Tippa Irie – Sun. 2nd March – Here We Go

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTippa Irie – Sun. 2nd March – Here We Go

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

UK  Reggae Dancehall legend Tippa Irie and his selecta JB Bakers will be coming to Chengdu on Sunday March 2nd.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Advanced tickets priced at 50元 (includes a free shot) available from Hakka Bar, Beer Nest Jah Bar, Morning Bar, Hemp House, Lan Town, The Spot and Here We Go. Online tickets available at ZaoMengShe

Participant

Charlie, Could you possibly merge Shinichi’s thread with this one?

Please note – March 2nd not March 3rd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVbhOZjSuic

Participant

Oh man, excited about this. Tough to get a danchehall/ragga fix in Chengdu (does any dj play it?). Still have fond memories of Daddy Freddy/The Bug a few years ago. To my mind, still the best gig i’ve seen in Chengdu…

Participant

Oh man, excited about this. Tough to get a danchehall/ragga fix in Chengdu (does any dj play it?). Still have fond memories of Daddy Freddy/The Bug a few years ago. To my mind, still the best gig i’ve seen in Chengdu…

The Bug’s new album is due out soon. Really looking forward to hearing it. Think he only released 1 EP last year.

Quite a few Tippa Irie tracks on youku

Participant

Just been listening to this Tippa Irie special on Kane FM, talking about early sound systems, growing up in Brixton and how the Black Eyed Peas thing came about.

Spends the last 10 minutes freestylin over riddims – pure class. So chuffed he’s coming thru to the dirty du 🙂

Keymaster

Charlie, Could you possibly merge Shinichi’s thread with this one? Please note – March 2nd not March 3rd

Yup, I just went ahead and deleted the other thread, it was basically all gibberish.

I can say with confidence that no one in Chengdu is playing that… Dave and Andy play reggae sometimes and Jovian and I do as well, but there are no real reggae DJs around, per se. Those kind of DJs are rare in general though, I think only a few geographic regions enjoy dancehall/ragga popularity (LA is one, there are easily dozens of ragga DJs there).

Participant

I AGREE ditto, that’s right! Chengdu no real reggae DJs

Participant

A mate of mine is thinking about starting a monthly dancehall night. Looks like there might be some interest in it?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Participant

I’d be up for it. Was lucky enough to catch Capelton (many) years ago at Brixton Academy. Came on stage 2 hours late (apparently pretty common for him) but he killed it. That cat has swagger to burn! 🙂

Participant

I’d be up for it.

I think Fiete is interested too. Let’s make it happen!

Participant

Two of the big names here: Sizzla and Capelton. Classic track.

Participant

Looks like dancehall night is picking up momentum, I knew this was a goer Andy.

Participant

1984 BBC documentary clip of a young Tippa with Daddy Colonel

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjcwNzYzNTc2.html

Participant
    Participant

Looking forward to Tippa Irie and some good times skanking Reggae this Sunday. Just watched these lovely videos of Tippa Irie’s classic “Hello Darling”:
    Original music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZR_47QHPFs

“Live” version on TopPop (Top of the Pops?!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIYl40WNrvs

Both videos have that very unique 80ies Charm. Some 30 years ago… Nice UK Reggae vibes…!

Nice video with Tippa Irie at the Boiler Room with legend Rodigan…!

Participant

I remember a few years back Shanghai’s Uprooted Sound System bringing Clive Chin through to the Hemp House on a Thursday night. They packed the place out which was pretty surprising considering the venue was twice the size as it is now and the weather wasn’t brilliant. Even though the main reason I went through was to see Clive Chin toasting the crowd in Chengdu (and to have the chance to listen to decent reggae and dancehall tunes) the thing I most remember most from the night was the wicked atmosphere, an amazing Chinese female MC named Cha Cha and loads of people I hadn’t seen for ages with big smiles on their faces. I know Charlie played some tunes that night, was anyone else there? Good times.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

I remember that live show, that time Hemp house was a lot like Reggae Bar.

Participant

This is tonight ! ! Can’t wait. Apparently this was amazing in Shanghai last night.

Gonna be a bashment dance

Participant

Oooft. What a night!

Anyone else struggling this morning?

Keymaster

Oooft. What a night! Anyone else struggling this morning?

I intentionally took it easy last night knowing that Monday is always the longest day of the week for me, but great performance last night. I had never seen Tippa Irie, nor heard of him before news of this show broke, but he was really good. A few notes in particular:

• The sound was on point and everything sounded good, thanks Andy and Dave for getting that straight!
    • He’s a really good performer, amazing timing and rhythm
    • There was A LOT of sing a long material – he asked the crowd to say yeah at least 20 times! But the interaction was good and people were responding
    • The music was pretty varied. Aside from playing many different kinds of reggae (dub, dancehall, skank) he also did some drum & bass which I really enjoyed
    • Any chance you guys recorded this set? I thought one track in particular was fire, I thought it was “I’m a Rebel” since that was the chorus but it was not this song:

Edit: found it, it’s this song produced by Mad Professor:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.