Future classmates in Chuanda?

HomeForumsIn ChengduFuture classmates in Chuanda?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Hi,

me and 3 other classmates will be going to Sichuan university from August to July to study Chinese. Just wondering if there are any other prospective classmates lurking about. 🙂

We’re 3 from Britain and 1 from Spain.

Participant

I am 🙂

Cool! What year are you?

Participant

I dont know yet, i’ve to do an entry exam or something, so they can place me in the right class. My spoken Chinese is decent but i forgot all the writing and reading. I am from Holland by the way. Are you all staying in the dorms or off campus ? I’m looking for a room off campus.

I’ll actually be starting at Sichuan University this September. See you all there!

Anyone familiar with the international dorms? I think depending on the quality, I’d be looking for an off-campus apartment as well.

Participant

I’ve studied one semester at Chuanda and my classmates told me the dorms are not bad, but for the same (or less money) you’ll find an apartment off-campus.

I’ll start with my second semester in Sept.

We’re planning to move off campus in second semester when our Chinese is a bit better. We e-mailed the lady who deals with us but have yet to get a reply, don’t even know if we have the accommodation we asked for!

Participant

I haven’t got an email either; hell, I’ve never received a reply from anyone from the college; the only thing that has worked has been a phone call.

But yeah, I’m also starting in late August after spending most of the month in Shandong. Starting college over and haven’t really studied the language (besides linguistic information that doesn’t have much in the way of practicality), so I’ll be a freshman.

P.S.: I’m from California and spent the last couple of years in college in New Mexico.

Participant

the student office is closed for the summer holiday. They open again somewhere mid August

Participant

I emailed back in June when they were open, but still got no response. It’s odd that they put the deadline for giving declaring housing info to be during when they are closed.

Participant

it’s still China 😉

Who do you email? We email someone we call ‘Phoenix Girl’ because of her e-mail address. I’m still in the process of getting ridiculously expensive vaccines and debating whether to get malaria pills for travelling in the hotspots…

Participant

[email protected]

That is the address that was given to me in the admission package. It said the deadline was July 13th, but the offices were (and still are) closed, so it is confusing. I’m sure if you email soon it shouldn’t be that much of a problem–but I’m just speculating. Better to call. Though it might not be the only address since the wording is, “Student who wants live on campus may email our office ([email protected])…” (emphasis is mine). Makes me ask if there are other ways of registering for a room which weren’t told to us.

But perhaps I’m missing something. I’m going to be on the main campus (Wangjiang) and are you too? If so, then where did you get the address for ‘Phoenix Girl’?

Lastly, I feel like an idiot for asking, but I just noticed it right now, what is Chuanda and is it distinct from Sichuan University, or perhaps just an alternate spelling of Chengdu?

Participant

Chuan… as is Sichuan

Da… from da xue (university)

All universities have their abbreviations here

Participant

@Xiale I am surprised that you worry about vaccines and stuff. On all my visits to china I never had any vaccines. Neither did I take malaria pills.I’ve been communicating with the overseas students office with a friend of mine who teaches at Chanda. The ppl working in the office are very relaxed, you don’t have to worry to much. Even if you haven’t applied since you can still join the semester from September onwards. Just show up in the week of 23-29 august. On the 29 I have to do a entry test if I remember correctly. I’ve been communicating with ms. Mi and ms. Zhou. If u applied with a scholarship contact ms Zhou and if not contact ms Mi. The mdj email address above is the one of ms Mi

Participant

What i mean is that I contacted the office direCtly but since they Hardly reply, I asked my friend to check it out for me and they told him all was good and that I shouldn’t worry

Word of advice for anyone needing to do official communication in China.

They’re not as accustomed to using email here. The schools “should be,” but they often don’t. I recommend downloading the international version of QQ (China’s most popular messenger). Get your contact’s QQ number and use that for communication instead. If you got an email from say, “[email protected]”, the number preceding the @ is what you will want to use.

I don’t really remember, maybe I’m on Wangjiang campus haha. I lost the manual thingy we got.

Everyone who does the year exchange is required to take vaccines and personally I don’t like taking unnecessary risks, haha. Furthermore, mosquitoes feast on me like something and I have allergic reactions to mosquito bites. I’m going to swim in repellent every day. xD

Phoenix Girl email was just on one of the papers we got, I also forgot about where… We asked for the accommodation around February/March on the “form” where we had to write it at the bottom of the page xD It’s just our supervisor sounded so unsure that we wanted confirmation. Well, I don’t really care any more. Whatever will be, will be.

Thanks for the email addresses everyone!

Hi guys ,

I’m posting this here but I’m not quite sure will be classmates next year. I’m joining the Uestc in Chengdu. is that a different university from yours ??

Participant

Yep thats another university. We are talking about Sichuan University. I heard good things about UESTC as far as their Chinese Language Program is concerned. Nice people and small classes !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.