Recommended Local Restaurants?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionRecommended Local Restaurants?

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@Kelsey,

I’m a Chihuo-totally!I’d love to join you guys on 3th april! You mentioned you don’t have much interest on hot-pot,how about Chuanchuan,haha…=__,= many Chuanchuan fly restaurants in chengdu…Anybody likes sweets?

Mi’s Taiwan Sian-chau tea,momoko cafe,3coffee,uid-coffee,peekaboo cat coffee,lost in Taipei….Can’t refuse desserts….

@Ye Ming,

Dongbei food includes manliness while southern food seems more delicate,though Sichuanese is the hot-n-spicy delicate one… There’s a nice Dongbei food restaurant in Guanghuacun area,Qingyang Dist.,named Liu ji ye sheng da yu fang.It serves good fish from Heilongjiang,Wusulijiang and Yalvjiang.With northern local kitchen stoves,you can served with hand-made corn pancakes.Do not forget to ask for extra Dongbei pickled cabbage.And tofu makes the soup tasty.(:

Most of your suggestions are related to foreign-owned ones….Maybe chengdued ones are really not as familiar as the Spot or similar to you.And The Livingroom, is similar to the spot.

Participant

@Miya, Yeah, we’re onto you. After years of experience in the Israeli inteligence services we’re capable of finding posts about restaurants in the few active forums of foreigners in Chengdu 🙂

Basically, I think it would be required nowadays to go online and be in touch with the community and what they are saying about you. You can learn a lot from those independent reviews, What is good and what is bad, and sometimes relate directly when needed. We do it because we care about our customers and what they think about us.

As for Vincent, I kinda agree with him. This thread’s title is Local Restaurants, and The Spot is exactly the opposite. However, granted that the conversation has taken this turn, and the group decided to go to eat in The Spot, We will be very happy to serve them this Tuesday (which will be French night) or any other time they come.

@ Kelsey, The Spot is not a “Mediterenean Restaurant” per se, but our chef Avi has done any food style you could imagine since going into kitchen business at 14 yrs old, and he’s doing Tuesdays himself. Apart from The Spot I would also like to join the recomendations for “Safari”. Sam is a great guy, and a good friend, his food is great, and the decor is my fav. in Chengdu. Check it out, It’s really good.

@Jerry S, Good for you! To each his own. Many people lately tend to compare us to the Lazy Pug or take sides. I personally think The Lazy Pug is an awesome place. The food is great and the atmosphere too. And of course Dana and Dan are always fun to talk too. I’ve been there many times (and enjoyed every time), and they’ve been to our place. Basically I think this town, and even the laowai community here is big enough for two restaurants that do burgers, don’t you think? There is no rivalry between us, we’re actually both working on the same effort of creating a ‘scene’ in Chengdu. So for us it’s a pleasure to see the Lazy Pug succeed. But if you want to take sides, or be Loyal, it’s cool. and even if you just downright don’t like us or what we do, also no harm done.

To sum it all up, Spread love guys. Us restaurant owners are all here to make you, the customers happier.

Cheers

Amir

Participant

Well played Amir… Well played

Participant

My choices for some quality western food.

The spot (Great for lunch time burgers) Lazy Pug (Sunday Brunch), Mike’s Pizza (American style Pizza)

Le Sud ( European Pizza), Underground (Fish n Chips), Bookworm (Veggie burger with chips)…

I still miss the falafel place…..

Forget Peter’s, Grandma’s Kitchen… over priced and over rated.

Participant

How is Peter’s overpriced and those others are not? Does not compute

Keymaster
    Quote:
    How is Peter’s overpriced and those others are not? Does not compute

I go to Peter’s from time to time and find it to be a decent value. Sometimes you want things that only Peter’s offers, but the prices there have dramatically increased over the last year or two. It’s not cheap, put it that way. Most of the food at Peter’s is good though, in my experience. In the time that Peter’s prices have gone up, other Western restaurants have exceeded it in food quality though, like The Lazy Pug and Bookworm. Mike’s is great too but is obviously limited to pizza and sandwiches.

Participant

Peter’s is well over priced for the quality of food…. Last year the burger went from 36rmb -50rmb.. It aint worth it.

As Charlie said

Quote:
    other Western restaurants have exceeded it in food quality though, like The Lazy Pug and Bookworm.

Participant

Hey Charlie, since your in CA right now, can you bring me un burrito de al pastor, sans frijoles? We’ll show Peter’s what good mexican tastes like.

Participant

And my favorite chinese restaurant is on the ground floor of the Carrefour near Yanlord/Fraser Suites. It’s more of a lunch place, but there lots of choices and everything is fresh and tasty. Might be called “Yusty”, or maybe that’s just what the napkins say.

Participant

Amir–

Totally agree, any city this size needs options, well said. As you know, like we do, this is one of the hardest businesses. We’ve been to the spot several times, loved the burgers and the atmosphere. You are good people who work incredibly hard. We’ve got nothing but love and respect for the spot and you and will continue to support what you are doing here. We look at you as more a friend than competition. Last night was a blast sharing stories and we’ll be in this Monday or Tuesday for dinner at the spot.

D & D

Jerry–

Thank you for your loyalty and constant help. Last July 4th, when we slammed and understaffed you threw on your pug shirt and starting clearing tables! We were screaming at you table 7, table 2 more water…..forgot you didn’t even know the numbers! You are great and we love you for it. And no, I will not let you order three entrees in one sitting! We love coming to work knowing you are often there to chat with.

Much love.

To all our other loyal customers, a sincere thank you in making our hard work worthwhile. One thing we will miss in this chaotic city.

