Air Pollution Hi-Lo

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAir Pollution Hi-Lo

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Does anyone know any plant markets within the 1st or 2nd ring road? Also, how can I make sure I get the right plant species?

The plant market is at 青石桥, right next to the pet market. You can find all kinds of plants there, including the kind that cleans the air. There’s another forum thread with more information on which types are the good ones to get but I think the kind you should be looking for is hǔwěilán (虎尾兰, Tiger’s Tail Orchid).

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m not sure how well purifiers work against gasses but is that even much of a problem?

Depending on source of pollution, different gases may be released e.g. Coal will produce CO if it was burned in a closed space and little air or oxygen is present. Gases from vehicles may be produced either due to imperfect combustion or non-standard fuel. Usually gases are invisible!

I think most of the pollution here is coal-based, which purifiers will help with. I have definitely noticed a difference in the air quality in my house after having air purifier on 24/7 for the last few months.

Participant

We could hit 200 in the next few days; people returning via cars and buses, factories firing up the old chimneys again.

Wow, Urumqi (or Wulumuqi to Han Chinese)is regularly hitting the mid to high 400’s! Out in the Xinjiang desert. Must be all that yangrou chuan they cook on the streets….?

Check out http://www.air-purifier-power.com/ if you want to learn more about the different air purifiers on the market today.

The gases most prevalent in Chinese air (indoors and outdoors) include VOC’s, benzenes, ozone, and formaldehyde. These are released through car emissions, coal burning, construction, paints and decorations, and new furniture.

Regarding gases, some purifiers are specifically designed to remove gases via chemical absorption, whereas other products do not. The most effective of these filters contain activated charcoal and impregnated alumina, and you will want to pay attention to the overall volume and surface area of the chemical contents to know just how effective the air purifier will be.

Keymaster

Pollution is 77 right now! This might be the lowest I’ve seen it in Chengdu this year.

Participant

just hit 200. Sigh…..

Quote:
    just hit 200. Sigh….

Place your bets… My guess is we’ll be back in the 300’s by early next week as everyone returns to work and fires up the big wheels again.

Breathe easy folks!

Participant

One thing to consider is the location of the US embassy’s testing station. I find that some areas, such as the downtown near Chunxi Lu and the mid sections of YiHuan Lu seem to be much worse than their readings…

I’ma hedge ma bets at 300 peak for the day.

Participant

Looks like we won’t know:

Quote:
    The Consulate’s air monitor system will be undergoing technical upgrades between April 19 and May 1. During this period, 24-hour air quality readings will be temporarily suspended. This upgrade may temporarily disrupt function of third-party applications that have relied on our data feed in the past.

So the forum came and went, and all those extra Police/Security folk fell back to sleep, and pollution panda (should totally be a mascot!) is back on the rise. 179 and counting. I wonder if we won’t see a big surge next week as all the projects that were hushed into shutdown for the forum come back online.

Keymaster

So the forum came and went, and all those extra Police/Security folk fell back to sleep, and pollution panda (should totally be a mascot!) is back on the rise. 179 and counting. I wonder if we won’t see a big surge next week as all the projects that were hushed into shutdown for the forum come back online.

Back to 179 already, that was quick. At least we had a few days of incredible weather. I heard that local gov’t took pretty extreme measures to drastically reduce pollution during the forum. Pretty devious – executives come here and are fooled into thinking it’s like that all the time.

Participant

It’s pretty bad today. Seems like a yellow dust cloud has desended over Chengdu.

Participant

The yellow does not really come out in this pic. Taken at 12:30

Participant

It’s back baby get your masks out

Keymaster

It’s back baby get your masks out

Nooooo… the last 10 days or so I’ve been noticing pollution getting really high again (I get push notifications on my phone from the China Air app).

Anyone know why the pollution is suddenly so high again?

Seems like a yellow dust cloud has desended over Chengdu.

This is when you begin to give credence to the fact that a good deal of the time we would NEVER be any the wiser as to what’s really going on with pollution. I’m looking at 333 on the CN Air Q. App (it was higher earlier this morning), and outside my windows is an engulfing haze. It’s been climbing for the last few weeks again, so with the cold weather approaching I’d recommend all of you riding be rocking a mask or you’ll be sick as dogs before you know it. I’m giving serious contemplation to wearing a mask when walking outside recently, and that is nothing short of scary/bizarre.

Welcome to the future.

Keymaster

I’m giving serious contemplation to wearing a mask when walking outside recently, and that is nothing short of scary/bizarre.

Welcome to the future.

The guy who makes Totobobo masks emailed me recently after reading this post and offered to send a few of his masks to check out. I received them and they’re great, but they really give off the post-apocalyptic look and seem to freak out people on the street. Mask wearing season is back (I’ve gone like six months without wearing mine).

Participant

Participant

~~~~~~If you stay in China for a long time, then when you go back to somewhere else have a good environmental quality, Its just like superman comes to Earth!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.