2012 New Music Thread

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion2012 New Music Thread

• This topic has 129 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoTy.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Participant

@ Brendan – Glasgow in da house! He is one half of TNGHT, I mentioned them earlier in this thread.

Played a couple of their tracks at the hemp house last week, they went down really well.

Hudson Mohawke don’t do no drugs.

Just realised looking back through this post I totally forgot about the release of Nathan Fake’s new album. Will be checking that out tonight. Drowning In A Sea Of Love is still a favourite album of mine.

Also been digging Coexist.

Still adore this off the first album…

Participant

TNGHT has been cycling through my playlist the last couple months, good tunes.

Quote:
    It’s not exactly new, but I couldn’t resist.

Keymaster

Just got the new Flying Lotus. Damn. That’s all I have to say. Haven’t really fully absorbed it yet.

Speaking of Hudson Mohawke, the first track FloLy played at Coachella was a sped up version of Furnace Loop. Set it off like crazy.

Quote:
    Dope new instrumental album:

http://theloniousmartin.bandcamp.com/album/mcmxcii

Damn, this is so good. “Child Like”, “Lovely Insomnia” and “Fifty|50” are my favorite cuts.

Participant

Brendan, after a few listens the Nathan Fake album is not quite as his earlier stuff.

However, on another note, Calexico have a new album. In spite of my electronic leanings, I think Feast of Wire is a diamond. Any views on the new one?

PS – The Robert Hood one is pretty nice too.

Participant

Bertie, been meaning to make my way through your list. Daphni is an alias of Caribou, right?

Loads of good stuff coming out at the moment. Listened to The new Grizzly Bear album and new Flying Lotus tonight. Both sound top notch.

Participant

And Mr Robert Hood ? Nah?

Yes, Daphni is also Caribou in a more dancy mood. Or he used to be called Manitoba as well.

Participant

If your are amping the FlyLo album then why not another genius:

http://soundcloud.com/musicmanrecords/robert-hood-drive-the-age-of

Participant

the xx – coexist

g dragon – one of a kind

Participant

A new Robert Hood mix? You got the full mix?

Last one of his I had was about 5 years ago…deep concentration / grey area

Participant

Not a mix, but more of a concentration of sounds and styles, I like it

Participant

Motor: Nighttime World 3

Bertalan, I haven’t had a full listen to the album (Steam Days) yet, owing to the fact that I haven’t been able to track down a decent Rip. Looks like the label is aggressively pulling Rips from anywhere it finds them.

Had 3 listens of Flying Lotus’s new album now, and have to say I’m completely underwhelmed by it. Some beautiful snippets in there, and I love to death that he dropped some (Williams) Defender samples into Me Yesterday/Corded, but otherwise it’s overhyped. Getting a little tired of artists running the choppy track times on albums too.

Participant

Was trying to post the Soundcloud links to some of the new Robert Hood stuff earlier. Trying again:

Drive (the Age of Automation)

The Exodos

Motor City

Slow Motion

Some of Steam Days there:

Cascade Airways

Sad Vember

Warble Epics

Keymaster

New Dillon Francis on Mad Decent:

I’ve been listening to / DJ’ing a lot of trap over the last 6 months. I fear it is about to jump the shark but the last few months there’s been some incredible new music in this genre.

Quote:
    Had 3 listens of Flying Lotus’s new album now, and have to say I’m completely underwhelmed by it.

Not everyone’s going to like it, that’s for sure. The reviews I’ve read (like this) have said it’s more accessible than his previous material but both Cosmogramma and Los Angeles are more upfront than this album. He’s going further into the experimental, dreamlike area of electronic music rather than the super bangin’ glitchy hip hop that defined his earlier albums. It reminds me of a funkier Boards of Canada but it would be unfair to say that anyone sounds like Flying Lotus right now.

Quote:
    That TNGHT Ep was bangin’ too.

Yeah, agree. TNGHT is really dope.

Quote:
    He’s going further into the experimental, dreamlike area of electronic music rather than the super bangin’ glitchy hip hop that defined his earlier albums.

Super bangin’ glitchty hip hop is definitely not what I’m ever likely to be looking for, and I think in fairness he was already in experimental territory on the last album. I think that’s the album that’s driven the attention to this one, but for me it hasn’t gone any further, even though it’s clearly well produced.

Then of course there’s also peeps like Dimlite who don’t get the props… Maybe because they don’t live in L.A. :/

From the 2005 album ‘Runbox Weathers’ (fails in the new music category I know!)

Love this off the recent album…

Gangham style by Psy, check it out!

Quote:
    Gangham style by Psy, check it out!

I just did, and I feel like I’ve been interfered with! I can’t work out if this guy is a complete piss take, or if everyone on the Psy train is ironically oblivious. Then I noticed ‘Gangham Style’ has 233 million views and it all made sense. Almost.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.