EARTHQUAKE!!!!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEARTHQUAKE!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just wanted to say that this method of communication is quite good at this moment. Especially since the mobile network bombed out for a short time and now is extremely busy/impossible. But I have an important question – does anybody on here know anyone in Ya’An or the surrounds? I ask as I am the area Warden in Chengdu, representing the British Consulate and they may ask me to try and account for anyone British in the general area. Of course I know many people here in Chengdu – not just British of course, but any data would be useful. No need to post publicly of course if that is not appropriate – you can pm me instead. Thanks.

Participant

No way we could’ve gotten outside by the time we realized what was happening. The landlord just stopped by (lives in building next door), and he said to stand in a corner next to an internal building support. Also, just felt another aftershock about 2 minutes ago. I know that’s a yawn for most people. Still gets a tiny adrenaline rush for me.

Participant

Always heard to stand under door frame in bathroom. Structurally strongest place…?

Participant

BREAKING NEWS!

CCTV report earthquake… hours after the actual event.

*edit*

Earthquake report was rudely interrupted because Obama was giving a statement about bad things that are happening elsewhere and not in China.

Participant

That was extremely scary on the 24th floor. We just got away from the window and huddled up on the floor with my wife & daughter under me.

I question the likelihood of us being able to make it down 24 floors if there was a worse earthquake & almost wonder if it would be safer to just go up the 2 floors to the roof. I mean if the building collapses we are pretty much screwed no matter what, but at least on the roof we don’t have to worry about things falling on top of us.

Participant

I can feel that there are still small earthquakes.

Participant

That photo from Yaan is fake apparently. So I’ve been told, think the Sichuan government disclaimed it.

Lots of aftershocks still going as I write…shake,shake,shake…shake your booty!(sorry, couldn’t resist)

Growing up in an earthquake area, the advice used to be “stop, drop and cover” or, as Ray said, get in a door frame (preferably one in a supporting wall and face away from any glass).

The newest ideas are: “stop, drop and hold on (to a table)” or “stop, drop and cover (head/neck)”. Seems as though door frames are now considered to be no safer (or possibly less safe if it is an exterior door) than dropping to the floor next to an interior wall while covering your head and neck (think: face-down fetal position with hands over your head and neck). Curling up in your bed or on a sofa under cushions/pillows/duvet is considered safer than running from where you are.

Falling down and flying debris are the most likely ways you can be injured…fire afterwards can also be an issue (so turn of the gas after the shaking stops!).

Looking at the fishbowl of an apartment I live in -furnished with weak, mostly glass tables- interior door frames may be better than nothing…most of the latest advice seems to be from countries with earthquake building codes. Not sure those exist here…

My advice to all: stock up on some water, dried/canned goods, a first-aid kit and emergency blankets to make a camping-out kit that can last you at least 3 days (if you have a car, keep supplies there too). Every year, rotate the food and use the old supplies to go camping or for a picnic, or donate.

In the meantime, keep on rockin’ and rollin’ with the punches.

On a side note:

Anyone else notice that in some of the bigger parks there are signs in Chinese mentioning safe zones in the event of an emergency (listing things like tents and drinking water supplies)?

Anyone know of local disaster-preparedness, if any, here? (I know this could sound like a joke, but I am in earnest.)

Quote:
    but if the building is going to collapse I don’t want to die in a stairwell

In the middle of my not knowing what the hell to do as my building was shaking pneumatically, and discounting the idea of trying to make it down 22 flights, I ended up grabbing my duvet and heading for the spot on the floor between my sofa and table. My curiosity got the better of me though, and I ditched the idea to look outside instead and gauge the degree at which my building was swaying against the skyline. I could hear objects crashing in the floors above for a good 20-30 seconds or so, but it was the audibly rhythmic shaking that for a moment had me thinking the floors above might be collapsing. I pretty much resided myself to being a gonna for a few seconds, after which things settled. I’m not one for exaggeration, but that ranks as one of the most frightening experiences of my life. I live in Times Residence, and the structures are somewhat curious in their ‘H’ shape, and small foundation footprint, so the swaying on the upper levels is pronounced to say the least. I’m beginning to wonder if these are sound structures for an earthquake prone location. A few things took a tumble in my apartment, along with the nerves of a few hundred people who had made it into the streets by the time I got down.

Quote:
    Hopefully you would get out before then. In my experience, it takes quite a long time for them to really get going

If you live on a low floor near an open area where you don’t have to worry about falling objects then I can see the logic in leaving the building, if you are quick. It certainly feels safer to be outside than inside.

Quote:
    Always heard to stand under door frame in bathroom. Structurally strongest place…?

I heard that the best thing to do is lay next to a strong object like a bed or bath that could create a cavernous survival space should the building collapse. Obviously this should be away from objects that could fall on you.

