What do you enjoy about living in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhat do you enjoy about living in Chengdu?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I’ve been reading some other China expat forums around the web, and am getting a little… apprehensive(?) about moving there (even though I won’t be coming until August). One of the forums.. all they do is bitch and whine and moan about how bad it is in China; how they ignore the locals, and many even ignore the other foreigners; how they feel they can’t report anything to the police (a rape, a break-in) for fear they will get beat up or deported; how their students, and the parents, and the locals on the street treat them like dancing monkeys; how disgusting it is when they come across someone shitting or pissing on the sidewalk in front of them. And the list of negativity goes on. They seem very sequestered, secluded.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s just them. I’ve been reading everything I can on the web – every article, every opinion, every travel blog… and most say how friendly and kind and helpful the Chinese people are. I can’t imagine anyone choosing to stay if they don’t have to.

Don’t get me wrong. I know China is full of issues, and some things are backwards, and it’s a different culture, different politics, different ways of handling things. I’m not delusional. I don’t think. It can’t be as bad as they are letting me believe.

I’ve read a lot of old posts on this forum, and they all seem way more positive. So tell me… why do you choose to live in Chengdu?

Thank you 🙂

I would think that most expats that have settled down and enjoy Chengdu could also live in most other places. It takes a somewhat adventurous, curious, outgoing, open-minded personality to make the transition from the Western world to a developing city (in a developing country) like Chengdu. The cooler people that I’ve met here have at least that in common. Most likely, the people with negative comments have the opposite personality type.

I’ve taken small doses of China in the past, so living in Chengdu hasn’t been that much of a culture shock. I understand that this is a completely different world and that in order to not hate my life here, or rather to love my life here, I have to be accepting and adapt in some ways. Sure there is a list of things that annoy me: mosquitoes, the filth inside and out, the weather, general lack of courtesy, backwards business culture, lack of certainty, the language barrier, etc. I mean… I’m currently living in a college dorm with a cement floor, communal squat toilets, and no A/C. I bathe out of a fucking bucket. Most people would say I have it bad (haha understatement?). But whatever, tens of thousands of people on my campus alone live like this or are worse off. I don’t think that I’m entitled to western luxuries just because I have an American passport. (I’m planning on finding a nice apt by spring though)

My point is, it’s challenging adapting to a new life here and I like challenges. I wouldn’t even say that I’m that adventurous, but I like the new.

Why Chengdu in particular? Shanghai would also be tight, but it’s already developed and has way too many people, too many foreigners. Beijing has too many foreigners. I wanted to make sure that I had a good mix of local friends to get a better taste of the culture. Also, your value as a foreigner is higher at least in teaching relative to SH, BJ. There are lots of opportunities. Chengdu is exciting because of its rapid growth. Sichuan has it’s own unique culture. I like spicy food. It’s close to other places that I’d like to visit ie Tibet, Yunnan, SE Asia. Also, I got hooked up with the job. Got tired of looking for a job in the states and didn’t want to the 9-5 grind rat race. The locals here are actually relatively nice people.

My opinion means shit though because I’ve only been here a month. Almost everyone else here is a vet compared to me lol.

tl;dr the whiners are just a bunch of bitches. CD has flavor, lots of opportunity here, good food. I live in a shithole, but don’t give a fuck.

Keymaster

There are many different ways to experience China. Some hate it, some love it, and there’s everything in between. It’s not for everyone, that’s for sure. I feel pretty good about the fact that most of the foreigners that I associate with engage China in a meaningful way: embracing the language, culture, and so on. We could certainly all just go back to our home countries, but I think that prospect is boring to a lot of people living here.

Life in China is also adventurous because the cultural and literal landscape is changing right around us. How many other places in the world can you experience that? For example: five years ago there was virtually no real nightlife culture in Chengdu to speak of and last night we hosted DJ Shadow. It’s exciting to witness and participate in this incredible transformation.

Or, you (or the people you read about) might be those that don’t really take interest in any of this and would trade it all for a normal job in a familiar environment. Like I said, it’s not for everyone.

