Kick- and Thaiboxing in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionKick- and Thaiboxing in Chengdu?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@Jenny

My friend said “And on saturday I should have meeting with boss of new fighting gym and we will tallk about posible job for me…If will be ok…I want teach full stand up fight(sanshou with albows and knees from muay thai)…”

I’ll let you know if he’ll start teachining classes this weekend. He’s a good fighter – not just a ‘classroom’ fighter, but competes regularly in different styles of competition. Speaking of iron shins, the fight I corner-manned for him..he lost due to decision, but the winner went to the hospital after – because he busted up his leg on my friend’s shin. He doesn’t roll pins/bars, you want to use a heavy bag or something similar to cause impact damage to the bone.. slightly damage and compress the bone, microfractures and such. Rolling is a VERY BAD practice, it only kills nerves so you don’t feel pain – by slowly damaging and compressing/fracturing the bone, the bones build up stronger rather than just deadening pain..where you end up being the one with a busted leg when the two shins collide.

Participant

@Jenny

My friend said “And on saturday I should have meeting with boss of new fighting gym and we will tallk about posible job for me…If will be ok…I want teach full stand up fight(sanshou with albows and knees from muay thai)…”

I’ll let you know if he’ll start teachining classes this weekend. He’s a good fighter – not just a ‘classroom’ fighter, but competes regularly in different styles of competition. Speaking of iron shins, the fight I corner-manned for him..he lost due to decision, but the winner went to the hospital after – because he busted up his leg on my friend’s shin. He doesn’t roll pins/bars, you want to use a heavy bag or something similar to cause impact damage to the bone.. slightly damage and compress the bone, microfractures and such. Rolling is a VERY BAD practice, it only kills nerves so you don’t feel pain – by slowly damaging and compressing/fracturing the bone, the bones build up stronger rather than just deadening pain..where you end up being the one with a busted leg when the two shins collide.

@Rick, thank you, would be much appreciated. Could you contact me on my mobile phone if things gonna start at the weekend? I usually don’t check my e-mails regularly as I will be outside a lot. I will Pm you the number if this is ok for you. Do you know where the gym is located?

and about the shins no worry, I am not afriend of smashing my nerves and also with my bones I take it easy, I used to wear shin protectors. I am actually not intending to have any fights, just practising for fitness and self-defense reasons:)

@Jerry: Do you have more information on this place called U37? Where is it located if you say, it is “quite far”. Is there a contact person to call?

@Rick, thank you, would be much appreciated. Could you contact me on my mobile phone if things gonna start at the weekend? I usually don’t check my e-mails regularly as I will be outside a lot. I will Pm you the number if this is ok for you. Do you know where the gym is located?

and about the shins no worry, I am not afriend of smashing my nerves and also with my bones I take it easy, I used to wear shin protectors. I am actually not intending to have any fights, just practising for fitness and self-defense reasons:)

@Jerry: Do you have more information on this place called U37? Where is it located if you say, it is “quite far”. Is there a contact person to call?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Link works for me, both on VPN and off. Wish i knew how to print screen to show you.

Works fine for me now, not sure what happened. Thanks!

Quote:
    you want to use a heavy bag or something similar to cause impact damage to the bone

I think that is good advice, I would personally not use the rolling method either, although it is commonly practiced in Thailand amongst muay thai fighters. They use things like this: Krushin.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Link works for me, both on VPN and off. Wish i knew how to print screen to show you.

Works fine for me now, not sure what happened. Thanks!

Quote:
    you want to use a heavy bag or something similar to cause impact damage to the bone

I think that is good advice, I would personally not use the rolling method either, although it is commonly practiced in Thailand amongst muay thai fighters. They use things like this: Krushin.

Participant

Hello Jenny,

I have practiced muay thai for the past 4 years with Li Qing in Mianyang and have spent some time in Thailand as well. I am also a certified personal trainer. I worked with Moko for a couple of weeks last year, but his gym was pretty far from where I was living and wasn’t really what I was looking for. Currently I have a couple of private classes every week at a couple of locations and I am meeting with another gym on Saturday. I might not be the most experienced fighter in Chengdu, but I am a great trainer who understands fitness, muay thai, and training. I can give you some more information about classes early next week if you are interested.

As for $, 200/hr for a private is acceptable. Like Jerry, I charge 400/hr for private classes. Open classes usually run around 30-45/hr depending on the location and number of students.

