EARTHQUAKE!!!!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEARTHQUAKE!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I literally got up like 6 minutes before the quake to take a shit. Wife is out of town at a wedding – about to go back to sleep, and it started.. grabbed my cats, and just chilled in a doorframe away from any glass or loose objects. Running out with everyone else in the stairwall like Ben said is a _bad_ idea.. when it was over just chilled inside and looked up USGS info, then went back to sleep.

There’s so much glass on the outside of a lot of buildings I don’t see why everyone wants to rush out and chill near the base looking at the building. The chances of a newer steel girdered building going down is pretty small imo – I’d be more afraid of the massive amounts of glass blowing out and shards raining down on everyone below.

Participant

Just drove up to the North on my motobike to check on my mum. Seems like a lot of people are trying to leave totally gridlocked on the 1st ring road.

Participant

Oh god – can imagine how bad traffic is. *Not* interested.

Glad I bought water yesterday, can imagine lots of people going to be ‘stocking up’ needlessly!

Participant
    Quote:
    Oh god – can imagine how bad traffic is. *Not* interested.

Rick making an observation not complaning about the traffic.

Participant

@Rick in China: much respect for grabbing the cats. Good man.

Participant

Ian – I meant not interested in leaving the apartment today due to the likely gridlock everywhere like you mentioned – not that I wasn’t interested in the info 😀

Participant
    Quote:
    Doug Copp’s emailed advice on earthquake survival tactics entitled ‘Triangle of Life’ is disputed by search-and-rescue experts from the American Red Cross and elsewhere.

I don’t want to get involve in a long-drawn out discussion on this, since I never heard of this “Triangle of Life” thing before today, but in the interests of sharing information, here is what the American Red Cross (apparently) actually said about it (unless this is a fake):

“The Red Cross is not saying that identifying potential voids is wrong or inappropriate. What we are saying is that ‘Drop, Cover, and Hold On!’ is NOT wrong — in the United States. The American Red Cross, being a U.S.-based organization, does not extend its recommendations to apply in other countries. What works here may not work elsewhere, so there is no dispute that the “void identification method” or the “Triangle of Life” may indeed be the best thing to teach in other countries where the risk of building collapse, even in moderate earthquakes, is great.”

http://www2.bpaonline.org/Emergencyprep/arc-on-doug-copp.html

I guess now all we have to do is work out whether the “the risk of building collapse, even in moderate earthquakes, is great” or not…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    That photo from Yaan is fake apparently. So I’ve been told, think the Sichuan government disclaimed it.

Thanks Andy, removed

Participant

Brendan – that does sound frightening! Glad you and everybody in Chengdu is safe, if mentally shaken.

Jane

Participant

@Melina

“work out whether the “the risk of building collapse, even in moderate earthquakes, is great” or not..”

Well, Chengdu was hit pretty hard by the 2008 quake – to my knowledge no buildings in the city collapsed. I’d wager the same holds true for any buildings put up since then, altho maybe some structural damage from 2008 weakened some crappy buildings or something I really don’t find a reason to suspect buildings will collapse in anything near or below the 2008 quake, which this one today was nowhere near 😀

Participant

That’s good to know, @Rick.

Actually, I felt pretty safe in the building I’m in now. All we did was open the front door just to ensure we wouldn’t get trapped in case it got worse and the door frame buckled or whatever.

Seems like people in Lushan have not fared so well though, already 57 reported casualties from collapsing buildings etc. I guess that’s more rural, so the buildings would probably be older and/or crappier? I just hope the numbers don’t get too much worse.

Just as a general point, I think it’s also worth remembering that the Richter scale is a logarithmic one or whatever its called, meaning a 7.0 earthquake is 10 times worse than a 6.0, and an 8.0 is 100 times worse than a 6.0. So one more point on the scale is quite an increase in terms of seismic energy.

I’m not sure how safe I’d feel if there was an 8.0 with the epicenter in Chengdu, even in a brand new building. Let’s hope we never have to find out.

Participant

Chengdu is near, but not on any fault lines.. so I don’t think we’ll have to experience the epicenter of any quakes 😀 Here’s an image of the nearby fault lines:

longmenshan_faults_6.gif

Seems both the 2008 and today’s were about as close as it’d get to Chengdu. Really feel bad for the people in the countryside to the west/northwest/north, not only are their buildings generally _shit_ but they’re sitting on a quake waiting to happen..