Dana and Danny

Participant

Amir–

Totally agree, any city this size needs options, well said. As you know, like we do, this is one of the hardest businesses. We’ve been to the spot several times, loved the burgers and the atmosphere. You are good people who work incredibly hard. We’ve got nothing but love and respect for the spot and you and will continue to support what you are doing here. We look at you as more a friend than competition. Last night was a blast sharing stories and we’ll be in this Monday or Tuesday for dinner at the spot.

D & D

Jerry–

Thank you for your loyalty and constant help. Last July 4th, when we slammed and understaffed you threw on your pug shirt and starting clearing tables! We were screaming at you table 7, table 2 more water…..forgot you didn’t even know the numbers! You are great and we love you for it. And no, I will not let you order three entrees in one sitting! We love coming to work knowing you are often there to chat with.

Much love.

To all our other loyal customers, a sincere thank you in making our hard work worthwhile. One thing we will miss in this chaotic city.

Dana and Danny

Participant

@Dana

Hey, yesterday was a really fun night in your place. Big respect.

Would be a damn shame if you two ever left. But then again, nobody ever really leaves chengdu. They all come back:)

Happy Passover

Participant

@Dana

Hey, yesterday was a really fun night in your place. Big respect.

Would be a damn shame if you two ever left. But then again, nobody ever really leaves chengdu. They all come back:)

Happy Passover

Participant

@Amir, thanks for your reply. of course, how can you not be here when you are even on Sichuan TV, it’s just interesting to see how things develop, for sure something was gonna come up from the Spot later, again very little local restaurants could (or are bothered to) do this, small sichuan restaurants are famous for its ignorance in treating customers, (un)surprisingly they seem to be proud in doing so haha, it’s a part of being a sichuan restaurant. in the era of weibo, a creative reply could go viral, like Sainsbury’s renaming of Tiger bread in the UK, would like to see more of it (on chinese weibo), so far it’s mostly thank you for your concern we will improve full stop. safe, and boring. 😛 I dont remember when I followed the Spot on weibo since i dont usually follow any restaurant, let alone one that i’ve never been or heard of before, but when I searched it on weibo after reading Vincent’s comment, surprisingly it turns out that I followed the spot sometime ago and the Spot is also a follower of my account (?!), hence I had the impression ‘heavy presence on weibo’. sorry i might not be thinking from a restaurant customer’s perspective, but~ that’s what i thought. Having seen Vincent’s comment first and saw what it’s been said from the official weibo, I couldn’t be unsuspicious, however I would resist forming any opinion about its food or experience based only on the other’s words. having read about it intensely these days (also in a pr company’s blog), i quite look forward to going there ^^

@Kelsey & everyone that is joining Next Tue is French night ! i know very little about french cuisine, but the menu looks tempting. we shall plan to go to more chinese restaurants and that’s the main reason i appear in the post ^^, my Chinese stomach is quite lazy…

Dahaiwan near huaxiba is exceptionally good for someone who is not from guangdong but likes to eat cantonese style, one of my favorites in chengdu, it’s a place I dont mind get up early on Sat for its breakfast. Shrimp dumplings, ducks, durian snack….! :DDDDD for a taste of foreign, does anyone know if there is any Lebanese restaurant in chengdu?

Participant

@Amir, thanks for your reply. of course, how can you not be here when you are even on Sichuan TV, it’s just interesting to see how things develop, for sure something was gonna come up from the Spot later, again very little local restaurants could (or are bothered to) do this, small sichuan restaurants are famous for its ignorance in treating customers, (un)surprisingly they seem to be proud in doing so haha, it’s a part of being a sichuan restaurant. in the era of weibo, a creative reply could go viral, like Sainsbury’s renaming of Tiger bread in the UK, would like to see more of it (on chinese weibo), so far it’s mostly thank you for your concern we will improve full stop. safe, and boring. 😛 I dont remember when I followed the Spot on weibo since i dont usually follow any restaurant, let alone one that i’ve never been or heard of before, but when I searched it on weibo after reading Vincent’s comment, surprisingly it turns out that I followed the spot sometime ago and the Spot is also a follower of my account (?!), hence I had the impression ‘heavy presence on weibo’. sorry i might not be thinking from a restaurant customer’s perspective, but~ that’s what i thought. Having seen Vincent’s comment first and saw what it’s been said from the official weibo, I couldn’t be unsuspicious, however I would resist forming any opinion about its food or experience based only on the other’s words. having read about it intensely these days (also in a pr company’s blog), i quite look forward to going there ^^

@Kelsey & everyone that is joining Next Tue is French night ! i know very little about french cuisine, but the menu looks tempting. we shall plan to go to more chinese restaurants and that’s the main reason i appear in the post ^^, my Chinese stomach is quite lazy…

Dahaiwan near huaxiba is exceptionally good for someone who is not from guangdong but likes to eat cantonese style, one of my favorites in chengdu, it’s a place I dont mind get up early on Sat for its breakfast. Shrimp dumplings, ducks, durian snack….! :DDDDD for a taste of foreign, does anyone know if there is any Lebanese restaurant in chengdu?

Participant

should be ‘intensively’ in the first reply above, sorry 😛

Participant

should be ‘intensively’ in the first reply above, sorry 😛

Meeting tonight! 7 PM at the Spot. If you’re interested in meeting new people and trying out restaurants all around Chengdu, come join. My number is 18782007242 if you can’t find me.

Meeting tonight! 7 PM at the Spot. If you’re interested in meeting new people and trying out restaurants all around Chengdu, come join. My number is 18782007242 if you can’t find me.

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.