The Cycling Thread

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionThe Cycling Thread

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Horac. Sounds good, definitely bring your stumpy back with you if/when you come back. I ride a Transition Covert, 150mm in the back and a Fox 36 Van up front. There is nothing requiring a DH bike but most of the trails are pretty steep and rough, nothing purpose built for bikes, so something a little slacker is nice. Any of the 120-160mm travel trail bikes would be good.

Will keep my eye out for any kind of rental shop.

Participant

Hi Horac. Sounds good, definitely bring your stumpy back with you if/when you come back. I ride a Transition Covert, 150mm in the back and a Fox 36 Van up front. There is nothing requiring a DH bike but most of the trails are pretty steep and rough, nothing purpose built for bikes, so something a little slacker is nice. Any of the 120-160mm travel trail bikes would be good.

Will keep my eye out for any kind of rental shop.

Participant
    Quote:
    What immovable object did you lock your bike to?

Does ‘Nothing’ count?

I had been warned that bike thievery was rife in China but didn’t think that they would be so bold to steal it with the wheel lock, in broad daylight and in an area where I am pretty much the only Westener (bar my girlfriend).

At least I know that the rule I use back in the UK of having a D-lock will also, and especially, apply here in China. Learned the hard way, but at least I’ve learnt.

Participant
    Quote:
    What immovable object did you lock your bike to?

Does ‘Nothing’ count?

I had been warned that bike thievery was rife in China but didn’t think that they would be so bold to steal it with the wheel lock, in broad daylight and in an area where I am pretty much the only Westener (bar my girlfriend).

At least I know that the rule I use back in the UK of having a D-lock will also, and especially, apply here in China. Learned the hard way, but at least I’ve learnt.

Participant

What’s a good frame size if you are about 1m92/6ft4 tall?

Taobao shop trying to sell me an 18inch MTB with 26inch wheels. Isn’t that way too small for me? That’s like medium sized, no?

Charlie? What bike size do u have?

Participant

Height Mountain/Hybrid Size Road Size

<5’2” 13/14 43/47

5’3” 13/15 47/50

5’6” 16/18 50/52/54

5’9” 18/19 52/54/56

5’11” 19/21 54/56/58

6’2” 21/23 56/58/60

6’3” 23/25 58/60/62

6’4” 25 60/62

i used this chart before i bought my mountain bike and it fits pretty good

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Charlie? What bike size do u have?

My old bike was 60cm, my new one is 62cm.

Participant

18in. is way too small. I’m 5’11” and would ride something about that size.

Quick comment on sizing. May be obvious but in case not, road bikes are measured in centimeters and mountain bikes in inches as well as having different geometries so that 60/62 size won’t translate directly to a mountain bike. Also that measurement is from the bottom bracket (the spot where the pedals turn around) to the top of the seat tube (the tube going straight up from there). This means that this measurement doesn’t really measure the important fit which is reach (how long the front of the bike is).

This is why most modern mountain bikes have the number sizing thrown out in favor or s/m/l/xl type of labeling. Also why companies post all of the measurements in the catalogs/websites. That said if you are just buying a cheap hardtail you can rely on the old number sizing as those bikes haven’t changed too much. For someone of your size you will probably just want to by the biggest bike you can get 🙂 23in. is usually the biggest for a mountain bike.

If you are buying something more expensive, full suspension, do some googling about big guys buying bikes and maybe go try to do a test ride, probably really hard in China though.

Participant

Thanks guys really helpful info.

Only I can’t seem to find a single bike my size on taobao :/ Simply no results. I’m not looking to buy the bike of my life, just something simple (1500-2000元) and cheaper than the Giant store.

Maybe I should try a different search term than “23寸自行车”? Any tips?

And the only road bikes I can find in 58cm+ size are models that cost over 10k.

Have you asked for a quote from Natooke?

Quote:

Participant

Vincent, I’m 6 foot 3″ and ride a 19″ MTB. It’s not ideal (21″ would be better) but its fine. If you can get an extended seat pole that’s gonna help too….

Participant

Natooke? I thought they only did fixies?

Participant
    Quote:
    Natooke? I thought they only did fixies?

We do fixed gear, single speed, and internally geared city bikes as well as trick bikes or conversions. Frame sizes range from 44cm through 66cm and are available in 7 different frame types/geometries made of aluminum (aluminium), steel, and carbon. We also do fully custom frames (ie, every tube length customized for body type) that can be done in all sorts of aluminum and steel alloys or tubing types.

We have a lot at our disposal in terms of frames, forks, components, etc. so, with the exception of traditional geared road and mountain bikes, we can make bikes ideal for nearly any body type that are perfect for romping around the city or beyond.

Does anyone know of a good shop to buy bike shorts and bike gloves? Those are the only items I need.

I went to a Giant store the other day near Sichuan University…but their women’s section (and clothing too, for that matter) was extremely limited.

Thanks!

Participant

I got all my gear from DECATHLON beside ikea they have a pretty big selection of outdoor clothes and biking gear

Participant

Article in The Guardian: How China Fell in Love with Fixies

Keymaster

I heard last night that there will be a total of nine fixed gear shops in Chengdu this year. I don’t think the Chengdu cycling community can support that many actual shops, but it’s cool to see an alternative to cars grow in popularity so rapidly.

The shit talk in the comments is hilarious…

Are you sure? What is the difference in “energy transfer” between a fixed hub and a freewheel hub going forward?

Who fucking cares internet!? Shut up and ride. Or don’t, we don’t care.

Participant

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.