Chengdu Restaurant Suggestions

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChengdu Restaurant Suggestions

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I’ve been in Chengdu for almost a year now and there are still things I have yet to find here. And of course, I would be referring to the foods. (Why am I such a goddamn fatty?)

If you have any suggestions, please throw em in the comments below.

– Pho (or any freaking Viet food…)

– Sushi (Yes, I know there’s tons of sushi restaurants here, but I mean a safe one. I literally needed to get my stomach pumped after I went to 四海一家 in Yanlord)

– Malaysian Food

– Schwarmas

– Dim Sum (I want to find some nice, legit, HONG KONG styled dim sum)

Anyone else needing help with food, feel free to piggy back off this thread.

Keymaster

One thing that I’ve been looking for for years in Chengdu is about to come to fruition… and that is a dedicated Mexican restaurant in the city. You’ve been able to get Mexican dishes at Peter’s for years but the quality is kinda just so-so. The place that is going to open soon is run by the Lazy Pug people though who have proven that they are well capable of managing a high quality restaurant in Chengdu. I am really looking forward to that – I’ve heard that the name will be Crazy Pug but we’ll see.

Quote:
    – Sushi (Yes, I know there’s tons of sushi restaurants here, but I mean a safe one. I literally needed to get my stomach pumped after I went to 四海一家 in Yanlord)

There are two places that I go to get sushi in Chengdu – one is in Tongzilin and another is on Renmin Nanlu just south of Tianfu Sq. If you were driving up Renmin Nanlu you would turn right onto the last street before you get to Tianfu Square and the restaurant is on the second floor of the building on the corner on your right side. If I knew the name I’d post it here but I’m pretty sure some other people on here have been there (at the very least Ben on the forum who I’ve gone to this restaurant with a few times).

One other thing about sushi – sushi at a buffet is always a pass, you cannot make good sushi in enormous quantities like that without hugely compromising quality.

Quote:
    Pho (or any freaking Viet food…)

Oh God, I wish this was in Chengdu.

Participant

dim sum – check out the Shang Palace restaurant at Shangri-la, they do a 70rmb all you can eat dim sum brunch, pretty delicious. there’s a place called BestChet Hong Kong Restaurant in Jiuyanqiao area as well, near NiuWangMiao, that is supposed to be good too. i’m going to try it in the next week – will report back on my findings.

Charlie, what’s the other place for good sushi in Tongzilin? Hefeng?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Charlie, what’s the other place for good sushi in Tongzilin? Hefeng?

I actually cannot recall the name. It’s a small place, maybe capacity 25, and you always see Japanese people in there eating.

Participant

oh snap. is it miyako no sakura or whatever? on europe street?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    oh snap. is it miyako no sakura or whatever? on europe street?

Yes that’s it – it’s on the Europe street.

Participant

@Charlie

The place you’re talking about on the 2nd floor – I used to go there. It’s the one which had 2 sections, one was like a sushi-bar and one was more of a big-chair ‘formal’ seating area, right?

I went there and it was some Chinese chain restaurant now.. I liked that place, used to get me big bottles of sake and chow down on sashimi and eel – which they made best I’ve tasted in Chengdu.

Since that gem seems to be gone, I’d suggest rather going to the place across from Shamrock on 2nd ring, 2nd floor – they have buffets for 200rmb and the quality is good. I think the best dish there is the crab, though – awesome crab dish stuffed into a crab shell, really tasty. Several other dishes very good also.

Participant

We’ve had a couple of Singaporean restaurants open up this year. The tastier (and much less $$) one is Peacock Pavilion, across from the Chenghua Ito Yokado. You could probably find a Malaysian dish or two there.

Shang Palace dim sum is OK for the price. Lei Garden does beautiful but $$ dim sum that is very consistent with the Hong Kong Lei Garden. The ‘Jingge’ Ginkgo restaurant by Rainbow Bridge is well known for its dim sum.

