popular on long-distance buses all over the world. Painful to watch…..

Erm, my typo… ‘Drive’!! Driven is a horrible Stallone flick, and Drive Angry is a bloody awful (obviously!) Nick Cage excuse for a flick, and lordy lord knows why they’re showing that shit in 3D. It’s bloody terrible. Nick Cage defies movie physics.

Erm, my typo… ‘Drive’!! Driven is a horrible Stallone flick, and Drive Angry is a bloody awful (obviously!) Nick Cage excuse for a flick, and lordy lord knows why they’re showing that shit in 3D. It’s bloody terrible. Nick Cage defies movie physics.

Keymaster
    Quote:

A lot of guys hate on him because of Titanic but honestly I think that’s kinda silly. Even though he was real girly in Titanic, it’s a chick flick anyway so IMO he really hit the target in a sense. Still not my personal favorite.

Leonardo DiCaprio is a great actor who chooses outstanding roles though. He’s already legendary status actor with movies like The Departed, Inception, Shutter Island, The Aviator etc. Even his old movies like Basketball Diaries and Gilbert Grape are really good. This is in contrast to many “A-List” actors who suck like Nick Cage, Keanu Reeves, etc.

I admit to holding bias, The Departed and Inception are two of my favorite movies of all time. But objectively I think it’s tough to mess with his resume.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.