Participant

Graham

Quote:
    ex-pats managed to mobilise help for many people who needed it. I will be looking to see what can be done for those suffering now. Suggest we all do the same

I remember Heart to Heart were involved in advising volunteers how to prepare Care kits

The owner of the Bookwork, Peter Goff was very involved in despatching the kits to the affected areas.

Perhaps anyone who wants to help can start there, or advise if there are any alternatives or they are thinking of organising an event.

It is still quite early regarding news but it is a pretty bad.

CCTV13 reported a truck of 20 soldiers that went off a road into a river on the way to Lushan or nearby area.

Apparently around 50% of the buildings in Lushan have been badly damaged, more in surrounding areas.

A student of mine just told me a friend of hers died, brother injured and family homeless and without food and water.

Edit: I’m not sure if Peter will be involved this time. I don’t personally know him and perhaps if somebody does they may contact him and let us know rather than many people contact him individually.

Luckily there was no need to run out naked……

Participant

Live update of earthquake info here , and also China Daily. Death toll currently 82, 1000’s injured. Earthquake info, and photos on Ya’an Microblog.

Also, a live news feed of CDTV-1 (In Chinese) for anyone without cable/at work/not in CD.

Photos of Lushan, village of population 120 K and very near to the epicenter.

Quote:
    I remember Heart to Heart were involved in advising volunteers how to prepare Care kits

The owner of the Bookwork, Peter Goff was very involved in despatching the kits to the affected areas.Perhaps anyone who wants to help can start there, or advise if there are any alternatives or they are thinking of organising an event.

Seconding this. Anyone with any info on what people can do to help, or ideas of how we can use this site to help?

Participant

唐山地震告诉我们.不能晚上睡觉 ,汶川地震告诉我们不能睡午觉,雅安地震告诉我们不能睡懒觉… 所有地震告诉我们不能裸睡……

Quote:
    Anyone with any info on what people can do to help, or ideas of how we can use this site to help?

I think any ‘help’ involving the need for transport/travel is a bad idea for obvious reasons, the roads will have been at risk of both damage and gridlock within a short time of the quake happening.

One option for members of the forum wanting to do something for now might be to donate blood. It may well be in short supply given the number of injured. If anyone can post the locations of blood donor centres that would be useful.

Participant

#caution aftershock# It is reported that because of the remaining thermal energy you’d better stay outside during 7:00pm to 11:00pm today.The aftershocks may visit recently.

My mom sent me an SMS just now.I’m not sure about the prediction.just regard it as a friendly reminder.(:

Participant
    Quote:
    I think any ‘help’ involving the need for transport/travel is a bad idea for obvious reasons, the roads will have been at risk of both damage and gridlock within a short time of the quake happening.

Also, best not getting in the way of the rescue effort. There is plenty of manpower already. Having others there, particularly if they don’t speak Chinese creates more work than it does to help.

However, perhaps in the coming weeks it might be on the cards later as an option.

Quote:
    One option for members of the forum wanting to do something for now might be to donate blood

It is unfolding as we speak so I agree with you on this.

Best thing way to help is to donate blood and money.

Another question is where to donate money after Red Cross Society of China’s controversies before?

Perhaps via Ya’an Weibo ; Donations hotlines for Longmen Town : 0835—2242305, 0835—2362015 and 0835—2242325 as posted on gochengdu

Participant
    Quote:
    #caution aftershock# It is reported that because of the remaining thermal energy you’d better stay outside during 7:00pm to 11:00pm today.The aftershocks may visit recently.

Predicting earthquakes is really tricky, and really interesting. As it stands, scientists are fairly successful at predicting aftershocks, and China seems to have a fairly strong earthquake monitoring program. That being said, the Chinese Earthquake Administration has stated that the likelihood of a magnitude 7+ aftershock is small, and that this quake does not predict a potential larger earthquake.

Quote:
    Best thing way to help is to donate blood and money.

Another question is where to donate money after Red Cross Society of China’s controversies before?

I’m all for donating blood, but I’m not really familiar with China’s track record. Is it safe and sanitarily handled? I’ve heard a few horror stories about hospitals being insanely unsanitary, reusing needles etc., and definitely don’t want to be a part of that.

There was just a report on CDTV1 about Chengdu Blood Center, lots of people lining up to give blood.

More photos posted on 163. Awe-inspiring and heartbreaking.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.