Open Data Part 2: 3/25 Data Dinner

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionOpen Data Part 2: 3/25 Data Dinner

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Do you think the Open Data article was mildly interesting? Do you have any desire to learn more and contribute to open innovation and open data in Chengdu? (If you have no idea  what I am talking about, read this post or this forum thread). Most importantly, who wants to have a beer and talk about data?

Anyway, here is what’s next:

1. It is important to know if there is real interest from the Chengdu community in open data. For example, does anyone care about bus routes or public transit – either to look at the data or build apps? If there is something you care about (e.g. transportation, environment, etc), then post a reply below and speak your mind.

2. It’s important to see if there is any actual data out there that is accessible and related to Chengdu/Sichuan. Do you know about any data or APIs that are online from the government, private sector, or otherwise? For example, here are a handful from Niklas Berglund (who is awesome):

3.We’re having a Data Dinner next Tuesday, March 25th, at 7pm at Carol’s on the River. It’ll be small and informal. Come have a drink or some food. I’m excited to chat about open data and innovation in general… and hoping to see if there’s a small handful of people that think this is a good idea worth some effort.

So, what do you think? Does this sound cool? Do you know of some data? Regardless, I like making friends and hope to see at least 1 person next Tuesday at Carol’s!

Bruce

Keymaster

I would love to join this but won’t be in town. I look forward to hearing what comes of it and how we can proceed. Good luck!

Participant

1. It is important to know if there is real interest from the Chengdu community in open data. For example, does anyone care about bus routes or public transit – either to look at the data or build apps? If there is something you care about (e.g. transportation, environment, etc), then post a reply below and speak your mind.

I care. Not only because I might make use of the data myself, but because I think it’s something that should be available to anyone who wanna make use of it. Been looking into and contributing to OpenStreetMap lately. I think open data opens up lots of opportunities. Perhaps I won’t make use of OpenStreetMap data myself, but by contributing to it I enable others to make use of it. By contributing I help laying a foundation for others to use the data for applications, research, whatever. I see huge potential in OpenStreetMap and other kinds of open data.

So, what do you think? Does this sound cool?

Yes!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.