Participant

Hello Jenny,

I have practiced muay thai for the past 4 years with Li Qing in Mianyang and have spent some time in Thailand as well. I am also a certified personal trainer. I worked with Moko for a couple of weeks last year, but his gym was pretty far from where I was living and wasn’t really what I was looking for. Currently I have a couple of private classes every week at a couple of locations and I am meeting with another gym on Saturday. I might not be the most experienced fighter in Chengdu, but I am a great trainer who understands fitness, muay thai, and training. I can give you some more information about classes early next week if you are interested.

As for $, 200/hr for a private is acceptable. Like Jerry, I charge 400/hr for private classes. Open classes usually run around 30-45/hr depending on the location and number of students.

@collin: thanks a lot for your introduction – 400/hr is not affordable for me, but I understand that you are an English speaking certified trainer, so of course your fees differ a lot from local standards.

Where do they open classes take place exactly?

@collin: thanks a lot for your introduction – 400/hr is not affordable for me, but I understand that you are an English speaking certified trainer, so of course your fees differ a lot from local standards.

Where do they open classes take place exactly?

Participant

I noticed a judo school today just below my school in Shuhan Lu. it’s called Ippon, and apparently they have a few branches. Facilities looked ok, and there were a few students of dfferent ages doing their thang…

Participant

Hello there Jenny. I’m currently practicing at a gym up close to the central campus of Chuan Da.

If you look south, behind Bar Street it’s inside an apartment complex: 诺巴特泰拳馆, 致民路23号

It’s pretty good, and teaches a mainly Muay Thai, but with a smattering of Sanda thrown in for good measure. The instructor is a stickler for carbon copy form on some techniques, though.

They have a range of price deals, but if I remember right I was able to get a very fluent membership: think I paid 2,000 RmB for a stamp card with 100 lessons. That’s pretty handy if you have fluctuating spare time and don’t know from week to week how often you’ll make it in.

thanks for this advice, sounds awesome and the prices reasonable as well! Especially the flexible stamp card. Do you know their opening times, as I am usually working late. Are they open at weekends as well?

I gonna have a look next week at it. Anyone who wants to join? 🙂

By the way, my boyfriend is a boxer and looking for a place where he can train, any ideas about that?

Participant

Yeah, the classes are on every day at 8:00 pm, as well as some afternoons (I only know Wednesday for certain) at 4. There are some weekend times as well, but you’d be better off going in and asking them than relying on me for those, I’m afraid. I do know, though that there used to be a sparring class at 3 on Sunday afternoons.

No idea about a pure boxing gym in Chengdu, though, but you may be able to find it through google or baidu.

Participant

Yeah, the classes are on every day at 8:00 pm, as well as some afternoons (I only know Wednesday for certain) at 4. There are some weekend times as well, but you’d be better off going in and asking them than relying on me for those, I’m afraid. I do know, though that there used to be a sparring class at 3 on Sunday afternoons.

No idea about a pure boxing gym in Chengdu, though, but you may be able to find it through google or baidu.

Participant

There’s a mixed competition on the 27th if anyone is interested. There will be some K1, MT, and MMA fights. One new professional MMA fighter, ex Sanda (wushu) world champ for a few years running will be there, Muslim Salikhov:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-y3JWGJCdU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_Salikhov

I went training with my buddy today, rough. Exhausted. Shoulda brought a mouthguard 😀 Here’s 1 of the gyms he trains at..

gym1_zps99bd2b9f.jpg

gym2_zpsa5408f04.jpg

gym3_zps1994ec52.jpg

gym4_zpsff84387b.jpg

gym5_zps1abadee8.jpg

If anyone interested in learning primarily stand-up fighting — muay thai/sanda or MMA, send me your # and I’ll pass it along. He has a couple students twice a week and you can check it out. I think the gym he teaches students at is a lil nicer than this one..this is a wushu association gym just for fighting, as you can see they don’t have much in terms of weights 😛

Keymaster
    Quote:
    There’s a mixed competition on the 27th if anyone is interested. There will be some K1, MT, and MMA fights. One new professional MMA fighter, ex Sanda (wushu) world champ for a few years running will be there, Muslim Salikhov:

I’m interested in this event – do you have any info? Who’s fighting, location, price, etc?

Quote:
    Here’s 1 of the gyms he trains at..

Bench needs more plates. 😀

Participant

Yeah, I was thinking “Where’s the weights” – but realized nobody uses them for anything other than light weights to hold while doing fast standing punch/etc type reps..

Charlie the event was moved up to next month due to something related to the quake – I’m heading to train with my friend this aft and will get the details and post them here.

Participant

Re that sparse gym pic: for most of the guys at my gym, that’s sufficient equipment. Pull out the smartphone, sit on the bench….

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.