The Best Coffee in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionThe Best Coffee in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author

Awesome. I really enjoy the coffee at Kaffe Stugans. I’m paying too much to keep the office stocked with Starbucks beans.

Does anyone know how to say the different grades of ground beans in Chinese? (fine, medium, coarse). I asked Starbucks to grind my beans earlier today and the girl looked at me like I was an alien. She asked how I wanted them ground. I said,”中…中号… 中点… 中间的.”

Ok, I understand I may not be using the correct terminology, but can’t you figure it out?

Participant
    Quote:
    Does anyone know how to say the different grades of ground beans in Chinese? (fine, medium, coarse). I asked Starbucks to grind my beans earlier today and the girl looked at me like I was an alien. She asked how I wanted them ground. I said,”中…中号… 中点… 中间的.”

Ok, I understand I may not be using the correct terminology, but can’t you figure it out?

I’ve no idea but as I’m in Starbucks right now I can ask if nobody else knows? 🙂

Quote:
    Does anyone know how to say the different grades of ground beans in Chinese?

Their grinders have numbered settings, so you can just ask for whatever grade you want numerically. If you’re using a drip/cafetiere, a setting of 3/4 respectively will get you what you’re after if memory serves.

I’ve personally gone behind the counter in Starbucks before now and set it for them in the same situation. 😀

Keymaster
    Quote:
    In order to secure the freshness and a price as low as possible it will be a sort of subscription since we want to offer coffee beans as fresh as when we drip the coffee here at Kaffestugan.

That is a great idea, a subscription service makes sense for you and for customers. Some of my friends in the US use Tonx and love it.

Quote:
    I’ve no idea but as I’m in Starbucks right now I can ask if nobody else knows? 🙂

Did you end up asking? I have no idea how to say this either.

Quote:
    Awesome. I really enjoy the coffee at Kaffe Stugans. I’m paying too much to keep the office stocked with Starbucks beans.

That sounds expensive – is it worth it? I have Yunnan, Italian, and Papua New Guinea (courtesy of Kafe Stugan) beans at home. Feeling pretty luxurious having those options when I wake up! I only drank Yunnan beans for months aside from visiting Kafe Stugan on weekends.

Starbucks charges 100RMB 左右 for 250g bags. I’m not a coffee connoisseur, but I think their beans are not bad.

Quote:
    Starbucks charges 100RMB 左右 for 250g bags. I’m not a coffee connoisseur, but I think their beans are not bad.

Definitely high priced, even at the 85 RMB they’re charging for some 250g bags. I do like their ‘Cafe Verona’, it’s a good bold roast, but I stopped buying their beans a while ago after finding a roaster in Chengdu.

Keymaster

Just wanted to say, I went back to Kaffe Stugan for the first time in a few months last Sunday and got some great coffee. I spoke to a few friends and they didn’t realize that Kaffe Stugan was open again, so yes, it’s open! I spoke to Daniel and he said they’re still going to do the coffee bean subscription program that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Really looking forward to that.

Participant

You can find bag of 500g grounded yunnan coffee around 50 kuai and quality still to be good… believe an italian coffee man 😉

Participant

I get yunnan coffee for 23 kuai at sabrina’s. Its decent

Participant

…you can find many type of yunnan coffee  and quality is different, anyway checkout here:

http://item.jd.com/1006742289.html

I usually buy double bag and I have 1Kg of good coffee for 77 kuai…

http://item.jd.com/1007242966.html

Keymaster

I get yunnan coffee for 23 kuai at sabrina’s. Its decent

That’s probably the best value coffee that I’ve found in Chengdu, I’ve been getting Yunnan coffee at Sabrina’s for years. Over the last year or so I’ve been getting smaller amounts of coffee on Taobao just to sample different types of beans, but Yunnan coffee is good, cheap stuff.

Participant

fine grinding 细磨;精细研磨(细)

medium grinding 中等研磨(中等)

coarse grinding 粗磨(粗)

fine grinding 细磨;精细研磨(细)

medium grinding 中等研磨(中等)

coarse grinding 粗磨(粗)

Bump and grind 凹凸和磨

Participant

fine grinding 细磨;精细研磨(细) medium grinding 中等研磨(中等) coarse grinding 粗磨(粗)

Bump and grind 凹凸和磨

Bump and grind 扭屁股跳舞

Participant

This thread has been a wild read on my Monday afternoon.

Best part about it was that I had just finished pouring the hot water into my cup of Maxwell House instant coffee, and by “cup” i mean measuring cup.

For anyone wondering, 25 capsules of Maxwell House instant coffee is aabout 32 kuai. The Measuring Cup came with my apartment, so I can’t say. The lack of self-respect, though, that is something that you must foster over time.

Charlie man I have to get on your coffee game.

Participant

@Zak:when you start drinking KFC brew and tell yourself “actually, this ain’t too bad”, you are on the downward spiral in the express lane….

Keymaster

Charlie man I have to get on your coffee game.

It’s cheap to assemble all the pieces but once you get into the habit of preparing coffee in this way, it’s very easy. Since I made this thread I added a few pieces, like a digital thermometer for measuring water temperature and electric kettle. I find that 170f works best. I found this bean vendor on Taobao: Fisher Coffee and they have sample packs of different bean varieties. It’s fun to try different ones and discover what kind of coffee suits you.

For anyone wondering, 25 capsules of Maxwell House instant coffee is aabout 32 kuai. The Measuring Cup came with my apartment, so I can’t say. The lack of self-respect, though, that is something that you must foster over time.

hahahaha

Participant

I’ve recently got some resonablly decent yunnan beans off the internet at around 20kuai per bag. A bargain it is , but coffee from yunnan are not that stablized, both flavor& quality wise.

I prefer illy’s which is not that expensive considering the quality. I got it from a bejing based vendor at a discont price for less than 80 kuai a can. which is 30 cheaper than walmart.

Participant

Ah, the memories this thread brings up…

Daniel from former Kaffestugan 🙂

Enjoy your coffees !

Daniel

Participant

Well if this thread is resurfacing again anyhow, might as well add:

There is a tiny little artisan-style coffee shop (the kind that should be pretty familiar to urban Westerners by now) near the Blue Caribbean Plaza just off of Kehua North (科华北路). It is called “Jason’s Coffee” (杰森咖啡烧烘工坊) and is run by a young Chinese guy. They roast many different beans on site, and offer them for sale at 70RMB for 250g or so. I highly recommend buying their beans: freshly roasted and many varieties to choose from. (There is some outdoor seating for sitting and sipping too, but it’s a small place.)

It is on Kehua Jie (科华街), about half a block in from Kehua North, on the left side of the street if you’re walking towards the river. Look for a sign in English and Chinese on the second level, white background, black lettering.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.