Air Pollution Hi-Lo

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAir Pollution Hi-Lo

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had to skip my planned run this morning but after meeting Larry & Jacob @ Natooke yesterday, I’ll be purchasing a couple masks before too long to deal with the poor air that’s adorning our city currently.  Larry said he wears the Respro masks for running and biking, so I’ll have to give them a try. In the meantime, a treadmill and air purifier (& DVD player) may be my new friends. Anyone have interest in homemade air purifiers, PM me as I’m making a prototype currently! Also, there’s a guy in Beijing who’s selling kits (a simple fan w/a HEPA filter attached to it) for 200Y. Seems like a small but worthy investment for better indoor air quality.

http://particlecounting.tumblr.com/post/55483627230/how-to-make-a-diy-air-purifier

Participant

A cheap environmental friendly air purifier.  Snake plants (mother in laws tongue in China).  You need around ten for 1oo sq.

Keymaster

Anyone have interest in homemade air purifiers, PM me as I’m making a prototype currently! Also, there’s a guy in Beijing who’s selling kits (a simple fan w/a HEPA filter attached to it) for 200Y. Seems like a small but worthy investment for better indoor air quality.

http://particlecounting.tumblr.com/post/55483627230/how-to-make-a-diy-air-purifier

I’m interested! Can you post some info here publicly? How do you build them, what’s the cost, etc?

Participant

Participant

An elegant solution of a HEPA filter taped to a fan.

Any word on how effective these DIY ones would be? I’m pretty sure you can get everything on Taobao. For under 200.

Ian, I’m considering the plant solution. Where can I find one?

Keymaster

The planet market at Qingshiqiao (off Renmin Nanlu) is probably your best bet. Let us know if you get them there, I would be interested also. We were talking about these plants at the beginning of the year when pollution was really bad, also. Sounds like a good thing to try.

Participant

I get my plants at the market in Flower Town.  3 plants for 10rmb they are really low maintenance plants

Participant

The planet market at Qingshiqiao (off Renmin Nanlu)

You come across any second-hand Jupiters over there? [pfah, you got Dad-joked]

Participant

Ian, Callum and Charlie, I’m all for plants and will likely get some of those “Mother-in-law tongue” plants or what be their name. However, I’m not convinced (tho certainly open to some scientific studies being cited/linked to here) that these are going to really give you ‘clean air’—there’s formeldahyde, O3, SO2, NO2, PM 2.5  and the list is really endless–an EPA quote here: “Examples of toxic air pollutants include benzene, which is found in gasoline; perchloroethylene, which is emitted from some dry cleaning facilities; and methylene chloride, which is used as a solvent and paint stripper by a number of industries. Examples of other listed air toxics include dioxin, asbestos, toluene, and metals such as cadmium, mercury, chromium, and lead compounds.”

So unless plants are able to ‘take and hold’ these, I want more…The current crop of highly rated air purifiers, while being 6k-12k RMB, have a formeldahyde filter, an activated carbon/charcoal filter and a HEPA filter at minimum, or some combo of 3 filters. I’m currently designing and making a purifier that has about 1100 RMB of material costs in it, has all 3 of these filters, and will be a attractive end-table sized piece of furniture. The guys from Particlecounting.tumblr.com who I cited above, tested their 200 RMB fan and solo HEPA filter w/a  particle counting device, the industry standard way of testing effectiveness of filtering PM 2.5 and they got results on par w/the 5000 RMB models on the Chinese market, be they imported or domestically made. I don’t have the equipment to test effectiveness from the formeldahyde or activated carbon filter, but will likley get a particle counting device to test my purifier once done.

I unintentionally made it sound, previously, like this one was a DIY/homemade purifier, and while it is in one sense, if I’m happy w/the results and aesthetics I’m going to start selling them. Charlie, I didn’t reply initially w/info on the how-to/DIY info of these as it’s going to take some electrician knowledge and I’m a custom woodworker so I’m making a wooden case to contain all the parts. If anyone’s interested, please PM me. Final cost TBD. But Phillips even has a well-rated one for 1600 RMB on Taobao that uses all 3 filters.

I just biked 65 km this morning and while I’m still alive, I’m not sure how many such rides I’ll take at these levels. At least, it’ll be nice to come back inside to clean air soon.

I’m currently designing and making a purifier that has about 1100 RMB of material costs in it, has all 3 of these filters, and will be a attractive end-table sized piece of furniture.

I’m very interested in these Justin. Just sent you a PM.

Did the slow and fast rides with Natooke last night, and woke up feeling like I had a smoking habit I’d forgotten about. Wore the mask for the fast ride around 2nd ring, but apparently Chengdu’s pollution don’t give a damn. Was considering another ride today until I saw…

FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY FUCKING SEVEN!!!!!

Jesus why aren’t we dead yet??

Participant

@Justin. I’m buying my plants for now as a cheap temporary solution to, at least, give me the placebo effect of having remotely clean air in my flat. Once the funds allow it, I may be interested in one of your pieces. The wooden casing is very tantalising. My next step is to get on the DIY wagon after pay day.

You come across any second-hand Jupiters over there? [pfah, you got Dad-joked]

I don’t know about Jupiter, but I hear Uranus is pretty cheap and easy to get.

Keymaster

I unintentionally made it sound, previously, like this one was a DIY/homemade purifier, and while it is in one sense, if I’m happy w/the results and aesthetics I’m going to start selling them. Charlie, I didn’t reply initially w/info on the how-to/DIY info of these as it’s going to take some electrician knowledge and I’m a custom woodworker so I’m making a wooden case to contain all the parts. If anyone’s interested, please PM me. Final cost TBD. But Phillips even has a well-rated one for 1600 RMB on Taobao that uses all 3 filters.

This sounds like an awesome project and I would be happy to help you promote this product. I have no problem donating ad space to things like this which are locally made and of real value to the community.

Participant

Pollution level: 4. Gotta be a mistake?
    http://www.stateair.net/web/post/1/2.html

Participant

I don’t know about Jupiter, but I hear Uranus is pretty cheap and easy to get.

Yikes!

All I can say is air must be bad because around the shop we’ve suddenly had a lot more folks asking about Respros…

These past couple days haven’t been half bad, however!

Participant

It’s back!!!!!  Get your masks on…..

Participant

Lost my Respro mask yesterday. Woke up to the airocalypse this morning. Hit Natooke for a new one. See Jacob pull out a pink one. Dilemma: protect lungs or wear pink (where i come from guys DON’T wear pink. You just don’t. It’s dangerous. Other guys don’t like guys to wear pink where I come from).
    Story has a happy ending: Jacob pulls out a blue one. Blue is OK. Dilemma averted. 🙂

Participant

How much are those mask anyway?

Participant

However, I’m not convinced (tho certainly open to some scientific studies being cited/linked to here) that these are going to really give you ‘clean air’

NASA, of all people, did a study about the effectiveness of plants on air pollution, seems like Chrysanthemum and peace lilies are pretty effective at filtering as well.

Participant

That’s right Liam, one reason snake plants are preferred on my end is they’re low maintenance. I found in summer some of them would get a little rotten if watered too much at the base, but most of the big ones survived and are still standin’ strong – even with occasionally two weeks or so of no maintenance whatsoever.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.