I apologize for posting this.. really I do. I tried to figure out how to delete it. I was so disgruntled and pissy after reading that other forum, and it’s been building. I am very excited about the opportunity to come there, and they were just killing it. I’m very friendly and outgoing and I love new experiences and adventure and living outside of my comfort zone. I love to see growth and change around me, and within myself. I have a great job here, and am taking a year sabbatical to do this. And now I feel like I’ve whined to you all.. so Imma shup 😉

But Charlie and Zilch, thank you for your responses. 🙂

Participant

chengdu is definitely a good city because it strikes that balance between having enough “western amenities” to be comfortable but still not the kind of place where you can live the exact same lifestyle as you did back home, which i think are more true of beijing and shanghai, or a lot of the wealthier cities on the east coast. i’ve lived in both kunming and hangzhou before and found there were things missing – one was way too smalltown, the other super wanky. i’ve found chengdu suits me pretty perfectly – weather sucks but the people are great, the food is fantastic and it’s an amazing place to party.

you’ve just gotta think about what’s important to you – is it weather, convenience for travel, foreigner-friendly stuff, cost of living etc etc.

the whiners are usually child support payment-avoiding dickfaces who show up drunk to their weekend classes teaching 8 year olds, can only get laid at pink light palaces and end up at the shamrock on a tuesday night complaining to their fat 60-year old drinking buddies about how much they hate chinese people.

if you’re aren’t a) a bitter alco, b) an obese old guy w/ penchant for 18-year old chinese golddiggas or c) running from the law back home then chances are, china might be OK for you!

@HugAPanda: don’t apologize, you’re stating common apprehensions about coming here, but I would say stop reading forums that tend to have a negative thread to them. Be informed, not clouded! I think the posts above have covered the questions you have, the experience of coming here really has to be a personal one. I’ve been here almost a year now, and have already had to face tremendous challenges in adapting to how things are done here, particularly in business. Coming to Chengdu was and is a huge gamble for me, but the risks pale in comparison to the searing boredom I was experiencing back in Canada, so I opted for the challenge of placing myself in an unknown environment. Everyone who can travel, should travel. Nothing broadens your horizons in the same way, and the experiences you have will stay with you for life. You’re also only talking about a year, so quit worrying about the what if’s, and turn your thoughts to all the things you’ll be able to experience here that you absolutely would not be able to in your current environment.

Life as experience is a life well lived. Good luck to you on your future adventures!!

Participant

I just love how kids just take a dump in a drain…. I mean, its VERY sanitary to do so… Everytime i get a small glimpes, i get the great sensation of my previous lunch about to re-emerge from where the oriface it came from, and then my entire body turns blue….

Other than that, i love noodles! heh.

@Brendan.. I ditched the whiners Friday. Thanks 🙂

@Jerry… ugh! haha

@love… the more I read about Chengdu, the more convinced I am that it is the place for me. THEN I found the Chengdu Panda research base (I was planning on a trip to Wolong before that) and knew Chengdu was meant to be 😉

Keymaster

Chengdu is a great place if you approach it with the will to discover and enjoy the great things it has to offer. Sometimes it’ll get you down, that’s what the China Blues is all about, but overall it’s an exciting place to live.

Participant

I would agree with Charlie. Everybody gets the China blues, (or China rage). Dont feel that you’re bad or a “China basher”, just find an outlet to deal with it. I’ve seen the calmest, most chilled guys here (a good friend almost got deported) absolutely lose it, and I’m no exception. Have a sense of humour and laugh at some of the crazy, infuriating, mindless shit (like the car downstairs who’s been siiting on his horn for eternity as i right this). Maybe I’ll throw an egg down there. Some harmless holiday fun. Whatever gets you thru the day!

PS: if you’re staying long-term a pet works wonders for stress relief. My little guy, when he’s not puking at the foot of the bed, keeps me sane….

Participant

Chengdu is ‘relaxed.’ Thats the feeling i get. I mean, the reputation that Chengdu has is that everyone enjoys their lives. There was a photo of an Apple worker that was shown as ‘dead,’ with her head on the table. The US went ballistic on this notion. But the real meaning was that she as on her break and was taking a nap, as all those who takes their break do, a little nap time.

Heck even the dogs dont bark at you, the city is ‘relaxed.’ But just been here for a few days, cant really understand all that much from that.

Also the apt complex will shape your understanding. My complex is gerat, i mean.. Its WONDERFUL! Never had anything like this ever. Still lots to explore, thankfully its the holiday week, its something to cherrish.. then its work from here on out.

I am wonderig, there are tons of dogs roaming the streets, can i pick up a stray dog and say hes mines? I mean hes is already docile, and prob knows how to use the bathroom. There are tons of dogs roaming the out-skirts of CD.

I wouldn’t be in a hurry to make a pet out of a stray… God knows what they might be carrying!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I wouldn’t be in a hurry to make a pet out of a stray… God knows what they might be carrying!

Seriously, I did this once and you have to make sure that you get shots and everything at a vet before you bring it into your house. Don’t mess around with that, it’ll get you and whoever else in your house sick.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.