Where to connect with other foreigners

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhere to connect with other foreigners

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I just moved to Chengdu, and I live way out in the Hi-Tech zone:( It’s very isolated in terms of social interactions and accessibility. I have found the Bookworm, but would like to meet some friends, learn the city some and gather some useful tips to integrate into the community from foreigners who can relate. Any tips would be appreciated:) Or, just some people to chat or meet up with would be sweet too! Thanks!

hi, welcome to Chengdu. I got no idea whether there is any kind of foreigner’s gatherings or not here in chengdu. I have been in Chengdu for almost 7 months. I guess going to the bars are the only way how you meet other Lawais, at least in my case tha is how I met people. Good luck.

Participant

The Pug reopens on the 18th. If you like, you can go there and i beleive many people from this forum will be there, i will be.

You can try the ‘Shamrock.’ But bring pepper spray for insurance.

Bookworms is good.

If you are a night owl; Jellyfish, Pan-Am and the DJ events that are posted here. CC is a good club too, its the typical Chinese loud music and electric stimuli that the peoples like. Though i NEVER once paid anything to the CC club. Not sure how that place is still in operation, none of my friends hardly pay for crap there.

Participant

Err… Might want to scratch Jellyfish.

Thanks. I’m open to anything!

I’m not just looking for foreigners, I just was interested in finding people to socialize with and introduce me to living in Chengdu:) Maybe my post came out wrong, oops.

I think one of my challenges is that I’m located just outside of the 3rd ring!! Swanky digs, but super far from city life.

Hope to see some of ya’ll around!!

Hi Valerie,

That is not really outside of downtown. I live further south which is almost 50 minutes drive from downtown. We could meet sometime for a coffee or a meal. Have a good day.

Keymaster

Have you lived in China before coming to Chengdu?

Here are the places I would check out:

– Little Bar (Yulin)

– Elephant Bar (Yulin)

– Blue Caribbean Plaza (Kehua Beilu – it’s cheesy but lots of foreigners)

– Xiong Mao (East Music Park – weekends)

– The Lazy Pug & Cafe Stugan

I work in the software part at the southernmost stop, any further south than that and it gets real inconvenient! Third ring road isn’t that bad though.

Participant

hi.i am a native speaker .female.i love making friends with foreigners.male or female is ok.by the way ,i have some foreign friends now.if you need some help in life ,dont hesitate to ask me for help.maybe i can help u a little bit.

Participant

@ Valerie, I agree it can be a little bit of a strain when you first arrive. and I imagine where you are feels out of it depending what you’re used to.

For accessibility I’d suggest:

if you haven’t already got a travel card, I’d get one. I found taxis can sometimes be harder to get out of downtown.

You must know the metro already, to go north? you can easily transfer to many buses east or west at nijiaqiao or sichuan gymnasium.

use baidu to find routes from where you are. if you’re not sure how to type the names of places just move the arrows around on this link:

http://j.map.baidu.com/_uWyu

if you have a smartphone there’s a app for that too.

interactions:

Like moving to any new town maybe try common interests, there enough in Chengdu now to support most circles, off the top of my head there’s tennis – or any sport, photography, hiking, whiskey, coffee!, writing, DJ’ing, caving, I’m sure the list goes on plenty. or ask on here for people who are interested in something you like.

I’d also say acquire the taste for hotpot, it’s socially crippling to not be able to share 🙂

If you’re interested in getting out of town to do some pretty easy hiking, PM me, you’d be welcome to join our small group.

Participant

@Brave chengdu

I like some pretty easy hiking, can i joining your group next time??

🙂

Participant

wait 18th!? i thought pug was 15!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    wait 18th!? i thought pug was 15!

It is the 15th according to the Lazy Pug website.

Participant

also the chalkboard outside… but its the 18th?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    also the chalkboard outside… but its the 18th?

Here’s an email that Dana (owner of the Pug) sent to me last month:

The Lazy Pug will be closed from Thursday, July 5th until Tuesday, August 14th for construction. We will re-open on Wednesday, August 15th!

Participant

Alright cool. I blame Jerry.

Quote:
    The Pug reopens on the 18th. If you like, you can go there and i beleive many people from this forum will be there, i will be.

Participant

Could have sworn it was the 18th. Meh, i guess i remembered wrong when T said 18th. So 15th it is then.

Thanks guys!! I’m overwhelmed with info, but I’ll get it.

Yes, metro check, but haven’t found out how to get a card??

Love hiking, lived in Alaska for 6 years and did many hikes. I definitely want to check out whatever I can!

I’ve been wanting to try out hotpot, but finding people to venture out with is my challenge.

Also, I just got wifi hooked up, so I’m researching “how to’s”.

Anyone know of yoga in chengdu??

Hi Valerie let me know I want to do yoga class too. Arriving end of August

Participant

Hi! I’m working in the Hi-tech zone which is called TianFu Software Park, our company got a yoga club, but it’s just internal. I’d like to riding bike, MTB, There’s so many riding activities in chengdu every week, every day, if you like you could join us, also you could go swim…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hi! I’m working in the Hi-tech zone which is called TianFu Software Park, our company got a yoga club, but it’s just internal. I’d like to riding bike, MTB, There’s so many riding activities in chengdu every week, every day, if you like you could join us, also you could go swim…

Hi Kale,

I work in the software park also (A5) and go to the QSL gym next door – is that where you do yoga, or do you go somewhere else? I haven’t found a pool nearby but it would be great to have one.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.