Spring Festival Traveling

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSpring Festival Traveling

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi I’m looking for some advice on what I can do in Sichuan during spring festival.

I have the whole week off, and I was looking to leave Chengdu on the 22nd, return on the 27th, to try and fit in my travel when most people are at home with family. Don’t want to spend heaps of money, so happy to go a couple of places that are cool and not too far and just hang out.

Any advice from Chengdu veterans?

I’d also be keen for travel buddies, if anyone is interested.

Participant

Even though most people do spend time with family, the popular places will still be JAM PACKED, despite the freezing weather. You need to consider this, as being jostled, shoved, pushed and queuing for hours can kinda be a bummer. Hainan Dao would be awesome, but this place in particular is elbow-to-elbow during Spring festival. Somewhere a little off the beaten track would be good, but that’s pretty elusive in China.

Participant

I also don’t think Chinese will stay at home, they will only stay one night in the home, rest week everywhere is jam.

I reamber last year when I go to EMei mountain at 初一(New Year’s Day ) that was a nightmare the whole highway turn to a big parking lot.

I suggest you fly to 南宁 then go to Vietnam, warm weather and have some seafood…much better than stay at Chengdu. 🙂

Participant

LOL my dad is coming to visit that week. I’m sure we’ll have a great time trying to show him the sights.

Keymaster

If you can get out of China for that week, that’ll be the best thing. Thailand or Vietnam, Laos, etc. Any even remotely touristy place in China will be a nightmare. Chengdu and other major cities will be quiet for that week, though.

Participant

@Charlie

I recall being here for the start of CNY last year. It wasn’t quiet, it was absolutely dangerous though – peasants wielding larger-than-their-body firecracker thunderbombs launching them off from morning to night, can imagine the odd one falling over or misfiring and launching a gigantic stick of dynamite at unlucky passer-bys.. hated it, and was very happy when my departure day finally came. Agree with the above that leaving China is _by far best_, and not to HK, it’s not really ‘leaving China’ for that week as half of the mainlanders who can go do go. 😀

Here’s hoping I’m not on bail by then and can get my ass over to Laos for some tubing on the Mekong!

Participant

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. I’ve decided just to go to Beijing for a few days as I have some friends there I’d like to visit, and just hang out – flights out of China were a bit too exy, much cheaper to BJ. Though flying to Nanjing and then going to Vietnam did sound pretty cool too.

Rick – you gave me a great idea, any one else want to buy fireworks and set them off “safely”?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Rick – you gave me a great idea, any one else want to buy fireworks and set them off “safely”?

We do this every year from my roof. Anyone is welcome to join – I’ll make a post when the time comes. Last year we had a great time.

Participant

I don’t mind a good fireworks display. Or roman candle wars. Just not a fan of seeing toothy grinnin’ dudes who can’t put their jackets on properly fumbling around with thigh-high boomers on the streets I walk along. 😀 If I’m here I’d take part in picking up a few and joining the light-off.

Actually I’ve got a pretty good view along the jinjiang river from my place also and could use the roof up top, here’s the view..

DSC_0152.jpg

Participant

Awesome, I love fireworks. They are banned in Australia, some damn idiot kids blew up their faces or something and spoiled all the fun. Or was it drunk Aussie adults? Who knows…. anyway sounds fun!

Participant

Nice pimpin view.

@ Charlie, have you been to Laos? I just want to know some details on how to go there.

Participant

Tina, check youtube or google “horrific fireworks accidents” and you may see why. i dig fun too, but when i see little 5 year-old Johhnie here bent over a malfunctioning firecracker, i have to look away….too scary (and i don’t even like kids)

Participant

Tina, check youtube or google “horrific fireworks accidents” and you may see why. i dig fun too, but when i see little 5 year-old Johhnie here bent over a malfunctioning firecracker, i have to look away….too scary (and i don’t even like kids)

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @ Charlie, have you been to Laos? I just want to know some details on how to go there.

Yes, several times. You have several options:

– Fly to Bangkok and take the train to Nong Khai (on the Laos border) and cross over. Trains in Thailand are great and this is my preferred method

– Fly from Kunming to Vientiane, the Laos capital. As of a few years ago, there wasn’t a direct flight from Chengdu so you’ll have to fly or take a train to Kunming

– Overland to Laos through Kunming. The bus is relatively brutal depending on what time of day you’re traveling, but they have sleeper buses down there. The real downside is that once you get into Laos (after the bus journey) it’s all buses again since Laos doesn’t have a developed transportation system.

You can also mix/match these, what I did several times was overland into Laos, travel south through the country and then fly out of Vientiane at the south into Kunming to catch a connecting flight to Chengdu. Laos is great though, I love that place. If you stop in Vang Vieng (the tubing village on the Mekong), you can say what’s up to a good friend that I know living and doing business there (he owns the biggest internet bar in the city). He’s Singaporean, speaks Chinese, and emails me every few months to see how Chengdu is.

Keymaster
    Quote:

Yes, several times. You have several options:

– Fly to Bangkok and take the train to Nong Khai (on the Laos border) and cross over. Trains in Thailand are great and this is my preferred method

– Fly from Kunming to Vientiane, the Laos capital. As of a few years ago, there wasn’t a direct flight from Chengdu so you’ll have to fly or take a train to Kunming

– Overland to Laos through Kunming. The bus is relatively brutal depending on what time of day you’re traveling, but they have sleeper buses down there. The real downside is that once you get into Laos (after the bus journey) it’s all buses again since Laos doesn’t have a developed transportation system.

You can also mix/match these, what I did several times was overland into Laos, travel south through the country and then fly out of Vientiane at the south into Kunming to catch a connecting flight to Chengdu. Laos is great though, I love that place. If you stop in Vang Vieng (the tubing village on the Mekong), you can say what’s up to a good friend that I know living and doing business there (he owns the biggest internet bar in the city). He’s Singaporean, speaks Chinese, and emails me every few months to see how Chengdu is.

Fireworks were a blast last year, literally. Charlie & I loaded up with a stack of fireworks, then nearly blew everyone to bits when two tame looking demons exploded repeatedly just feet away from everyone up on the roof. Seeing everyone run for cover was hilarious!

Tina, I’m in Beijing myself for the week of Spring Festival. Should be quieter, and I’m looking forward to getting my culture fix while I’m there. Let me know if you confirm.

Fireworks were a blast last year, literally. Charlie & I loaded up with a stack of fireworks, then nearly blew everyone to bits when two tame looking demons exploded repeatedly just feet away from everyone up on the roof. Seeing everyone run for cover was hilarious!

Tina, I’m in Beijing myself for the week of Spring Festival. Should be quieter, and I’m looking forward to getting my culture fix while I’m there. Let me know if you confirm.

Participant

Brendan – lol, def up for hilariously sadistic firework fun. Beijing confirmed. I’ll be staying in the houhai area, if you’re around…

Participant

Brendan – lol, def up for hilariously sadistic firework fun. Beijing confirmed. I’ll be staying in the houhai area, if you’re around…

@linka999, how do you travel to Vietnam from Nanning? Direct flight? Or by train?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.