Will I be able to use Facebook / Gmail in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWill I be able to use Facebook / Gmail in Chengdu?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Just wondering, will I be able use facebook and gmail as normal when I arrive? I’ve heard they are banned in China, but I see that some venues in Chengdu have a gmail address… And some say that there are ways around using it and Facebook so I’m just not sure!!

Participant

Gmail works fine! Check this article for how to access FB and YT.

Participant

Sound as a pound Vincent 🙂 . While I have you, I’m trying to get a profile picture up but when I go to edit profile i doesn’t give me the option to upload a picture. Am I looking in the right place?

This still needs fixing. PM Charlie a reminder! 😉

Keymaster

Yup, I’m re-adding that feature to the profile control panel. When it’s done I’ll make a post notifying everyone. In the meantime you can get it working my registering and uploading an avatar at Gravatar.

Participant

Deadly stuff, thanks a mill Charlie too!!

Participant

Not sure on this, but can someone confirm it for me. So its possible to update facebook in China? I have a new bud, whos an Expat, that was unable to update status in FB, read messages and others. Just able to see the interface of it. Can someone confirm?

there’s an article about this

Quote:
    Check this article for how to access FB and YT.

I use GoTrusted VPN for $5/mo. It still sucks because internet access to sites based in the US is dramatically slower and unreliable.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Not sure on this, but can someone confirm it for me. So its possible to update facebook in China? I have a new bud, whos an Expat, that was unable to update status in FB, read messages and others. Just able to see the interface of it. Can someone confirm?

You can’t access Facebook from China at all without a VPN. Unfortunately it’s pretty tough to find a reliable VPN that works day in and day out. I used to use Freedur (and gave away dozens of accounts on Chengdu Living) but when the founder moved onto the next project and charged someone else with running it, the quality and reliability plummeted. These days I hear that Strong VPN offers the best service although it’s not as cheap as some alternatives.

In my opinion a VPN is pretty necessary for any foreigner in China since Google works about half the time without a VPN. Same deal with Gmail, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t without a VPN. The only way to have constant access to everything on the internet is with a VPN.

Participant

I hav STRONG VPN. Yet i was unable to log onto FB. Can someoen check on their system. The internet providers are Great Wall. If not, then ill get China Telecom to be my provider.

Keymaster

You sound pretty confused. If you can connect to the internet but the proxy isn’t working (can’t access Facebook), you should contact StrongVPN for help. Great Wall kinda sucks so you probably will want to switch to Telecom anyway, but that probably isn’t making a difference here.

Participant

Cool. By the by….. this forum is so helpful. I was shitting it about moving over so it’s great that there’s a place to ask for advise and just bounce stuff off of eachother.

Participant

Jerry, an easy way to see if your VPN is working is to go to TraceMyIP.org.

It will tell your current IP, ISP, country (even down to state & city sometimes.) If it shows China then your VPN isn’t connected and working properly.

Participant

I’m probably asking a stupid question… but how does VPN Strong work and where does one get it?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m probably asking a stupid question… but how does VPN Strong work and where does one get it?

Their website explains everything: StrongVPN

strongvpn.com is blocked in China. For those reading this from within the country you can access their site via this alternative address.

On a side note the android marketplace, gmail and gtalk applications have all been blocked from android handsets as of the beginning of this month. You’ll need to use a VPN to access them if you use android.

Keymaster

Thanks for pointing that out Ben, I didn’t realize that StrongVPN had been blocked.

Gmail still works in the Mail app on iPhone, I pray that doesn’t get blocked because that will be a major inconvenience…

Participant

Most of you are probably well aware of this, but I’m gonna post it anyway 🙂 It’s also possible to use your VPN account on your iPhone. (Check with your VPN provider on how to set it up)

Combine it with the VPN toggle button in SBSettings and your VPN access is just 1 swipe away!

Obviously if the (G)Mail app would get blocked your mails wouldn’t work with Push notification anymore, so that’d be kind of lame.

Gmail, android marketplace and gtalk appear to be back for now. Perhaps it was a glitch with the great firewall that wasn’t fixed due to the national holiday.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.