Most of the sushi and Japanese restaurants I’ve come across have been dismal – poor quality, fish clinging to the plate, etc. Last I was at Shangri-La’s Cafe Z it was cut to order, which is an improvement.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Since that gem seems to be gone, I’d suggest rather going to the place across from Shamrock on 2nd ring, 2nd floor – they have buffets for 200rmb and the quality is good. I think the best dish there is the crab, aunque – awesome crab dish stuffed into a crab shell, really tasty. Several other dishes very good also.

Dang, I hadn’t even realized that that place had closed. I will check out the place you mentioned though, but to clarify the location: it’s on the West side of Renmin Nanlu at the 2nd Ring Road intersection? Is it inside the Bailian Tianfu mall? Shamrock is quite a ways north of 2nd Ring Road.

Quote:
    Most of the sushi and Japanese restaurants I’ve come across have been dismal

Agree – good Japanese food isn’t easy to find in Chengdu, I’d say that 1/10 restaurants are worth the price they’re charging.

Participant

Re Vietnamese, has anyone been to Parrot Cafe by Carrefour lately? They at least used to serve Vietnamese food. There is the Vietnamese restaurant in Wan Da shopping centre as well, but I haven’t been to either place in at least two years. I just noticed the Wan DA Vietnamese restaurant has a tuan gou (groupon) on right now, might be a nice chance to check it out.

Participant

@Charlie

Wow, my bad. I didn’t mean on 2nd ring road..

It’s on Renmin Nanlu directly across from Shamrock. Not sure how 2nd ring snuck in there. It’s kinda beside Namaste indian food..

The staircase is broad, and there was a little car-parker stand/car parker people down there.. It’s not buffet style like walk around and grab cold hot dishes and warm cold dishes – you order like any other restaurant, just all you can eat/drink.. I really enjoyed it, but only been there twice.

Participant

@SS

Went to Parrot Cafe a couple months ago, wasn’t really impressed. I can’t remember what I had exactly, but I wasn’t impressed, so I guess that says enough to me that it wasn’t worth heading back for or remembering 🙂

Participant

-_- i didnt recognize my own thread because SOMEONE changed my title.

Participant

SS:Peacock Pavillion has not been around since last month

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Re Vietnamese, has anyone sido to Parrot Cafe by Carrefour lately? They at least used to serve Vietnamese food. There is the Vietnamese restaurant in Wan Da shopping centre as well, but I haven’t been to either place in at least two years. I just noticed the Wan DA Vietnamese restaurant has a tuan gou (groupon) on right now, might be a nice chance to check it out.

I am totally down to check this place out. Send me a PM if anyone else wants to go, finding 4 people will be easy.

Quote:
    -_- i didnt recognize my own thread porque SOMEONE changed my title.

I changed the title to make it more clear to people browsing the forum, no offense Eric.

Participant

The Viet place (Saigon) in Wanda is OK. But for South East Asian food, its by far the best in Chengdu. I dont consider Thai food ‘SEA’ food, since its bastardized with sugar (as in the states). Unless there is a Thai person who is the chef, then i can ask him to make a special dish for me.

The Pho at ‘Saigon’ is meh. Though it does hit the spot when im in dire need of Pho (note Pho isnt just Viet food, they just commercialize it well and hence its their staple food). The fishcakes they have hits home, very tasty. There are other stuff on the menu, but my ideas are set on what to order when i go there. Overall i give it a 6/10. Check it out.

Participant

It’s aight. I tend to write quite cryptically.

There’s a Japanese noodle restaurant behind Underground that’s worth a try. Two of them divided by an Italianish place. Same restaurants, different locations.

The menu isn’t huge, but everything we’ve tried there has been great. Overall its quiet, cozy, clean, and the prices are reasonable for the quantity and quality.

Participant

I went to that Japanese place a couple weeks ago and had a set meal. The interior is nice and the food was great. I’m looking forward to going back and trying the ramen.

Keep hearing about a Japanese/sushi place in Chicony mall on the 9th floor next to Papa Johns. Will give that a shot this week and report back. Supposedly good quality and priced right.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.