Participant

This is gonna give me away as someone who is off the scale when it comes to being overly cautious (mentally scarred by experience), but in the few months we lived on the 30th floor of the dogdy apartment building, I would regularly take the stairs to see how long it would take and also just to get a feel for the terrain while conditions were good, just in case they were ever not so good.

It was pretty terrible. Apart from it being way too dark, the (concrete) stairs in the stairwell were actually slippery(?!) and there was inevitably garbage and construction crap lying around. Basically, it would have been an absolute nightmare to try and evacuate that building during or even after an earthquake, fire, or any other disaster.

Scary part is I get the feeling that our building (appropriately called “Rong Mansion”!) was nothing exceptional in Chengdu in that regard. It’s almost like they want you to die.

Participant
    Quote:
    If you live on a very low floor near an open area where you don’t have to worry about falling objects then I can see the logic in leaving the building, if you are quick.

The buildings/roofs fall in seconds. Even if you are on the first floor, yes even in China, it is NOT advisable to run outside.

See the tips from US FEMA:

Stay inside until the shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Do not exit a building during the shaking. Research has shown that most injuries occur when people inside buildings attempt to move to a different location inside the building or try to leave.

It is applicable even more in China if you say you are not certain about the quality of construction. The idea is to prevent any head-injury from falling debris – as many have said in this thread. The Chinese government guidelines say the same thing.

Quote:
    cavernous survival space

This is another rumor/wrong information circulated through lots of emails. Also referred to as the “Golden Triangle” at times. But research has shown it is not effective and can cause more deaths/injuries. Please google to know more about it.

Participant

Whilst its interesting and useful to hear all our stories about how frightened and useless we felt, does anyone have any good information or status from the epicentre? Contacts? Friends? Family? Personally my thoughts are with those in the area, even if that photo is not correct: a 6.9 will have caused major structural damage and injury and sadly people will probably have died too. At the last quake in 2008 we ex-pats managed to mobilise help for many people who needed it. I will be looking to see what can be done for those suffering now. Suggest we all do the same.

Participant

You can get news and updates here.

7.0-magnitude earthquake hits SW China’s Sichuan

Participant

still shaken,aftershocks

according to Provicial Earthquake Bureau,casualties climed to 100 plus now

Regard

Quote:
    it is NOT advisable to run outside

Agreed, as I had already stated in this thread. I was mearly saying that I could see the logic in why people do it. As you clearly point out though, the logic is flawed.

Quote:
    Also referred to as the “Golden Triangle” at times

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_triangle_of_life.htm

Interesting…

“According to Red Cross community disaster education manager Rocky Lopes, author Doug Copp’s earthquake survival suggestions don’t apply in the United States because they’re based on observations made in Turkey, where engineering and construction standards are different”

So where does that leave us in China?

Participant

Exactly – as I said – Golden triangle or Triangle of Life is a WRONG INFO or RUMOR circulated by emails.

‘Triangle of Life’ Earthquake Survival Method – this is the heading of about.com article you posted.

Description: Email flyer

Circulating since: Aug. 2004 (this version)

Netlore Archive: Doug Copp’s emailed advice on earthquake survival tactics entitled ‘Triangle of Life’ is disputed by search-and-rescue experts from the American Red Cross and elsewhere.

I think we should refrain from quoting something that is disputed by experts. At least HIGHLIGHT that it is disputed. To me, if we do NOT do that, it perpetuates the wrong information.

I think, in China, it leaves us at the same place as everywhere else in the word. DROP, COVER and HOLD in case of an earthquake. Do NOT run out while the earth is still shaking. Do NOT believe in the “Triangle of Life” myth/rumor.

Participant
    Quote:
    That photo from Yaan is fake apparently. So I’ve been told, think the Sichuan government disclaimed it.

I wouldn’t necessarily trust the govt, but my father-in-law also says the photos circulating are old photos from Taiwan, not Yaan.

(Father-in-law is a Taiwanese architect specializing in post-disaster reconstruction, so I’m inclined to believe him, but make it of it what you will.)

Participant

So for the first time in my life I was actually scared because of the earthquake tremors and I just got off the phone to my family who thought maybe I croaked it.

My mother was hysterical which is a normal response and my fathers advice was ‘Why on earth would you run down the stairs like a lunatic probably get trampled to death’ so I asked him what should I do if it happens again and classic advice my father gives is ‘Pour yourself a large scotch or any alcoholic beverage put on your music and chill, you can’t stop Mother nature’ then I am sure I heard my mother slap him.

So never mind canned goods, water supplies etc I am going to stock up on alcohol and devour the contents of my fridge. Also one of my colleagues ran out her apartment with her passport, money and a small bag full of emergency supplies and is still sitting outside somewhere scared ha ha that made me laugh although maybe it is not such a bad idea.

Participant

My cousin even has a wedding today. This will be a very impressive day for him.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 123 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.