Doc Daneeka @ Xiong Mao – 2/17

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionDoc Daneeka @ Xiong Mao – 2/17

• This topic has 19 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoAM.
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I gotta say the Doc didn’t really do it for me last night, although he is a fine -looking man. But Charlie slipped me a flyer for an upcoming gig (March 16)which sounds very promising. I’m sure AM will fill us in on the details, but a quick google of Daddy Freddy suggests that this one could be very special. Hoping for some ferocious ragga action…

Participant
    Quote:
    I gotta say the Doc didn’t really do it for me last night, although he is a fine -looking man. But Charlie slipped me a flyer for an upcoming gig (March 16)which sounds very promising. I’m sure AM will fill us in on the details, but a quick google of Daddy Freddy suggests that this one could be very special. Hoping for some ferocious ragga action…

I think a lot of folk (myself included) were expecting Doc Daneeka to play uk funky and more bass heavy stuff, but he said he’d prefer to play house and we just let him play whatever he wanted.

Yeah, The Bug & Daddy Freddy should be huge. Some info…

The Bug has been making music for over 20 years. He has remixed people like Thom York, The Beastie Boys, The Asian Dub Foundation and collaborated with Cutty Ranks amongst many others.

He’s released music under a lot of different names for labels like Rephlex (Aphex Twin’s label), Hyperdub (Kode9’s label) and Ninja Tune (Coldcut’s label). He’s got a new album on the way soon. His last album, London Zoo, was released in 2008 to critical acclaim.

I know he’s very picky about the sound systems he plays on. I’m expecting a lengthy soundcheck and bass that you can feel in your hair.

Daddy Freddy – from wikipedia

He released his first album, Body Lasher, in 1986, and that year had six top ten hits in Jamaica, including a number one with “Joker Lover”, a collaboration with Pinchers.

After successful touring in the US under the Chrysalis record label, Freddy came to England in 1987. His first UK work was a collaboration with Asher D called, Raggamuffin Hip-Hop. This album created a new style of music that was a fusion of Jamaican ragga and UK hip-hop.

This album created even more interest for Freddy. Artists such as Dr. Dre, Cypress Hill, David Morales and Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim) all requested collaborations and others like The Prodigy, Me’lissa Morgan (“Through the Tears”), Salt ‘n’ Pepa and KRS-One all sampled his unique voice.

This fame culminated in Freddy attempting and breaking the World Record for World’s fastest rapper in 1989 as part of the Capital radio Music Festival. Eventually Freddy broke the record four times taking it from 346 to 598 syllables a minute. Renowned live performances have always been Freddy’s hallmark, most notably at the New Music Seminar in New York and Tim Westwoods live rap shows on Capital radio.

Participant

AM, if this is promoted on Chinese websites as “Fastest Rapper in the World” the turnout will be huge, maybe full house. Freddy is also reputed by some to be the originator of ragga, and i hope he features some of this in his set. Personally, for me this is more exciting than Krush or even Shadow. Next, let’s get Capelton or Million Stylz out here….that would be very nice…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I gotta say the Doc didn’t really do it for me last night

I hear you Ray, I went with high expectations as well. It was kind of like a night with local DJs, it just didn’t really pop. I even brought my camera and flash (the same from the Liman show at Xiong Mao) but didn’t take a single photo.

Oh well, in March there’s Disco Death with The Unik and The Bug.

I enjoyed the house. Thought it was a nice change from the usual. And the crowd was alright (XM has seen deader nights).

Freddy sounds really fun though. Looking forward to that

I enjoyed the house. Thought it was a nice change from the usual. And the crowd was alright (XM has seen deader nights).

Freddy sounds really fun though. Looking forward to that

Participant

The Doctor was in(to) the house….

sorry, couldn’t help myself….Lame Pun Racoon will go now…

Participant

The Doctor was in(to) the house….

sorry, couldn’t help myself….Lame Pun Racoon will go now…

Participant
    Quote:
    AM, if this is promoted on Chinese websites as “Fastest Rapper in the World” the turnout will be huge, maybe full house.

haha, the thought had crossed my mind.

Doc Daneeka played in Shanghai on Saturday and all the feedback I’ve heard from over there was that it was an amazing night. Ah well…

There are a few good things coming up at xiong mao in March. am444 on the 3rd, the bug & daddy freddy on the 16th and the unik on the 23rd. All should be class.

Participant
    Quote:
    AM, if this is promoted on Chinese websites as “Fastest Rapper in the World” the turnout will be huge, maybe full house.

haha, the thought had crossed my mind.

Doc Daneeka played in Shanghai on Saturday and all the feedback I’ve heard from over there was that it was an amazing night. Ah well…

There are a few good things coming up at xiong mao in March. am444 on the 3rd, the bug & daddy freddy on the 16th and the unik on the 23rd. All should be class.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.