Winter in Chengdu Pro-Tips

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWinter in Chengdu Pro-Tips

• This topic has 41 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoIan.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Keep warm tonight at Hemp House

Participant

Keep warm tonight at Hemp House

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @Charlie I think the tables at He Re Jun are just 9×5 pool tables, 2 of them on 3rd? floor..

They have a snooker table as well, I think. I don’t know how to play snooker but it just looks like an enormous pool table to me.

Quote:
    I can’t believe how freezing I am all the time, and I come from Scotland! Actually I’m going to buy some things from Uniqlo tomorrow as everyone is recommending it to me!!

How does the temperature now compare to February time? My friend is coming to visit and I want to go some cool places outside the city like Jiuzhaigou, but will it be too cold for that?

I know what you mean, it’s colder where I’m from also but it feels colder in Chengdu. It will get colder in January, I think that’s the low point in terms of discomfort in Chengdu.

I haven’t been to Jiuzhaigou in winter, but I’ve been told that’s the best time to visit. Not many tourists and the winter is beautiful there. No doubt it will be cold though, so prepare for that.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @Charlie I think the tables at He Re Jun are just 9×5 pool tables, 2 of them on 3rd? floor..

They have a snooker table as well, I think. I don’t know how to play snooker but it just looks like an enormous pool table to me.

Quote:
    I can’t believe how freezing I am all the time, and I come from Scotland! Actually I’m going to buy some things from Uniqlo tomorrow as everyone is recommending it to me!!

How does the temperature now compare to February time? My friend is coming to visit and I want to go some cool places outside the city like Jiuzhaigou, but will it be too cold for that?

I know what you mean, it’s colder where I’m from also but it feels colder in Chengdu. It will get colder in January, I think that’s the low point in terms of discomfort in Chengdu.

I haven’t been to Jiuzhaigou in winter, but I’ve been told that’s the best time to visit. Not many tourists and the winter is beautiful there. No doubt it will be cold though, so prepare for that.

Keymaster
    Quote:

Quote:

Participant
    Quote:
    can’t believe how freezing I am all the time, and I come from Scotland!

Most of the Swed’s and Finn’s I know that come here in winter swear it’s colder here. It’s clearly not.

I know many people say it’s the moisture. I believe it’s the insulation here. In other cold places you only ever transfer outside between very well insulated and warm places. Here because the insulation seems not up to much, or simply the restaurant door is open or wall missing you can easily transfer from the start of October to the end of May without been in the truly warm environment

We put a ‘Y’ pipe on our gas feed, and have a tube running from the kitchen to a portable cooking ring in the living room.

Of course you’ve got to be careful, but touch wood we’ve not had a problem but a dropped and singed glove in years.

the last time I looked at the math the heating is 10s RMB/month instead of 100s with the AC. We have a small place and heat it most evenings and many weekdays.

Cooking at home works well too.

Participant
    Quote:
    can’t believe how freezing I am all the time, and I come from Scotland!

Most of the Swed’s and Finn’s I know that come here in winter swear it’s colder here. It’s clearly not.

I know many people say it’s the moisture. I believe it’s the insulation here. In other cold places you only ever transfer outside between very well insulated and warm places. Here because the insulation seems not up to much, or simply the restaurant door is open or wall missing you can easily transfer from the start of October to the end of May without been in the truly warm environment

We put a ‘Y’ pipe on our gas feed, and have a tube running from the kitchen to a portable cooking ring in the living room.

Of course you’ve got to be careful, but touch wood we’ve not had a problem but a dropped and singed glove in years.

the last time I looked at the math the heating is 10s RMB/month instead of 100s with the AC. We have a small place and heat it most evenings and many weekdays.

Cooking at home works well too.

Participant

Hi guys I have been 2 years in China and there is something I still don´t get.

“Wear a very warm coat inside the office but leave windows open as often as possible. This will make sure the cold air can go out”

Well can anybody explain me that? It just doesn´t make sense to my south European point of view. Back home, when it´s freezing, we turn on any warming device and then close the windows to keep the space warm… is that behaviour that weird? And closing the doors and windows when the room is warm, is such behaviour that bizarre?

Thanks 🙂

Participant

Hi guys I have been 2 years in China and there is something I still don´t get.

“Wear a very warm coat inside the office but leave windows open as often as possible. This will make sure the cold air can go out”

Well can anybody explain me that? It just doesn´t make sense to my south European point of view. Back home, when it´s freezing, we turn on any warming device and then close the windows to keep the space warm… is that behaviour that weird? And closing the doors and windows when the room is warm, is such behaviour that bizarre?

Thanks 🙂

Participant

Actually, come to think of it (re: house heating), my friend was genius in his apartment design. He installed these water pipes in each room, and I was like “wtf do you need water pipes in your living room and bedroom?” — he installed these radiators which I guess are common-installation in northern/northeast/tibetan areas for winter heating.. they fill with piping hot water and maintain the heat well, and the water of course is heated from a little gas as per shower/etc. Winter is warm there. 😀

Insulation here is shit. The windows advertised as “multi-pane” or double-pane aren’t really like the ones you’d expect back home, and since most everything is cement rather than wood/insulation/drywall the heat escapes quite quickly. I don’t know whether this is true or not but I presume wood/insulation/drywall models don’t work well here due to humidity rotting the wood or whatever, maybe it’s just a cost thing.

