Interested in Meeting New People

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionInterested in Meeting New People

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys

I’m attending at the moment a cooking class at “Sichuan Higher Institute of Cuisine” for this and the next week. I will be staying a bit longer in Chengdu afterwards as well and would love to meet new people from around here!

Maybe first a short introduction: I’m Mike, 23 y/o and from Switzerland. I’m a chef and that’s why I’m attending the cooking class 😉 Therefore I’m interested in cooking, food in common, meeting new people, having nice chats and also going out!

Would be great to meet some of you during my time here!

Cheers Mike

Hey Mike, welcome to CDL. So you’re going to invite us all over for dinner sometime right?

Participant

If someone let me use their kitchen I have nothing against cooking for you guys =) But I would prefer to cook some Western food though^^ Atm I’m still struggling a bit with Chinese cuisine.. Might be better in a weeks time though^^

Participant

Hey Mike!

I would say welcome but I’m pretty new here too. 🙂

How are you liking it at the institute? I’m considering signing up for a private class as I don’t have much time left in Chengdu for a proper course.

Participant

Hey Lisa

so, we seem to be two newbies then 😉

I like being at the institute. I’m now in a class with chefs frome the police and army. For me it’s just a bit hard as I don’t speak a single word Chinese^^ but luckily the school provided a guide and he is translating almost everything for me 😉

Well, normally I think you have to stay at least two weeks at the institute. But if you want I can ask my guide (he is also a teacher at the institute) if he could arrange something for you. Maybe you could even join my cooking class for a week?

Anyway, maybe we can catch up for a drink on the weekend or so to share some experiences 😉

Participant

hell ya. spicy Chinese food with Baijiu. damm right Im down…

Hey Mike, welcome to the Du!

I have both kitchen and large appetite, please advise!

I’m pretty positive I could rustle up a few hungry bodies for you to dazzle with your cooking. I often cook for friends, and every so often someone will come and cook for me too.

Give me a shout.

Participant

Yes to supper club! I’m also building up a list of restaurants I want to try out before I leave (incl. Family Yu’s Kitchen, basically all the ones that are highly recommended on Dianping.com), if anyone would care to join me, you’re more than welcome. 🙂

Not too sure about baijiu though. 😛 It probably is the only Chinese alcoholic beverage that goes with all Chinese food (or none, rather). Blegh.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Family Yu’s Kitchen

Check that place out. You gotta have baijiu with that meal, though.

Participant
    Quote:
    Check that place out. You gotta have baijiu with that meal, though.

Apparently one dish is a glorified excuse to keep drinking. Very clever. I have to check this place out!

Participant

@Brendan: Thanks! It’s great to be back in Du. Was shortly here last October already^^ Would love to cook for you and some friends! Unfortunately they just told me today that I have classes on the weekend as well… Maybe I can take Saturday off though. But anyway from Friday 25th I should be staying in a hostel somewhere in Du (any recommendations?^^) and from then I’m happy to cook for you guys!

@Lisa: Family Yu’s Kitchen is also on my to-do list =) When do you wanna go?^^ I have quite bad memories about baijiu but I think one or two are still ok 😉 btw: I asked my “guide” here at the institute about the private cooking class. You are more than welcome! See also PM 😉

As I like to suggest thing I would say the following:

25.1 Family Yu’s Kitchen (what do you think Lisa?^)

26.1 Cooking at Brendan’s home (if that suits you of course!)

Keymaster
    Quote:
    But anyway from Friday 25th I should be staying in a hostel somewhere in Du (any recommendations?^^)

This is not a comprehensive list but these are the three that I think are the best hostels in Chengdu: Hostels on Chengdu Places

Participant

Thanks for the link Charlie! Will have a closer look tonight. Now I need to go back cooking 😉

@Mike.

I’m away myself this weekend Mike, I’ll be heading to Xiling/Huashuiwan to chill out and enjoy the Hot Springs.

26th might work, I’ll confirm with you after the weekend by PM to get the ball rolling. Look forward to having you rustle something up.

Participant

Sounds great Brendan! Enjoy your weekend then.

Looking forward to getting your PM then =)

Participant

welcome, mike.

sounds like you need us to be your test subjects, uh? count me in. lol

Participant
    Quote:
    @Lisa: Family Yu’s Kitchen is also on my to-do list =) When do you wanna go?^^ I have quite bad memories about baijiu but I think one or two are still ok 😉 btw: I asked my “guide” here at the institute about the private cooking class. You are more than welcome! See also PM 😉

As I like to suggest thing I would say the following:

25.1 Family Yu’s Kitchen (what do you think Lisa?^)

I’m totally up for it! Thanks so much for your message, I’ll give the instructor a call. 🙂

Also if you love Sichuan noodles, there’s this wonderful place that I’ve been going to for about 16 years – no joke. It still hasn’t changed and the flavour is brilliant.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Also if you love Sichuan noodles, there’s this wonderful place that I’ve been going to for about 16 years – no joke. It still hasn’t changed and the flavour is brilliant.

16 years is quite a while – where is this noodle place?

Participant
    Quote:
    16 years is quite a while – where is this noodle place?

Yup! It’s on the intersection of Yangshijie and Dongchenggenjie I think, called 大众面. I used to live around there. It’s a great local place and the prices are very reasonable. Perhaps part of the appeal is the nostalgia; you guys’ll have to try it out and let me know if my recommendation is justified!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yup! It’s on the intersection of Yangshijie and Dongchenggenjie I think, called 大众面.

It sounds kind of like the cafeteria at a Volkswagen dealership. Anyway, I looked for it on Dianping but I don’t think any of these are the restaurant that you’re talking about. Correct me if I’m wrong. I’d like to check the place out, it doesn’t seem like many restaurants are 16 years old here.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.