Seeking White Monkey Stories

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSeeking White Monkey Stories

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What’s up Chengdu!

I miss you guys. This month I’m embarking on the http://www.nanowrimo.org writing contest, trying to hit 50,000 words (but I’m aiming for 60,000) by the end of the month. My topic should be pretty relevant to most of you, whom I’m hoping will also enjoy reading by the time I revise it for the 1000000th time.

Anyways, I’m expanding on the whole WhiteMonkey thing I wrote about a while back on this fine website. The working title is Laowhy?: Languid in the Land of La, with er’body trying to write the “next best china book,” mine takes a bit of a detour. This isn’t about gov’t predictions or economic boom, history yada yadya, it’s about all you guys (and me too) who chose to live in China for the long haul. Sure it has laowai memoirs from yours truly, but also many a story from the cast of colorful characters I’ve met in my Sichuan tenure from 2008-2012. Don’t worry, if I mention you, you’re name is changed and who know’s when I get my banging bestseller, you can open it up and be like ” w00t THAT”S ME SUCKA! ” or you may just hate me, but whatever, I’m still squats-a-lot and deadlifting small buses, so bring it on, “You, ‘miring bro?”

So I’m about 18,000 hopefully will hit 20k tonight, as I sit with green tea, soon to swap over to G&T and I’d like to here your input.

The ethnography is taking a stab at these categories, some may be combined later

1) To Study Abroad, or to Study Broads

2) Long-Term English teachers

3) White Monkeyism and the Russian Invasion

4) Hi my Name is, and I’m a Workholic

5) Global Nomads and Freegans

6) Engaged Entrepreneurs (Prolly combined with workaholics) OR this can just be a Charlie Moseley chapter hehehehe

7) Mandarin Weeabos and Wannabees

8) The Plight of ABC s

9) Not So Starving Artists

10) Non-Profit Slaves

11) Missionaries and Business Execs with families in tow/ “Dad, do we really have to move to China?”

12) How the hell did I land this job? (There’s a few of those ahem, grossly under-qualified folks)

13) The Asian Fetish

So the idea isn’t just to say Johnny is a this, Jane is a that, because blah blah blah. It’s kind of an answers to “Why the fuck are so many ppl moving to China, what are they doing? “Wait that weird shit actually goes on? Cool.” Minus some of the profanity. Anyways, there are some decent parts thus far, so I’m not gonna abandon ship, just throw me a ring will ya.

[email protected] Twitter and Weibo: iseastars

Participant

Nice! I’ve always wanted to do a nanowrimo. Good luck! Let us know if you finish it.

Participant

Nice! I’ve always wanted to do a nanowrimo. Good luck! Let us know if you finish it.

Participant

Tired

Participant

Tired

Participant

sorry for the chaos post,

/bump/

share your stories

Participant

40,000 word update.

5 chapters left. I combined and refined some of the layout I posted earlier.

This is gunna be GUD!

Participant
    Quote:

13) The Asian Fetish

Are those chapters? If so it’d probably be cooler if you named that one “The Yellow Fever”

What are you squatting/lifting these days?

And not really into writing down the whole monkey story but the spring festival foreign boyfriend auction on taobao where I got sold for 3300RMB with the professionaly censured (see avatar) picture may be worth mentioning

Participant

@Vincent I” tamed” the titles a bit, but yeah it’s an overview.

True, “Yellow Fever” is funnier.

Oh man, so you have to tell us about the rent a boyfriend.

I did the “rent a wine expert” before but sure it can’t compare. I did the visit the girlfriends parents thing in 2009 and felt like a caged zoo animal.

hehe, off topic:

Squats: 315

Deadlift: 325 (no straps)

Bench 210 but haven’t maxxed yet

Overhead Military press 140 +

Started the 5/3/1/ and it’s going great

Participant

Oh snap, sorry Andy, I double posted and accidentally deleted yours.

This means, we must hear more about the “rent a boyfriend” experience.

Participant

Well actually there isn’t much of a story considering the whole thing didn’t go through and the organisation may of may not have been scamming money out of desperate chinese gals

The whole thing can be found in these two topics:

Wanted: Rental boyfriend for the spring festival

Different color Different price

So yeah all in all I got as far as being sold for 3300rmb for a girl who I had never met or seen. The company contacted me for some further information and I asked them some random questions and eventually they just didn’t reply anymore…

I can post or send you the e-mails if you’re thinking about writing something about it. Too bad the event didn’t actually take place, that would’ve been far more interesting 🙂

Off-topic:

Nice numbers, I take it that they are what you maxed out during 5/3/1? Or are they 1RM’s? Or calculated 1RM’s using Wendlers formula? (probably not the last one since I think you’re stronger)

OHP is kind of low considering your other numbers though, no?

Participant

Heh I remember following that thread.

Yea, those are my 90% numbers I’m working on for this 5/3/1 session.

Last time I was at my “1” for OHP I did about 4 or 5 reps, so I think there is some room for gains.

But yea, throw on a set of 20kg weights on each end for standing military isn’t so easy. My bench also needs some work, did 200×3 earlier today.

Not sure if I’m gonna get any writing today, but I upped the bar from 50k to 60k words by November 30, just takes discipline.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.