Moving Soon, What Type of Phone Should I Buy?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMoving Soon, What Type of Phone Should I Buy?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone! … Im Suzanne … im moving to chengdu in two weeks from San Francisco … This blog has been an incredible resource for someone who’s never been to china … And the forum, even more specific/targeted information (thanks charlie! Initially, i ran across your blog on Google … then that evening, had dinner with a friend i met in a cafe about 4 years ago, adam, who i just accidentally found on Facebook, who coincidentally happened to have recently returned from living in chengdu … And said a friend of his named charlie writes a fantastic blog that i should check out, chengdu living 😉

My question … Im told that i should purchase an unlocked phone in the states, since phones are more expensive in chengdu (originally, i was told by AT&T in SF that i should wait to buy a phone in china, since id have to sign a new 2-year contract b4 i left the country, which didn’t make sense) … Any suggestions?

I hear that android is the most popular (along with Samsung Galaxy III), but also that Apple has just opened a store in chengdu (actually was just on the front page of the biz section in the SF Chronicle) … Is it better to get an unlocked iphone (since there would be support at the official Apple store … And i already have an AT&T ipad, which i guess i need to get unlocked as well) … Or do you all have another recommendations?

(Im a bit hesitant to spend a fortune on a smartphone, since ive heard there is quite a bit of theft, especially on public transport … A friend of mine teaching at a chengdu boarding school got his phone and computer stolen recently, along with several other teachers)

Thanks a million! Looking forward to meeting you all when i arrive … Cheers! Suzanne

P.s. im a film and transmedia producer (includes gaming, mobile, apps), previously worked in tech/telecom, also as a writer … Would love to connect with anyone in these areas … Thnx!

What kind of phone do you have now?

Any phone that uses GSM bands can be used in China. If you got a phone on contract in the US, it will have to be unlocked. Most of the time this can be done for free by your service provider if your account is in good standing. So inquire about that if you need.

If you want a brand new phone, it would still be best to buy an unlocked phone in the US because it will be cheaper than in China. If you get a new phone through a contract for the subsidized price, it will be locked and you’ll be stuck with a 2 year contract.

iphone vs android = apples to oranges

That’s another topic altogether. Android is more popular worldwide, but don’t get what’s most popular, get what you feel more comfortable using.

Theft is only an issue if you’re careless.

Lots of writers and mobile app developers here. You shouldn’t have a problem finding people in your field.

Come on in, the water’s fine!

Keymaster

Hi Suzanne,

You know Adam! That’s great, he’s a good friend.

Onto your phone question.. Chris is right that you should get what suits you. I have an iPhone and prefer that platform – if that sounds like you, I wouldn’t be too deterred by the fear of theft. I know tons of people with iPhones in Chengdu and I’ve never heard of anyone having theirs stolen by a pickpocket. I take the subway basically everyday, too.

If you want to go that route, it is slightly cheaper to buy in the US. Once you get here, you just pop your China-bought SIM card into the phone and that’s it. Really simple. Same deal if you get an unlocked Android phone. Having a smart phone is a good idea because you’ll have GPS enabled maps, wireless internet, etc. Just handy things to have in any city in general, but might be especially useful in Chengdu if you don’t know your way around.

Quote:
    Apple has just opened a store in chengdu (actually was just on the front page of the biz section in the SF Chronicle)

Chengdu’s Apple Store makes the SF Chronicle? Awesome. I visited the store and published a post on it a few months ago if you didn’t see that: Apple Set to Conquer Chengdu

Quote:
    P.s. im a film and transmedia producer (includes gaming, mobile, apps), previously worked in tech/telecom, also as a writer … Would love to connect with anyone in these areas … Thnx!

Fantastic line of work you’re in. There are a lot of mobile development opportunities in Chengdu right now.

Feel free to ask any other questions about Chengdu should you have any 🙂

Keymaster

One thing to add.. recently there are a ton of used iPhones for sale here on the forum. If you don’t want to spend much, an iPhone 3GS was just posted for sale here for 1,000 yuan which is about $150: iPhone 3GS for Sale

Thanks a million, Chris and Charlie! Truly appreciate your tips

Thanks guys, now i will indeed go with the iphone … Charlie, i was talking to the employees at the Apple store in Los Gatos, Silicon Valley–where Adam lives and where i grew up–and they wanted to get photos and info about their Chengdu store … They’d love your article, definitely send it to Apple … Get additional exposure 😉

Theft – ok, great, that makes me feel a whole lot better! … Now i can shift my mindset … Its the one thing people keep warning me about china (the subways) ive mostly lived in big cities, so im sure its similar …

Thanks for the warm welcome … Hope to meet you both and hear about what you’re doing 😉

Cheers! Suzanne

P.S. Charlie, Adam says hi 😉

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Charlie, i was talking to the employees at the Apple store in Los Gatos, Silicon Valley–where Adam lives and where i grew up–and they wanted to get photos and info about their Chengdu store … They’d love your article, definitely send it to Apple … Get additional exposure 😉

Feel free to share it with anyone! I would have no idea who to even send it to. I met a lot of cool people that day though, apparently Apple sent retail employees from multiple continents to Chengdu to work there for the inaugural weeks. They were all enjoying the experience of being in Chengdu and it felt great to have some knowledgeable foreigners there helping run the place as it would be run in the US.

Quote:
    Thanks for the warm welcome … Hope to meet you both and hear about what you’re doing 😉

We’re both around – get in touch anytime!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.