iPhone NSA (Youtube clip)

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussioniPhone NSA (Youtube clip)

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoBen.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Keymaster

Do you have an Android phone? Google collects far more data than Apple – critical for a company which makes all of its revenue from advertising, which means you and your data are the product. This was inevitable, though. It’s coming to Android, Apple just beat them to the punch. Third party apps have no access to fingerprint data and actual fingerprints aren’t stored – they store the data points which the phone uses to identify prints.

Still, all the recent NSA revelations are concerning. Has anyone deleted their Facebook, Google, and Microsoft accounts? That’s what it’ll take to be safe from having your data harvested by government agencies – and even that is no guarantee.

The optional fingerprint auth on the iphone in its current form is no different from what has been included with windows/linux laptops for years. The biometric data is encrypted and stored locally. I guess people are worried that the next step will be storing their biometric data in the cloud, and that this data will somehow be open to abuse from hackers or government agencies.

The solution? Do nothing – continue using a password to unlock your phone/tablet/computer. Leave the fingerprint auth to those less paranoid.

Has anyone deleted their Facebook, Google, and Microsoft accounts? That’s what it’ll take to be safe from having your data harvested by government agencies – and even that is no guarantee.

I consider this from time to time, though it would make little difference if we’ve had the NSA backdooring microchips for some time. It’s naive to imagine a world without such depth of intel, we will only ever know what’s taken place after the fact.

Keymaster

The solution?

Naysayers claiming “iPhone is definitely doomed this time!” accompanied by record sales.

Naysayers claiming “iPhone is definitely doomed this time!”

Oh, it’s doomed! You better start developing apps for windows phone because that shit is blowing up – 175,000 apps!

I remember saying something to you about apple being doomed when they released the first ipad. I didn’t really get it at the time. It was just a giant ipod touch.

Respect to apple for the fingerprint authentication on the iphone 5s. While unlocking a device using biometrics isn’t new. From what I have seen, apples implementation is fantastic. Definitely an engineering achievement.  I’m looking forward to android phone implementations. I hate pattern unlock, but am forced to use it as it’s a VPN security requirement.

Keymaster

I remember saying something to you about apple being doomed when they released the first ipad. I didn’t really get it at the time. It was just a giant ipod touch.

Haha! That comment is here in the comments section. I think it was hard to see usability of the iPad (which is where it really blew away the competition) looking at pre-release information. It really did just look like a big iPod Touch at first and it was hard to see that it was a breakthrough.

Haha! That comment is here in the comments section.

wow, that comment is hilarious. I couldn’t have been more wrong if I tried.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.