Participant

Actually, come to think of it (re: house heating), my friend was genius in his apartment design. He installed these water pipes in each room, and I was like “wtf do you need water pipes in your living room and bedroom?” — he installed these radiators which I guess are common-installation in northern/northeast/tibetan areas for winter heating.. they fill with piping hot water and maintain the heat well, and the water of course is heated from a little gas as per shower/etc. Winter is warm there. 😀

Insulation here is shit. The windows advertised as “multi-pane” or double-pane aren’t really like the ones you’d expect back home, and since most everything is cement rather than wood/insulation/drywall the heat escapes quite quickly. I don’t know whether this is true or not but I presume wood/insulation/drywall models don’t work well here due to humidity rotting the wood or whatever, maybe it’s just a cost thing.

Participant
    Quote:
    Well can anybody explain me that? It just doesn´t make sense to my south European point of view. Back home, when it´s freezing, we turn on any warming device and then close the windows to keep the space warm… is that behaviour that weird? And closing the doors and windows when the room is warm, is such behaviour that bizarre

Tell me about it- I have been trying to figure this one out myself. None of us would need to buy all of these extra clothes/heating devices if they simply kept the buildings warm. The whole windows open thing drives me crazy- half of my office are sick with colds/coughs and wonder why they are sick. Maybe because you have the window wide open and it is 3 degrees inside?! I am from the North of England which is certainly colder than Chengdu, but winter just doesn’t feel as bad because you know when you get indoors you will be warm. I definitely think the idea here of “keeping the windows open to let out the germs” was started by an electric blanket/thermal clothing company.

Participant

Funny, Elizabeth391, funny.

I arrive 5 minutes early at my classroom, turn the AC on to warm it and close the windows. Then the students arrive with gloves, hats, 6 layers of clothes at least(typical question, how many layers do you wear today?) and then madly go to open the windows… I haven’t been able yet to convince them to keep the windows closed. Frustrating. My theory is that they had issues with bad combustion stuff some years ago and they still haven’t realized that NOTHING happens if you stay for few hours in a warm, shufu environment…

Keymaster

That is a truly funny assessment Elizabeth. A rationalization that I often hear is that there is rarely central heating and that heaters in China can have respiratory side effects like congestion. A few years ago I briefly worked in an office at the Fuhua Yuan Software Park which didn’t have heat, people wore jackets all day.

Superstition is deeply rooted in Chinese culture though, which is examined many times in this book. A lot I hadn’t heard of, like pre-Cultural Revolution cannibalism as reported by Taiwan’s first American Consul in 1903, James Davidson. Pre-Cultural Revolution as in, it was not purely for sustenance. That’s a very dramatic (horror movie-esque) example, but all of us have had probably had Chinese people tell us about how eating pigs brain makes you smarter, testicles impart virility in men, etc.

”空气流通,病毒溜出去“ is they saying that they have for their reasoning.

Participant

pro-tip: use magnets for faster acquiring

Participant
    Quote:
    Wear a very warm coat inside the office but leave windows open as often as possible. This will make sure the cold air can go out.

Quote:
    Well can anybody explain me that? It just doesn´t make sense to my south European point of view.

Quote:
    Tell me about it- I have been trying to figure this one out myself. None of us would need to buy all of these extra clothes/heating devices if they simply kept the buildings warm.

I was being sarcastic 😀

But to be honest you can also look at it from a different perspective. Back home during winter we could be cold inside our house wearing just a tshirt and crank up the thermostat a couple of degrees to fix that. Chinese people just add a sweater, or some extra pants underneath.

First world problems!!

Probably has a huge influence on energy costs and the environment as well.

Keymaster

I spent half the day at the spa yesterday with friends visiting from HK and had such a good time. That is hands down one of the best places to be in the Chengdu winter. They have a movie theater inside there now (not sure if it was there before or if I never noticed it) and the place was popping. I called a bunch of spas and it seems that most of them were closed for the holidays, but ol’ faithful Herijun on Nijiaqiao was open. 110 yuan to get in and another 100-yuan for a 100 minute massage. A few extra kuai for water, popsicles, and other stuff inside the place, which is charged to the balance tied to your bracelet which you settle when you leave. Can’t recommend that place enough.

Quote:
    Also Noahs Ark spa near Shen Xian Shu, but it costs 138 with a far superior buffet.

Does anyone have an address or phone number for this place? I gotta check that place out.

Participant

My heater’s broken and waiting for the parts to ship over… Meanwhile I think I’m dying. My hands are fucking freezing..

Chris, your back thingy isnt on tmall anymore. I wanna see what it is!

Participant

Hehe, yes, Chengdu winter is surprisingly harsh. I’m Norwegian and pretty used to the cold, but like many here have pointed out: in most other countries you go from warm indoors to cold outdoors, and then back indoors so it’s not really a problem. Here it’s just damn cold wherever you are.

Apart from my flat, that is. We managed to get underfloor heating installed when we decorated it, and since it’s a new building the insulation is suprisingly not too bad. Wouldn’t call it good, but better than many.

I recommend the underfloor heating to anyone who are planning on decorating or re-decorating, though I also have to mention that the companies who do it are pretty new to the concept, so expect to have them back a couple of times to stop every fuse in the place blowing when you run the heating in several rooms at the same time.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.